Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Proposed Fed. Helmet Law  (Read 6449 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Proposed Fed. Helmet Law
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2005, 11:36:38 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  Send me some of that chit you're smokin"!  [smiley=confused5.gif] Later--HUBBARD

Hub, you guys have Senator Byrd.  You don't need any other handicaps....    [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »

If you live in Virginia, you can help to protect all of us from the laws about helmets, muffler noise, and laws in regards to mopeds not to get mixed up with motorcycles by participating in the Virginia Motorcycle Lobby Day

January 15 - 16, 2006

Flex your political muscle! Come to Richmond and be heard at the State Legislature.

On Sunday, January 15 from 12:00 to 5:00 pm, VCOM lobbyists will lead an information meeting at the Comfort Inn to discuss legislation affecting motorcyclists, and how to take your case to your legislators.

We leave the Comfort Inn at 8:00 am sharp on Monday, January 16 for our annual trip to the Capitol. After lobbying our legislators, we will attend the opening of the House of Delegates daily session, and be recognized from the floor.

Lunch will be provided by The Law Offices of Tom McGrath after we leave the Capitol.

Host Hotel: Comfort Inn and Conference Center
3200 W. Broad St., Richmond, VA

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2005, 06:04:20 PM »

Hub, you guys have Senator Byrd.  You don't need any other handicaps....    [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Twolane,
  I was having a great day, too!  Now, you have reminded me of the tyrannies this sorry excuse for a human, has committed against the working class!  >:( Somebody is going to catch hell tonight!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 11:18:42 PM »

Ok, perhaps I am tilting at windmills, but here goes.  We all know there are inherent risks to everything we do.  There is no absence of risk! Those of us who choose riding a motorcycle have accepted a certain level of risk.  Those who ride without a helmet accept a higher level of risk than those who wear one.  But here is where I have a problem.  The states, county’s and municipalities increase our risk by leaving sand and gravel on the road.   This is a risk being imposed by the same government I pay taxes to so that our roads are maintained in a safe condition.  The only way I can mitigate this risk is to stop riding.  Thus, I submit we do not need a national helmet law; what we do need is National Safe Road Legislation.  States, counties and municipalities need to be held accountable by the federal government for maintenance of the roadways to standards commensurate with safe motorcycle operation or lose federal funding for road projects.  To me this makes more sense than helmet laws.
Might want to read up on helmets before you go off thinking they are going to do anything good for you.  http://usff.com/hlstatutes/50statehls.html
I would like to here what you think after you all read some of the evidence that maybe the odds are the other way around when you are wearing a helmet.  4 of the states with the lowest fatality rates by % are the ones without a helmet requirment.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2006, 10:23:26 PM »

That was some good reading godeater...

Thanks for the input.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 10:39:08 PM »

Here they go again.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/index.asp?ad=/news/helmet_law.asp

[smiley=furious2.gif]
Why the hell dont I just put a seat belt on my bike too?
These guys just piss me off!
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2006, 08:10:57 AM »

I used to think they did this kinda crap just to see who's paying attention. Now I think they're just a bunch of A$$holes that get way to caught up in their own perceived self importance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2006, 12:27:02 PM »

Funny story.  A state legislator here named Marvin Singleton (also a doctor) adamently opposed the annual attempts to change the state's mandatory helmet statute.  A few years ago it looked like there was a chance the change might actually pass and the helmet requiement would be lessened or eliminated.  Using his seniority position in the Senate Marvin placed a amendment on the bill that said, basically, "ok, you dont' have to wear a helmet; but if you don't wear a helmet you have to wear a seatbelt."

Don't dismiss the guy for being a crank who doesn't understand that the least thing we want is a seat belt that doesn't allow us to separate from the bike should the bike lay down.  He completely understood both that riders wouldn't accept it and that passage would mean the state was a laughing stock.  In other words he found a new way to kill the bill.  And it worked.  Whether you agree with his opinion or not his tactics were spot on.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 12:27:30 PM by twolanerider »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.