Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: OCC PROPERTY UP FOR SALE  (Read 5233 times)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
Re: OCC PROPERTY UP FOR SALE
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »

Well guys it has been quite a while since we picked this scab .  The bike that "Discovered" them was the Spiderman bike, built by Junior, yeah in his Dad's shop.  Junior was the creative spark, Senior was the money and the antagonist.  The "reality" formula worked for quite a while (including Mikey as the comic relief).  But as always, money, greed, and jealousy became entitlement, resentment and rage.  The sycophants in Senior's office didn't help either, constantly whispering in the dark that "we don't need your lazy kids".  It became a "TV SHOW" not a motorcycle company, and show biz pays much, much better.  The "Stars" were Senior and Junior and the rest were supporting actors, and if they had only realized that, they might have played out the series amicably, instead, they are no longer a family, just wealthy relatives separated forever by unforgivable words, physical threats, chairs thrown across rooms, and costly lawsuits.  Counting your money isn't nearly as important as holding your grandkids.

I can't take a side, there is blame to go around, but from personal experience I have found that hiring "family" is placing yourself in a very difficult spot.  If your sister's son comes in late day after day and you fire him, you now have a family feud.  If you don't, the rest of your employees will begin pushing the same buttons. Junior and Mikey came to view themselves as TV personalities, Senior viewed them as high priced employees.  Who made OCC the financial juggernaut that it became, is like the chicken and the egg.  But at that very point, just before they shot the first episode, if I could take one or the other, I'd take Junior.

OWL

1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »

Having raised 4 sons and having 2 work for me for a time went very well. One was very creative and the other was a work horse.  Family came first, you can run a business with family members if mutual respect & the rules are well laid out and followed.  I'm now retired but wouldn't create a toxic atmosphere that would jeopardize a close relationship with them and our grandchildren.  As one of my customers used to say money is just dirty green paper printed by the government for us to spend. 

2015FLHTKSE

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:24 AM »

Well said Owl. It's a shame what money can do to destroy families and friendships. Same as Ray I started a business with two of my sons and as successful as it was (recycling) , I got to a point where I thought it was best to retire and turn the company over to my sons. Got rid of the anxiety, responsibility and now all I do is oversee what they do from afar. I've been to OCC several times and always enjoy it, burgers are great.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 25 queries.