Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Proposed Fed. Helmet Law  (Read 6449 times)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Proposed Fed. Helmet Law
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:47:55 PM »

« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:33:33 PM by ultrabluz »

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
Re: Proposed Fed. Helmet Law
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 09:12:12 PM »

SAY IT AINT SO!  [smiley=furious.gif]

[smiley=helmet.gif] <--- JUST SAY NO!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 09:55:46 PM »

SAY IT AINT SO!  [smiley=furious.gif]

[smiley=helmet.gif] <--- JUST SAY NO!

"NATIONAL HELMET LAW AVOIDED  Due to quick actions by national and state motorcycle rights organizations and concerned individual riders, an attempt to amend a helmet law requirement into the federal highway bill has been averted.

Just days before Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) intended to introduce yet another national helmet law mandate as an amendment to the Senate's version of the transportation reauthorization measure SAFE-TEA (HR 3), word was spread over the Internet and through discussion groups which mobilized bikers nationwide to flood their Senators' offices with e-mails and phone calls urging them to oppose the amendment.

On Wednesday, May 11, the Lautenberg Amendment to reinstate the federal helmet law that he helped mastermind back in 1991, which was eventually repealed after heavy lobbying by bikers in 1995, was decisively defeated by a vote of 69-28.

The amendment would have diverted a portion of any state's federal highway funding into safety programs if that state did not have and enforce a mandatory helmet law for all motorcycle riders."

One of Ohio's Senator's (DeWine) voted for the blackmail and one (Voinovich) voted against it.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 10:19:08 PM »

Dr. Evil...........where can we get a 'posting' of the Senators that voted for the amendment?    [smiley=nervous.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 11:20:25 PM »

Dr. Evil...........where can we get a 'posting' of the Senators that voted for the amendment?    [smiley=nervous.gif]   spyder

The entire Senatorial voting record (and just about all other public business) is available through www.senate.gov .  The voting record is broken down by legislative session.  The specific vote in questionis vote # 00120 and is detailed here:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00120

Those voting yea (in favor of) were Senators:

Akaka (D-HI)
Biden (D-DE)
Boxer (D-CA)
Byrd (D-WV)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Chafee (R-RI)
Corzine (D-NJ)
DeWine (R-OH)
Dodd (D-CT)
Dole (R-NC)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Frist (R-TN)
Harkin (D-IA)
Inouye (D-HI)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (D-CT)
Martinez (R-FL)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Reid (D-NV)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sarbanes (D-MD)
Warner (R-VA)
Wyden (D-OR)

The great majority of yea votes were Democratic senators and Democratic Senators that are, generally speaking, politically liberal.  Quickly scanning the list some of the exceptions were interesting.  

The still putative leader of the party (Senator Kerry), for example, voted nay.  Though the Senator senior to him from his home state (Kennedy of Massachusetts) voted yea and their views are generally similar on most other social policy.  Senator Kerry, however, rides a Harley.  

A couple of interesting examples the other way are the leader of Republican party in the Senate (Senator Frist) and one of North Carolina's Senators Mrs. Dole.  Both generally respected in "conservative" circles, accepted by that wing of their own party (Frist helps lead it after all) and both generally of the school of thought that citizens are served best when bothered least by their government.  But both voted in favor of the amendment.  

Senator Doctor Frist was (and is) a surgeon before entering politics and Elizabeth Dole used to head the American Red Cross.  It seems one's experiences and life's lessons might sway one's politics more than the other way around sometimes (thank goodness because we then know they still have a conscience).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 11:34:21 PM by twolanerider »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 02:16:05 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
 Thanks for the info!  I knew before I looked, that Byrd and Rockefeller voted yea.  Those two have done more to harm the State of WV, and the Country as a whole, than any other politicians of our time!  Byrd, once an organizer and member of the KKK, now denies it.  Rockefeller, a New York native, once ran for Governor of WV on the Republican Ticket, and was defeated.  Next term, he comes back as a Democrat, and wins.  Add to that his interest in EXXON, which has Huge Western Coal Reserves, which he has used to bid against WV Coal, and taken some of our (WV) contracts.  Both he, and Byrd, are skunks of the first order, and have hoodwinked the less fortunate with their polished pro-union bullchit, which has resulted in WV being 49th on the scale of economic development!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD  
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 01:27:44 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  Thanks for the info!  I knew before I looked, that Byrd and Rockefeller voted yea.  Those two have done more to harm the State of WV, and the Country as a whole, than any other politicians of our time!  Byrd, once an organizer and member of the KKK, now denies it.  Rockefeller, a New York native, once ran for Governor of WV on the Republican Ticket, and was defeated.  Next term, he comes back as a Democrat, and wins.  Add to that his interest in EXXON, which has Huge Western Coal Reserves, which he has used to bid against WV Coal, and taken some of our (WV) contracts.  Both he, and Byrd, are skunks of the first order, and have hoodwinked the less fortunate with their polished pro-union bullchit, which has resulted in WV being 49th on the scale of economic development!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD  

Carl you've definitely found something we completely agree on.  No Senator is more annoying than Senator Byrd.  In person he's worse than the persona we see from TV or CSPAN.  He's just a cranky insecure obnoxious arrogant hubristic mean selfish stubborn old bastard whose been way past his time and way past his prime for more years than we've been alive and wasn't anything special before.  He's one of those few people in the world just the thought of whom make one of my "special places" pucker up.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 01:28:22 AM by twolanerider »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 06:12:21 AM »

I can top that...unfortunately, I am represented by:
Ted (don't let your daughter drive with) Kennedy
John Heinz-Kerry
Barney Fwank

oh, the embarassment!

/Bill
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 06:13:14 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:05:08 PM »

I can top that...unfortunately, I am represented by:
Ted (don't let your daughter drive with) Kennedy
John Heinz-Kerry
Barney Fwank

oh, the embarassment!

/Bill

But Kerry at least voted against the proposed hat law.  He'd be really funny looking with helmet hair  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
  • Head out on the highway, lookin for adventure.....
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 04:02:25 PM »

Ok, perhaps I am tilting at windmills, but here goes.  We all know there are inherent risks to everything we do.  There is no absence of risk! Those of us who choose riding a motorcycle have accepted a certain level of risk.  Those who ride without a helmet accept a higher level of risk than those who wear one.  But here is where I have a problem.  The states, county’s and municipalities increase our risk by leaving sand and gravel on the road.   This is a risk being imposed by the same government I pay taxes to so that our roads are maintained in a safe condition.  The only way I can mitigate this risk is to stop riding.  Thus, I submit we do not need a national helmet law; what we do need is National Safe Road Legislation.  States, counties and municipalities need to be held accountable by the federal government for maintenance of the roadways to standards commensurate with safe motorcycle operation or lose federal funding for road projects.  To me this makes more sense than helmet laws.
dkm

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 04:23:18 PM »

what we do need is National Safe Road Legislation.  States, counties and municipalities need to be held accountable by the federal government for maintenance of the roadways to standards commensurate with safe motorcycle operation or lose federal funding for road projects.  To me this makes more sense than helmet laws.

Wowwwww, hold on their Dave.  That's a path to a prohobition of motorcycles.  We lose out on any cost benefit analysis that the goverment would figure there.

Sovereign immunity is (generally) a thing of the past so far as tort liabilities are concerned so a locality can be held responsible for malfeasance within certain guidelines.  But if the Federal gov't were really faced with the choices between a) incurring the costs of a mandated road standard akin to what you suggest for greater motorcycle safety and b) banning motorcycles from the publicly supported highways then, well, we'd be gone.  

There is no constitutional or other specifically legislated "right" to ride a bike.  Just like driving any other kind of vehicle the ability to do so on public thoroughfares is a legislated privilege.  If allowing that privilege should get to a point that granting it is way more expensive than other value it returns to the polity than that privilege would be rescinded or altered.

That is, in essence, the core of the debate on helmet laws and why some suggest the privilege of riding without a helmet should be altered.  When you ride you are risking your personal safety, life and livelihood.  If that's all you were risking that would be very much the end of the debate.

Trouble is that's not all we're risking.  The costs associated with major head / neurological trauma commonly outstrip insurance limits.   When that happens those costs are passed on to the health system (writ large) and then eventually to the public (you and me and everyone else) through governmental support of one kind or another.  As it is the costs that we pass on to society at large are not burdensome enough that society sees fit to mandate we wear helmets (in most states).  But if we got more expensive to them they would.  

Society at large, in the context of governmental regulation, isn't made because the regulation necessarily cares about your or my head specifically (it doesn't and it can't, the debates are often sounded out on such "personal" bases but that's not what it's really about).  Such regulations are about the overall good of and protection of society; how much all of our heads collectively will cost it when several of us go bonk, and whether it is still deemed acceptable to carry that cost within that society at that time.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 04:45:44 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
 I retract all my smart@$$ed statements, previously posted, aimed at you.  You [bgcolor=Yellow]ARE[/bgcolor] a [bgcolor=Green]GENTLEMAN[/bgcolor] and a [bgcolor=Orange]SCHOLAR![/bgcolor]  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 04:56:36 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  I retract all my smart@$$ed statements, previously posted, aimed at you.  You [bgcolor=Yellow]ARE[/bgcolor] a [bgcolor=Green]GENTLEMAN[/bgcolor] and a [bgcolor=Orange]SCHOLAR![/bgcolor]  Later--HUBBARD

Thanks Hub, bit it's ok to still be a smartass when the mood stikes.  Twolane wants to play too  [smiley=7.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 05:14:46 PM »

Sand and gravel left on the road have always annoyed me, but what is really dangerous are those great big hard recap casings laying out on the interstate that you can't see at night or in the rain or both.  Now, THEY are a nuisance and I'm for any 'rules' that keeps 'um off the hwy.  Any ideas, Tater?   [smiley=nervous.gif]  spyder [smiley=furious.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 05:25:17 PM »

Twolane;

That is what makes this country work so well.  People like you who can moderate the radicals like me.  So, what is the fix to the problem of roads littered with trash, gravel, sand, chunks of tires and yes even sections of tree trunks.  I have seen the police swerve to avoid such obstacles in the road and then pull someone over for speeding a few miles up the road.  Which was the greater hazard; the speeder or the obstacle in the road?  I seriously want better roads in this country.  Those of us who have driven in Germany know that they tolerate nothing on their roads.  Our roads are starting to look more like those I drove on in Turkey.  I am not happy that the roads of this country are beginning to look like those of the “Third World”.  And though I must agree the constitution does not give specific rights to ride a motorcycle, it also does not give specific rights for many of the things we as Americans take for granted.  Perhaps there in lies the problem; we take things for granted and  as a people no longer really “fight” for our rights preferring to leave it all to those who should but often do not represent us.  True, the founders of this Great Nation did not envision motorcycles.  However, they did envision a people who would not submit to injustice in any form.  Indeed the very words of the Declaration of Independence may well serve as inspiration not to submit to such injustice. Ok, I am getting off of my soapbox for the day.
dkm

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2005, 05:46:58 PM »

Sand and gravel left on the road have always annoyed me, but what is really dangerous are those great big hard recap casings laying out on the interstate that you can't see at night or in the rain or both.  Now, THEY are a nuisance and I'm for any 'rules' that keeps 'um off the hwy.  Any ideas, Tater?   [smiley=nervous.gif]  spyder [smiley=furious.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Spyder,
 We call 'em alligators!  I have contacted my WV State Senators, WV House of Delegates Members, US Congressman Nick Joe Rahall, and those other two worthless bastards, US Senators Robert C. Byrd and John D. Rockefeller IV, and requested a proposed Bill to make Jacobs Engine Brakes Mandantory, and re-capped tires illegal, on all Commercial Vehicles in all States that have any 7% or more Grades, on State or Federal Highways, for more than 1/3 of a mile at any given stretch.  To date, all I have recieved in response is "We appreciate your concern, and will look into your proposed request.  However, the Federal Government is limited in it's power to mandate any Manufacturer's options choices, and in setting rules for each State's by-ways and highways."  No one from the State of WV has even given me the professional courtesy of a response.  I continue to send this request each and every session of the Legislature.  I will not give up, Spyder, but I am just one voice in the darkness.  Politicians don't look at us as people, they see us as votes.  If I had enough people (votes) behind me, I could make some headway.  Later--HUBBARD      

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Spyder,
  We call 'em alligators!  I have contacted my WV State Senators, WV House of Delegates Members, US Congressman Nick Joe Rahall, and those other two worthless bastards, US Senators Robert C. Byrd and John D. Rockefeller IV, and requested a proposed Bill to make Jacobs Engine Brakes Mandantory, and re-capped tires illegal, on all Commercial Vehicles in all States that have any 7% or more Grades, on State or Federal Highways, for more than 1/3 of a mile at any given stretch.  To date, all I have recieved in response is "We appreciate your concern, and will look into your proposed request.  However, the Federal Government is limited in it's power to mandate any Manufacturer's options choices, and in setting rules for each State's by-ways and highways."  No one from the State of WV has even given me the professional courtesy of a response.  I continue to send this request each and every session of the Legislature.  I will not give up, Spyder, but I am just one voice in the darkness.  Politicians don't look at us as people, they see us as votes.  If I had enough people (votes) behind me, I could make some headway.  Later--HUBBARD      

hell, you know I'll vote for you......just gotta figger a way to get me registered up there in those hills & hollers...........you make a whole lot more sense than most of the ones who have gotten the votes.  Tater For Governor !!!!  Har!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 06:08:27 PM »

hell, you know I'll vote for you......just gotta figger a way to get me registered up there in those hills & hollers...........you make a whole lot more sense than most of the ones who have gotten the votes.  Tater For Governor !!!!  Har!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder

Governor?  Those jobs require real work.  He was going to be Otis' Vice President awhile back.  That's like semi-retirement with the Secret Service as your riding buddies  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »

Governor?  Those jobs require real work.  He was going to be Otis' Vice President awhile back.  That's like semi-retirement with the Secret Service as your riding buddies  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

You're right!  But, first, let's put him in a position of getting the alligators off of some of the roads...........and maybe take care of a few other issues so near and dear to us before he 'retires' !!!    Har!   [smiley=deal2.gif]   spyder  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2005, 11:25:29 PM »

The sad fact is that the FED will make the states enforce helmet laws. Just like seat belts, the drinking age, unleaded fuel, fuel injection, the death of the air cooled vtwin, catalytic converters etc..etc... It is on its way and there is noway to stop it. Sounds harsh, but I am being realistic. Think of anything that has been able to be stopped once it caught hold in the fed. WE DO NOT LIVE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA WE LIVE IN THE FEDERAL STATES OF AMERICA.  We are all addicts to our own tax money. Feeding at the nipple and afraid to bite the hand that feeds us.    The bottom line will be the bottom line. The arguement will be it costs taxpayers money and will save lives. And its not republican or democrats. Its money...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 11:33:43 PM »

Think of anything that has been able to be stopped once it caught hold in the fed.  

Prohibition.
The federally mandated 55mph speed limit.

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 11:51:47 AM »

I hate to say it but I pretty much keep my lights on bright after dark so I can see those chunks of tire tread on the road.  I really don't like riding after dark but if I get caught out there thats what I do.  The truckers are the ones who usually flash their lights.  My attitude is when they stop to pick up their tire casings I will stop running my brights to see and avoid the tire casing they left all over the road.  You know its not just bikers that stuff endangers.  Its the mini vans and cars driven by moms with kids on board etc.
dkm

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »

I hate to say it but I pretty much keep my lights on bright after dark so I can see those chunks of tire tread on the road.  I really don't like riding after dark but if I get caught out there thats what I do.  The truckers are the ones who usually flash their lights.  My attitude is when they stop to pick up their tire casings I will stop running my brights to see and avoid the tire casing they left all over the road.  You know its not just bikers that stuff endangers.  Its the mini vans and cars driven by moms with kids on board etc.

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Dave,
 While your comments stand to reason,  I must voice my conscience concerning the majority of OTR Truckers.  These drivers do not always know the exact moment a tire seperates, and scatters debris over the roadway.  Especially, if they are running absent any other traffic.  It's highly unlikely that the Trucker that loses a re-cap, will be the one that cleans it up.  Subsequently, the next Trucker, or motorist, will contact the Courtesy Patrol, or SP, and inform them of the debris, which is usually cleaned up in a timely fashion, at least, that's the case here in the Mountain State.  For the most part, Truckers are decent people trying to eke out a living in a very competitive business.  The ones I know, personally, are very safety conscious, and do their best to look out for the "Four Wheelers."  It would be my suggestion that we all contact our elected representatives, and demand that re-capped tires be outlawed in every State!  Later--HUBBARD  

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 02:17:54 PM »

Prohibition.
The federally mandated 55mph speed limit.

2 in over 200 years...

Ok so not everything, most everything...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 02:24:48 PM by tony1968 »

Dave

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »

I have to agree, for the most part truckers are a safety concious and good group of people.  I also think eliminating re-caps would be good though it would also cut into the truckers profit unless perhaps some tax relief could be granted in exchange for outlawing re-caps.  I also suspect even non-recap tires fail and therefore I have an idea but let me get a patent on it first.  
dkm

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2005, 02:35:34 PM »

% of truckers drive for companies and don;t own their own rig - BUT - the tires on them ole rigs are not speed rated for over 70 mph - go figure - re-tread or not they come apart - yes re-tread worse - women & men on cell phones in SUV's - how about the person just cutting thru traffic just to get one more car ahead of everyone else - so with all that time they save - do they get like 366 days at the end of the year ?? - each state has their own particular driver - MIch for instance - why the h-- does everyone drive in the fast lane slow as h-- ??? how about a standardized extensive more compliated drivers test every 4 years - make teens wait till they are 18 to hit the road and not 16 - how about allowing all motorcycle drivers to carry dart guns that shoot non-removable steel darts - driver does something above and beyond the call of stupidity - shoot a dart into their card - 4 darts in your car you loose your license for a year - Atlanta traffic - everyone waiting to merge onto a by-pass or making a turn that has a wide entrance - over 50% of drivers head to the front bypassing everyone cuts lead person off - exit ramp - same problem - its a lack of competent drivers education in this country that causes US to have to tolerate helmet laws - we are the lesser % to deal with - Ill drink to that  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 01:07:13 AM »

What a good place to make both friends and enemies at the same time! A political discussion in an already very small niched group of people. When confronted with the idea of engaging into this type of discussion one has to weight the pros and cons of his/her approach to joining in on the topic. So we make a choice and that choice is to comment or not comment on any expressed ideas. So far we still have the freedom to make our own choices and sometimes be able to voice our opinions.

How long will we retain this right?

In our great country we live in we are almost always given a choice that is either to the far right or the far left. My personal feeling is that we as a populace are mostly in the middle somewhere. There is always some comprimise and some after side effect felt when making a choice in either direction.

I served in the Army and did what I had to do in order to serve it to the best of my personal abilities. That does not mean I agree with the politics behind the choice that our leaders made for me. But I made the choice to join and serve knowing that there are some inevidable consequences.

Where do we draw the line when it comes to freedom vs profit? I say this because everything cost money. We are talking about several underlying topics here at one time.

Our roadways we all ride on. Most of us can agree that they are not exactly designed or maintained with bikers in mind. So do we give up some freedom of choice in order to fund programs to make better roads? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Insurance rates were mentioned and the fact that the cost is absorbed by the consumer of above aforementioned insurance rates. I will put on my helmet in all 50 states if they make sure that all the roads are safe for motorcyclist.
It's a choice to disbelieve or believe the media examples we are given while we are "taught"  facts and statistics. Perhaps they should first find out if the 80 dollar aspirin at the ER is more effective than the whole bottle for 2.99 at my local drug store? Is my 1,200 dollar a night room with a night nurse reading a book out at the nurses station a better stay than the Hilton for 150 bucks a night?

Ok so the original topic is Helmet VS No Helmet. This might as well be Roe VS Wade for bikers!

There is no right answer! How many of these motorcycle fatalities were due to poor road conditions helmet or no helmet if they didn't crash it would be irrelivant wouldn't it?

My personal belief on helmets is this. It should remain up to the individual riding. I think that if you hit your head on asphalt it's going to suck either way. Whenever I personally choose one way or the other for me it's a choice between

if I crash do I want to die quickly or do I want to be a vegetable because my helmet "saved" me. If I am a vegetable (that wore) his helmet for a good while won't I also max out my insirance and wouldn't that also be passed onto the consumer?

Rider Education, better roads, motorcycle awareness for non riders and common sense will save many many more lives than a piece of plastic on your head everytime I bet! But what the hell do I know, I work for a living. [smiley=drink.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 02:15:44 PM »

bump
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 03:50:02 PM »

AP, UPI, UPS, FEDEX: In a stunning story today several members of the United States Senate today shocked their original constituencies by joining with shocking new allies on a startling policy initiative.  Led by bad-ass motorcycle riding Senator John Kerry of Massachusetts these Senators crossed the poltical divide between the AMA (American Motorcyclists Association) and the AGSA (American Genetics Studies Association).  In a statement for the media Senator Kerry announced that this new Senate rump group would from this day forward look for legislation that supported their "Dense Hat" initiative.  

"Dense Hat" (immediately dubbed "Dunce Dome" by Senators in opposition) "will work to bring about a freeing of the American spirit for motorcycle riders" said Senator Kerry while "guaranteeing a thickening of their skulls."  The new initiative seeks to bridge and unusal alliance between AMA's long desired federal requirement banning helmet laws in the individual states and AGSA's goal of funding genetic research.  Senator Kerry explained that he believed the two goals could be combined into language that would eliminate any need for motorcycle helmets by funding genetic research whose goal is to make motorcycle rider's heads so damned hard that helmets become redundant and unnecessary.  

The environmental lobby, unfortunately, is opposed to this new initiative because of the possible new damage done to trees and spotted owls by motorcyclist's newly hardened heads.  Trotting out their new slogan "Trees before brains" an environmental lobbyist pronounced, "what, where's the bar at this event anyway?"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 11:34:10 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  Send me some of that chit you're smokin"!  [smiley=confused5.gif] Later--HUBBARD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2005, 11:36:38 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  Send me some of that chit you're smokin"!  [smiley=confused5.gif] Later--HUBBARD

Hub, you guys have Senator Byrd.  You don't need any other handicaps....    [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »

If you live in Virginia, you can help to protect all of us from the laws about helmets, muffler noise, and laws in regards to mopeds not to get mixed up with motorcycles by participating in the Virginia Motorcycle Lobby Day

January 15 - 16, 2006

Flex your political muscle! Come to Richmond and be heard at the State Legislature.

On Sunday, January 15 from 12:00 to 5:00 pm, VCOM lobbyists will lead an information meeting at the Comfort Inn to discuss legislation affecting motorcyclists, and how to take your case to your legislators.

We leave the Comfort Inn at 8:00 am sharp on Monday, January 16 for our annual trip to the Capitol. After lobbying our legislators, we will attend the opening of the House of Delegates daily session, and be recognized from the floor.

Lunch will be provided by The Law Offices of Tom McGrath after we leave the Capitol.

Host Hotel: Comfort Inn and Conference Center
3200 W. Broad St., Richmond, VA

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2005, 06:04:20 PM »

Hub, you guys have Senator Byrd.  You don't need any other handicaps....    [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  I was having a great day, too!  Now, you have reminded me of the tyrannies this sorry excuse for a human, has committed against the working class!  >:( Somebody is going to catch hell tonight!  Later--HUBBARD

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 11:18:42 PM »

Ok, perhaps I am tilting at windmills, but here goes.  We all know there are inherent risks to everything we do.  There is no absence of risk! Those of us who choose riding a motorcycle have accepted a certain level of risk.  Those who ride without a helmet accept a higher level of risk than those who wear one.  But here is where I have a problem.  The states, county’s and municipalities increase our risk by leaving sand and gravel on the road.   This is a risk being imposed by the same government I pay taxes to so that our roads are maintained in a safe condition.  The only way I can mitigate this risk is to stop riding.  Thus, I submit we do not need a national helmet law; what we do need is National Safe Road Legislation.  States, counties and municipalities need to be held accountable by the federal government for maintenance of the roadways to standards commensurate with safe motorcycle operation or lose federal funding for road projects.  To me this makes more sense than helmet laws.
Might want to read up on helmets before you go off thinking they are going to do anything good for you.  http://usff.com/hlstatutes/50statehls.html
I would like to here what you think after you all read some of the evidence that maybe the odds are the other way around when you are wearing a helmet.  4 of the states with the lowest fatality rates by % are the ones without a helmet requirment.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2006, 10:23:26 PM »

That was some good reading godeater...

Thanks for the input.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 10:39:08 PM »

Here they go again.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/index.asp?ad=/news/helmet_law.asp

[smiley=furious2.gif]
Why the hell dont I just put a seat belt on my bike too?
These guys just piss me off!
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2006, 08:10:57 AM »

I used to think they did this kinda crap just to see who's paying attention. Now I think they're just a bunch of A$$holes that get way to caught up in their own perceived self importance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2006, 12:27:02 PM »

Funny story.  A state legislator here named Marvin Singleton (also a doctor) adamently opposed the annual attempts to change the state's mandatory helmet statute.  A few years ago it looked like there was a chance the change might actually pass and the helmet requiement would be lessened or eliminated.  Using his seniority position in the Senate Marvin placed a amendment on the bill that said, basically, "ok, you dont' have to wear a helmet; but if you don't wear a helmet you have to wear a seatbelt."

Don't dismiss the guy for being a crank who doesn't understand that the least thing we want is a seat belt that doesn't allow us to separate from the bike should the bike lay down.  He completely understood both that riders wouldn't accept it and that passage would mean the state was a laughing stock.  In other words he found a new way to kill the bill.  And it worked.  Whether you agree with his opinion or not his tactics were spot on.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 12:27:30 PM by twolanerider »
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 20 queries.