Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley and Chief Marketing Officer part company  (Read 11205 times)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
Harley and Chief Marketing Officer part company
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:50:17 PM »

In a move that appears to have been signposted by Harley-Davidson's October third quarter fiscals, Harley has parted company with its Senior VP/Chief Marketing Officer Mark Hans Richer.
At the time of writing it wasn't clear if Richer had received a better offer, had fallen on his sword, or had been invited by CEO Matt Levatich to pursue the next stage of his career elsewhere.
Either way, the biggest surprise about the announcement is not that it has happened at all, but that it didn't happen before Harley's Q3 announcement. Then again, Richer's divesting of share options some three months ago (he wasn't the only senior executive or board member to be doing so) may hint at an earlier decision and a tactically delayed announcement.
In a statement, CEO Matt Levatich said: "In his time with Harley-Davidson, Mark Hans was instrumental in achieving our transformational goals, including expanding our reach to both core and outreach customers, and we thank him for his contributions. The changes are an important piece of the company’s recently announced plan to build on its leadership position in the market and grow demand, with a key objective to lead in every market."
Those who have been voicing surprise at Richer's departure clearly had not read between the lines of Levatich's October statements, and his reference here concerning "expanding our reach to core customers" shouldn't be allowed to fool anyone.
The new marketing and four-point action plan that accompanied the quarterly financials contained a thinly veiled critique of the bottom-line effectiveness of Harley's marketing policies; hinting that for all the benefits that out-reach, crowd sourcing and exploitation of new customer demographics may have brought, and that "likes" and Twitter followers had generated, hadn't translated into sufficient metal shifted at a time when the company had allowed its core demographic and patronisingly referenced "legacy" customers to go shopping for competitive offerings.
If the company had managed to convincingly expand its reach to core customers, then they'd have left Polaris no demographic real estate to occupy with Indian.
Richer joined Harley from GM in 2007, while Jim Ziemer, a 40 year Motor Company veteran, was CEO and two years before Keith Wandell was hired to fire fight the company back into the world of the living. Since joining Harley, Richer had successfully consolidated his position, accruing seniority and a burgeoning portfolio of "reports."
His prior positions have now been shared out between two of the executives he had hired.
Sean Cummings (a very experienced international powersports and recreational products industry executive) moves up from Latin American market management to being Senior Vice President of "global demand." Cummings joined Harley in 2014.
Shelley Paxton steps up to become VP Marketing and Brand from her Digital Strategy Officer and VP Global Integrated Marketing and Planning roles, having joined Harley (from Omnicom Media) in 2010.
While Richer was surprisingly well regarded for the marketing job he'd done among Harley's dealers, the speculation will be that Levatich hasn't been minded to trust him with the job-loss funded additional emergency marketing spend that he unveiled last month.
Meanwhile, the scope of those job losses being used to pay for the emergency marketing spending has become apparent with 250 lay-offs of salaried staff expected by the end of 2015 and speculation already rife in the Milwaukee area that this will turn out to be just a first stage tranche of job losses.
These job losses come just two years after the company started to see the full $50 million annual benefit the 950 job cuts and benefits changes triggered by the new seven-year labor contract that was eventually agreed with Harley's unions in 2010. That "agreement" was only finalized after then CEO Keith Wandell had threatened that the company would consider leaving Wisconsin if the unions weren't prepared to play ball.
Having lost some 15 percent of its stock market capitalization within 24 hours of the October Q3 financial announcements, and having struggled to recover any more than around a third of that value by the time of the November 4th Richer announcement, as of 24 hours later Harley's stock was still moribund at around $50, still $6 south of its pre-Q3 announcement level.
Meanwhile Keith Wandell has added further to his portfolio of independent directorships with a seat on the board at Dover Corporation, the diverse 7.8 Bn turnover owner of PMI (Performance Motorsport Inc), itself the owning division of such powersports industry staples as Wiseco, JE Piston and X-Prox in The Netherlands.
Dover is currently seeing Group sales decline (-9 percent for the first nine months of the year), so are no doubt eyeing Wandell's turn-around expertise; as did his bankrupt former competitor, battery maker Exide Technologies, when they poached him as their new Chairman earlier this year - a role he accepted in tandem with bringing his trusty side-kick at Harley along for the ride - CFO John Olin, as a board member at Exide as the company prepared to exit from its bankruptcy protection filing.
Interestingly Harley-Davidson has so far been coy about the batteries it plans to use for its promised Project LiveWire E-Bike. Although Exide has always been a traditional lead-acid battery maker, they have been and are investing heavily in electric vehicle battery technology and research ... what price the LiveWire having Exides in it, if it does finally ever enter production?

Posted by  DealerWorld     at  03:00
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Harley and Chief Marketing Officer part company
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »

In a move that appears to have been signposted by Harley-Davidson's October third quarter fiscals, Harley has parted company with its Senior VP/Chief Marketing Officer Mark Hans Richer.

If the powers at the MOCO believe their sales problem is due to marketing deficiencies, they are truly misguided.  It doesn't bode well for our hopes of improved quality and reliability.  Not to mention customer service at both the factory and dealership level.    :nervous:

I have bought my four wheel vehicles from the same salesman at the same dealership for about 20 years.  With each purchase, I tell the salesman he has yet to sell me a vehicle, and that my purchases are a direct result of the outstanding vehicle quality and outstanding service department of the dealership.  I think he thinks I'm kidding him, but trust me, I am not...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:00:50 AM »

If the powers at the MOCO believe their sales problem is due to marketing deficiencies, they are truly misguided.  It doesn't bode well for our hopes of improved quality and reliability.  Not to mention customer service at both the factory and dealership level.    :nervous:
Well said.

Hard to tell if Levatich really believes it's a marketing problem, or if he just needed a scapegoat to blame for the downturn (more likely).  I see more ads for HD, in more places, than ever in my life, and most of them are appealing.  They don't do a thing to offset the poor quality, high cost (purchase, service, parts), monopoly policies (dealer only wants to use HD parts to replace inferior OEM parts), and lousy dealerships.

The CEO and his minions need to get out and ride so they can listen to what regular people have to deal with for their bikes.  Instead, they're just shooting blind.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 08:33:15 AM »

I do not believe the issue has anything to do with Marketing. 

its core demographic and patronisingly referenced "legacy" customers to go shopping for competitive offerings.

I think the above sums it up.  Core or legacy customers are getting tired of the quality issues, cost increases for reduced quality or reduced content. 

Heck they do not even invest in bold new graphics for the bikes anymore.  11,15 and 16 CVO road glide has same paint design.  How many years has it been the same design on the limited?  four or five?

3rd year of production or the new boom head-unit which still has software issues. 

Motor Company Customer Service sucks and does not help.

I think HD core or legacy customers are hoping Indian will offer better quality, customer service or content.  Same with Polaris, more content and better reliability is the hope HD customers are having for them.

I know I have been looking.  I have also demoed BMW and Indian. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:57:36 AM »

The actual product doesn't matter, it's all about selling it.  Don't forget, it was the American mind that decided to sell Pet Rocks, and it was other American minds that paid big bucks for a common rock.  People these days vilify Wall Street, but they should really be bashing Madison Avenue for all the lies, half-lies, and complete BS we have to wade through each and every day. 

Give me a truly world class product in terms of features, quality, and reliability, and I don't need a bunch of BS and lies to sell it.  Offer refrigerators to an Eskimo, however, and it takes a world class BS artist to complete the sale.  Harley is just looking for a better BS artist.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 09:37:35 AM »

Several friends have sold their Harleys.  New hobby, got tired of riding, did not want to spend $2-5k on a new bike or the next bike to make it right for them.  Getting older plays a role, as well as the economy which is ok/sideways/yet down in 1 important area - income. The new HD bikes are not perceived by many ex-owners or current owners as being worth it.  Cost/benefit does not pan out.  Shoddy quality & an inability to fix stuff like a spiffy Infotainment system in a reasonable time frame have more than a few shaking their heads "not yet" about that "next new bike."  Why go there when you have one you spent $$ on to make it "right" is the question?

Can a marketing campaign address all that & work wonders?  No.  Will a new marketing campaign sell more bikes?  Probably.  Why?  People like to be told stuff, marketing figures out what they like to be told.  Youth, sex appeal, looking cool, lemming strategy, iconoclast strategy - lots of angles.  HD needs newbie riders more than anything. Newbies do not have the knowledge of the product, they find out after they buy one all the things they need.  Some stay bone stock but from what I see not that many. Delayed sticker shock.

My guess is HD sales will be eroded by competition from companies like Polaris more than the metrics in the cruiser category.  My guess is HD will continue to concentrate on the Touring models for the older current riders and offer new lighter weight stuff for the perceived new-to-HD riders.  Sales this year will be down, they have already said that. 

HD rode up with the Dot.com boom of the 90s and the good economy.  That boom crashed in the late 90s but the residual effect for HD - folks with $$ to spend on toys - did not really crater until their sales drop about 8 or so years ago.  The buyers might be there, but they are spending their money on stuff that is not toys or other toys, or they are looking for better paying jobs which are not there.

HD continues on.  Will be interesting to see if they maintain market share.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »

They don't need a marketing executive.....they need a true quality control person.  Take care of the quality control and the rest will take care of itself.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »

My two cents:  The days of Harley riders putting up with the brand just to keep the company going or being able to say "I own a hog/Harley/hawg, not just this T-Shirt" are further and further behind us. 

The 50s and 60s brought us rough, tough Harley riders and a decent product. 

The 70s and early 80s brought us "I don't care what I have to do to make this piece of crap run, I'm riding my AMF Harley" type of rider.  HD sales tanked because of poorer and poorer quality during this time frame and because of new, better made, better running offerings (sounds familiar, don't it?). 

The mid-late 80s, 90s and early 2000 actually were fairly decent years for Harley and folks that rode them.  Yes, there were problems as there have been all through the MoCo existence but the overall "feeling" was good from a rider and product point of view.

Today the MoCo continues to buy into the 90s idea that they can still sell whatever they put in the showrooms like they did 20 years earlier.  Their belief is people want a Harley, poor quality/customer service/high priced or not.  Such is no longer the case with quality, price and customer service top of the list sending folks to other, "perceived better" offerings.

Cut production, increase quality control and customer service and keep a lid on the price increases and people will come back to Harley.  The MoCO doesn't need to waste the resources in advertising/marketing the Harley brand as the best, it needs to spend that money proving it .

When word of mouth from actual owners/riders changes direction, people will take notice
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:28:41 AM by Haird »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »

They don't need a marketing executive.....they need a true quality control person.  Take care of the quality control and the rest will take care of itself.  :nixweiss:

Quality control - yes.  But more important is engineering and product development. 

I believe there are more than a few components that are manufactured and installed exactly as designed, but still fail on a regular basis.  Lifters and compensators come to mind... 

That said:

I don't think lifters necessary fail because of the lifter design, but rather they fail due to larger overall design failings of the valve train and basic oiling of the current twin cam. 

And, compensators, I believe, fail not only due to being a flawed compensator design, but in the bigger picture, they fail because of the overall design of the "cruise drive" which caused the need for the current compensator.

Just two large examples - and there are many others.

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:42:08 AM »

Like many have stated quality control definitely is a problem/concern but one other thing that has turned my taste negatively at the dealer level (and partly controlled by MoCo) is they are getting rid of all the "Mom/Pop dealers". All the dealerships IMO are turning into "Super Walmart's" (not that I have any issues w/"Super Walmart's" I go there get what I want and get the hell out :))... I don't have as much time owning/riding H-D's (started in late 90's, before that was "rice rockets"), but when I did start my local dealership was still what one would consider a "Mom/Pop" dealership (small store in a strip mall). It was owned by a rider that was there on a regular basis, he knew all his customers on a first name basis, would shoot the chit w/you, ride with, and party with you. He eventually opened up a big box ("Super Walmart") location on a major interstate but was still there on a daily basis, and kept the same philosophy until he sold the dealership. Now you have owners of dealerships that own multiple locations (with little to no personal contact with some/any of them), you have dealerships owned by those that have/own auto dealerships that don't ride (nor give a chit about riding).... I don't have anything against auto dealers but I think they (some) have the attitude because of the volume of sales compared to volume of motorcycle sales they don't have to provide a personal customer service experience because there will be many others beating down the door to buy the product (not so the case as H-D is currently seeing w/the drop in sales).

Lastly I would like to add when I got involved w/H-D's I would visit the dealership on a (sometimes) weekly basis... just stop in, shoot the chit, see what was new, etc., etc. During those visits it felt like visiting friends/family... I was warmly greeted (by name), had/went out to lunch w/the employees, rode with them, etc., etc. They knew the product and didn't get the deer in the headlight look if you asked them something. Now days w/the big box stores when you go in it seems like there is always new employees, they don't know you, or know the product. I think in the last several years I've probably been to a dealership less than 5 times (if that many). All my service is done by an independent, I try to buy/use aftermarket parts as much as possible, and no longer stop at dealerships to buy t-shirts if/when I'm travelling. I have enough H-D t-shirts already and don't feel compelled to buy more to provide them free advertising. :soapbox:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:38:36 PM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »

Quality control - yes.  But more important is engineering and product development. 

I believe there are more than a few components that are manufactured and installed exactly as designed, but still fail on a regular basis.  Lifters and compensators come to mind... 

That said:

I don't think lifters necessary fail because of the lifter design, but rather they fail due to larger overall design failings of the valve train and basic oiling of the current twin cam. 

And, compensators, I believe, fail not only due to being a flawed compensator design, but in the bigger picture, they fail because of the overall design of the "cruise drive" which caused the need for the current compensator.

Just two large examples - and there are many others.
Spot on Scott.  The best procedures followed by the best assemblers still yields junk if the design and/or parts are not capable of holding up under normal conditions. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

skycat

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: Silver/Black 2015 Street Glide.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »

Totally agree with all comments, Everyone that sees my Street glide just loves it and pass on comments like WOW it looks beautiful.
Well little do they know all the crap we have to deal with, trying to keep a 25 year old design running in 2015 they require a lot of hands on very often, not really a daily ride.

My hart is saying get another Harley, but my brain and my wife are saying no way.  :o

Could be Indian time, there new engine is way ahead of the old Harley design just need to change the guards.  :nixweiss: 
2015 CVO Street Glide, not as good as it should be, Working on that it just needs time, like a good wine.
2010 Buell 1125R, my favorite blaster.
2003 Harley FXDL 100th Anniversary, a little gem.
1975 Suzuki RE5 Rotary 1200km as new.
2012 Suzuki GSX1250FA the perfect Hack. Awesome Bike

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 05:07:20 PM »

Never in the history has HD been at the level of great or even good quality, or design. It's always been subpar and my bet is that it is getting better. You can compare to American cars. Been subpar for most of their history. It's in the last few years they have gotten better. Especially Ford have done a great job. (I don't own a Ford, never had).

HD sell a "life style" and that is why they get paid so much for each unit. I own many different brand bikes and I like my HD but I know what it is and what it is not. I will not by another CVO after I get rid of this one but I will probably buy another HD some time.

Now getting back to marketing......... Communication is only a small part of marketing. Market intelligence and strategy is a much bigger and more important part of the job. If you get the strat part wrong Everything behind it will be a struggle.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 09:43:34 PM »

Harley is a victim of their own success.  Their level of integration with after-sale upgrades and add-on's are un-parallel.

Although we all know it not perfect... the administration of the parts catalog alone is huge....when considering a bike or part design change.... Marketing develops a business model that takes into account both forward and backward compatibility issues and how this might effect the business and make recommendations. That's Marketing...not hanging banner at a bike rally---that promotion.  Which is all I think Indian has done.

Believe it or not, Harley in one of the best well managed corporations in the world.  Are they perfect...no...there is always room for improvement. 

But when you look at the whole package...HD Motorcycles, HD upgrades, HD attire, DH dealer network, and HD aftermarket stuff....MOCO is impressive and can trade profit for market share anytime they want to.

Got to go now.... need to change my compensator :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:45:37 PM by Cat Eye »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »

Cut production, increase quality control and customer service and keep a lid on the price increases and people will come back to Harley.  The MoCO doesn't need to waste the resources in advertising/marketing the Harley brand as the best, it needs to spend that money proving it .

When word of mouth from actual owners/riders changes direction, people will take notice

That sums it up pretty well in my opinion. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 21 queries.