Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Looking for good POC on new build  (Read 4294 times)

SemperFi82

Looking for good POC on new build
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »

Looking for information on who to talk to about getting the results I'm looking for.  Personal experiences or vendors.

I'm going to be getting a 2010 Fat Boy Lo and want some improved performance and here is what I'm shooting for. I'll try and give all the information that I can, if I leave something out then make a educated guess. 
Expectations: I want to be able to have this bike completed with everything from the dealer and tuned together. 
The end result is to make sure that it will pull away from my [previous 2009 CVO Springer that had a exhaust and tune and pull away only to 100 mph, and that's pushing my limits. 
Riding style: The power I want to be there from time to time for a smile, no track racing or running lots of hole shots. Now for the parts.
Like I mentioned, I want this bike to come from the dealer with everything up and running so I need to have HD parts.  I know that they are not the best and are expensive but I'm including everything together so I won't have to shell out money for the bike, 3rd party parts, then money for install and tune.
Exhaust: Samson Legend Rip Saws Exhaust or Big Shots Vance & Hines Staggered Exhaust. Love em both and I know they are not "power producers".
Air intake is still undecided. Either SE Heavy Breather or something that produced good results.  Any opinions on good intakes, I'm all ears.
And if I had need to buy a 3rd party cam and/or send the heads off, please advise recommendations.  If I can get good SE cams, that'll work better but if it is really worth outsourcing to Andrews or Woods etc. for my performance needs then I will.
With the heads, I'm looking for good work from someone who has had good results. No experience in this matter.
Hopefully I have put enough info on here for some good feedback.  Riding style, expectations, and options.  Far as budgeting, I'm trying to get most of this included in the final costs of the package and not kill the pocket.  Thanks everyone.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Looking for good POC on new build
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »

SEMPER FI MARINE!!!

I built a Fat Boy similiar to what you want. My suggestion is to use the Screaming Eagle Catalog. That will solve the build parts issues since they are all Harley stuff.

The CNC Ported SE heads are well worth their money as is the 58mm throttle body.

You can use a 255 cam or higher with those heads.

I am not sure but if you want to go to a bigger bore there are some very good options there as well.

So consult with your dealer using the catalog and then decide what tuner, air cleaner and pipes will work best with the build.

Be sure to save and wrap all of your stock stuff. It has a good market and will help to offset some of your build expense.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 10:38:44 PM by CVOStreetglide »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:28:22 PM »

Sorry the SE MVA CNC heads and the SE255 cams would be a severe mismatch and is not part of any SE stage package. You can get a lot better results using a hybrid of SE parts and the aftermarket as I described in this posters other thread. A good performance oriented HD dealer know how to match the parts and can perform custom tunes to dial it in afterwards. Docs in St Louis is just such a dealer or at least they were when Danny was working there, don't know now. They have an excellent tuner

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »

Sorry the SE MVA CNC heads and the SE255 cams would be a severe mismatch and is not part of any SE stage package. You can get a lot better results using a hybrid of SE parts and the aftermarket as I described in this posters other thread. A good performance oriented HD dealer know how to match the parts and can perform custom tunes to dial it in afterwards. Docs in St Louis is just such a dealer or at least they were when Danny was working there, don't know now. They have an excellent tuner

Deweys heads:

Here's what I am thinking for him to do based on the fact that he wants to stay close to Harley and have a good boulivard burner up to 100mph. This combination works in my experience and adheres to what is asked. Of course there are far more radical builds that can be done but....

A. SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO
STAGE IV KIT – 103 CUBIC INCHES*
Here’s a 103 cubic inch racing kit that puts it all together
for you. If your looking to build a fast, track ready, 103 kit
and want to buy all the components you need to maximize
your results, here’s the kit! This eliminates the guess work
on what components you should use and what works well
together. We’ve put all the components together including
SE performance heads that provide a great performance
upgrade for a 103ci at a very attractive price. Kit includes our
high performance / high flow Screamin’ Eagle Performance
110+ Heads which include large intake valves at 2.125" diameter
(our biggest ever), high compression forged aluminum
10.5:1 pistons matched to the 110+ heads, an SE260 cam to
open the valves appropriately, allowing the right balance of
air and fuel to enter, Perfect-Fit Pushrods to accommodate
the higher cam lift, a 58mm EFI throttle body to get that air
flow to the heads, big 3-7/8" diameter highlighted cylinders,
then topping off this kit off with a “must have” Super Tuner
to provide the right tuning capabilities. Kit includes gaskets.
For race application only.
*Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will
allow engine to rev to 6200 RPM. See dealer for details.
Labor cost not included.
27516-08 Black. $2,398.95
Fits ‘07-later Dyna®, ‘07-later Softail® and
‘07 Touring models. Not compatible with cruise control.

SemperFi82

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:51:38 AM »

I was looking the at Stage IV kit and I have a good quote for installation and tune from Denny's HD in Springfiled, MO.  I am concerned though that this kit is too high end and comes on to late in the RPM range.  Like the numbers that is has but would like to hit the higher numbers shorter in the RPM band.  The torque kicks in quickly in the 110 Street Legal kit and the power is pretty instant. 

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:48:13 PM »

I was looking the at Stage IV kit and I have a good quote for installation and tune from Denny's HD in Springfiled, MO.  I am concerned though that this kit is too high end and comes on to late in the RPM range.  Like the numbers that is has but would like to hit the higher numbers shorter in the RPM band.  The torque kicks in quickly in the 110 Street Legal kit and the power is pretty instant. 

FIRST---BOTH Deweysheads and I are trying to give you recommendations for a workable solution..

That being said, I think that the configuration I suggested will do the job---based on my previous Fat Boy build.  It's fast but not troublesome and will give you reliable service as well as performance when you want it to. 

Regarding your concern--If you want the power to come on earlier there are a couple of items that will do that.

One is getting a cam configuration that has the specs you want. (See the new Screamin Eagle Catalog).  The other is to drop a tooth on the primary gear. It will get you out of the hole earlier and the torque will be where you want it. Then as you go through the gears and settle on 6th it will run along at highway speeds all day and give you fairly good mileage. 

Regards

aka_Matt

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »

how about these parts... make your own kit with parts that work better together

SE MCR heads, # 16952-08... $950
SE Big Bore cyls, # 16546-99... $300
SE Cast pistons, # 21966-07... $175
SE 259e cam, # 25482-10... $300
SE Super Tuner, #32109-08a, 32111-10, 32184-08, 32101-10... $560
thats $2285, plus u will need the pushrods, unless u reuse the old ones...
or go here and pick a kit that is proven to work: http://protwin.com/index.aspx
2004 XL1200C: Blue/Flames, Chrome Everything, 2-1 Rinehart, Mid-Controls, 17" Deuce Wheel, And More... For Sale

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »

Talk to Tom or Steve at AMS (Automotive Machine)  800-210-8675.  Tell them what you have and what you hope to achieve.  They will give you good solid advice.  I did and I'm very happy with what I have.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

SemperFi82

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »

I have looked at the Screaming Eagle Catalog, but with me having little knowledge of what I'm looking for in order to achieve my desired results, I can only look at the kits.  And I've read so many people saying that they had to mod those kits and they wish they had done something else.

aka_Matt, thanks for the part list that you provided.  Have you seen this kit together and any idea of the numbers it should produce?

CVOglide, thanks for the information.  I've been looking at parts and want to make sure these are the heads your talking about---A. SCREAMIN’ EAGLE® PRO MAXIMUM VELOCITY AREA (MVA) CYLINDER HEADS – CNC PORTED
I've started looking at places to have stock heads ported and polished and that seems to be close to 1000 for a good job. So going with the SE probably is a good idea and the port volume at 98cc seems rally good. I'm guessing!
Having a tooth removed from the primary, never heard of that. Please educate me, is that meaning buying a new gear with one less tooth or changing the stock one?
And should i try and go to a 103 with your recommendation, or will that just start getting really expensive?255 cams do seem to be what I'm looking for.  Are the HD Heavy Breathers a good choice for intake? Recommend something else?

Thanks again to everyone.  It sucks trying to absorb all this information but I don't want to throw away money and time in the long run.

SemperFi82

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 08:43:26 PM »

Talk to Tom or Steve at AMS (Automotive Machine)  800-210-8675.  Tell them what you have and what you hope to achieve.  They will give you good solid advice.  I did and I'm very happy with what I have.

Chris

Is this place a 3rd party vendor or do they stock HD parts?  It would be cool to talk to someone about getting where I want, but I also don't want to waste someones time when they say It's 3 grand to me out of pocket and then additional cash to have your dealer install and tune.  That is the only reason I need to stick with mostly HS parts, I can include it on the price of a new bike and get a discount.
Wish I had enough money to install whatever i could and the speed would rip my arms off when I gassed it.  But hey, that'll never happen.

Appreciate the reference and please let me know what where the conversation would lead.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 08:49:17 PM »

Work with a dealer, retain warranty at least with your home dealer.
Find a performance oriented dealer in your area
Look at the list of parts AKA Matt put up. It is SE parts and will run decent.
Those MVA heads on the 103 will turn it into a pig unless you chenge the gearing radically.

SemperFi82

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 09:02:51 PM »

Work with a dealer, retain warranty at least with your home dealer.
Find a performance oriented dealer in your area
Look at the list of parts AKA Matt put up. It is SE parts and will run decent.
Those MVA heads on the 103 will turn it into a pig unless you chenge the gearing radically.
The SE MCR heads are a better match?

aka_Matt

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »

i don't have any experience with those parts, i just put those parts together while writing the post... i picked stuff that would work better than the HD "kit"... the chambers and valves in the MVA heads r way too big for low end power in a small motor, they work better in 117" and bigger motors... i would guess the parts i listed would give u about 95-100hp and 110tq, and would give good performance in the 2400-5800 range, as long as u have a good exhaust and tune...
2004 XL1200C: Blue/Flames, Chrome Everything, 2-1 Rinehart, Mid-Controls, 17" Deuce Wheel, And More... For Sale

SemperFi82

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 09:23:16 PM »

i don't have any experience with those parts, i just put those parts together while writing the post... i picked stuff that would work better than the HD "kit"... the chambers and valves in the MVA heads r way too big for low end power in a small motor, they work better in 117" and bigger motors... i would guess the parts i listed would give u about 95-100hp and 110tq, and would give good performance in the 2400-5800 range, as long as u have a good exhaust and tune...
Sounds good. I think it will help if I have some sort of idea of parts before I ask the dealer.  I've talked to a few dealers already about the kits but I know that they all will try to make a buck and I don't blame them. It's how they make their living.
But if i walk in with a list of parts and go from there, I think I'll achieve better results.  I know they'll get the exhaust and intake for me but liked I mentioned, I want to have a good idea of what they want to push. Hope that makes sense.
And are the numbers you are thinking including a good exhaust and intake? And are getting the stock heads ported and polished worth it or should I run with the SE heads? 

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:22 PM »

The SE MCR heads are a better match?

I think you should use the kit I recommended. Get a copy of the SE Catalog and look at what is included. It's a real good value. Remember Harley spent a lot of time selecting the components for each kit and pricing the package so it was appealing to guys like us.

There are Dyno performance graphs for the kit and the others as well in the catalog. This kit is a 100hp/100-110tq performer.

If you are buying the bike and getting the work done at the dealer there should be some "negotiating room" that make the transaction a win/win for you both.

To answer your questions:

1. I recommend the Zippers larger Air Cleaner filter made by K&N for them which will fit the 58mm throttle body.

2. Yes you can buy a gear with fewer teeth. Andrews makes several gears but I would only loose 1 tooth.

Everybody here is trying to give you their best advice. So try and read up on every one of the suggestions here and educate yourself some more so you are comfortable when you make your decision.

Remember the pipes are last after you decide what motor upgrades you want to do. A good 2 into 1 is always a good pick.

Regards

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.