Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590743 times)

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2325 on: March 20, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »

If I buy anything else it will be a drone killer. Not sure what that would take but it seems like something we may need.

SBB

Now you've got me thinking. May have to mod my Parrot Drone 1) shield it to protect from you, 2) arm it to take down other drones

I've got to get out to the tool shed and get to work :drink:

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2326 on: March 21, 2013, 01:41:00 AM »

The 5 questions about guns can have many answers, it depends on the weapon's intended use, shooter's skill level and budget.........

1) Revolver or Semi-auto pistol ?
Revolvers can be simple to use with no slide releases ,decocking levers , safeties, or magazine releases to think about. revolvers have more small moving parts than a semi-auto and if they break it will take a gunsmith to fix. The round cylinder can dig into your body and be painful or bulge outward giving it away during concealed carry. many malfunctions with semi-autos are maintenance related or shooter induced misfeeds due to "limp wristing".  So depending on use I would take a semi-auto over a revolver for ease of use, cleaning (remember one chamber vs. 5 or more in a revolver) and concealment.
2) 357 or 44 ?
357 is a good caliber and can take .38 spl ammo to give less recoil to shooter and savings in money. If you use .38 ammo in a .357 you must really scrub the carbon and lead from the ends of the chambers or it will build up and prevent you from feeding the longer .357 rounds fully causing problems. 44 is a powerful round and has great stopping power, downside is expensive ammo, much more recoil than a 357 so second and third shots are usually slower and you probably won't fire several hundred rounds at one time at the range. You could feed 44 special rounds in a 44 mag but watch out for the same carbon and lead buildup.
So I would say 357 is cheaper to buy and supply with ammo. It is smaller and easier to conceal compared to a 44 mag. Yet a 44 mag has superior round for round stopping power with a risk of over penetration.
3) 9mm, 40cal or 45 ?
9 mm , very popular caliber with a variety of ammo choices and can find in high capacity models. 40 caliber has more stopping power round for round but usually more expensive and harder to find ammo compared to 9mm. The 45 is a time proven man stopper and you don't have to be as finicky in selecting the right bullet weight or configuration (ball or hollow point etc.) Of course shot placement is more important than caliber but given a choice I want to hit my target with the largest bullet I can. I don't worry about super high magazine capacity since the average shooting in real life is only 2 or 3 rounds at short distances. You can find 14 or 15 shot 45's and if you need more ammo than that you have real problems.
4) Bolt action or lever action rifle ?
Again as with all these questions "what is the intended use?" lever action 30-30s have put lots of deer on the dinner table for over 100 years. Yet you won't find many lever actions in use in modern military or target shooting. (except cowboy action shooting.) Bolt action rifles have a tighter more consistent bolt/chamber lockup so they are more accurate. A trained shooter can operate a bolt as fast as a lever action and have less sight alignment disturbance. There is a reason that most sniper rifles are bolt action. I know there are some exceptions with semi auto rifles though.
5) Pump or semi-auto shotgun ?
Pump action shotguns have been around a long time and function in most conditions and weather. They can be "short stroked" and cause a jam though so the shooter needs to practice to prevent that problem. Pump guns can be more forgiving about poor maintenance compared to a semi auto shotgun. A pump gun due to it's action can cause sight alignment disturbance so second or third shots can take a few seconds longer in an untrained shooter's hands. A semi auto shotgun if properly maintained can be very fast and accurate and in some cases due to an action's design the recoil can be absorbed a little compared to a pump gun.

KennyC

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004SE E-Glide Org/Blk
    • CVO2: I Wish
« Reply #2327 on: March 21, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »

Here's some questions to see what's popular these days

1) Revolver or Semi-auto pistol ? .40 Glock for hip......380 for pocket
2) 357 or 44 ?  .44 Redhawk
3) 9mm, 40cal or 45 ? Got all three!! Love the .40 bestest! .45 close second....the 9's the wifes
4) Bolt action or lever action rifle ? Bolt usually
5) Pump or semi-auto shotgun ? Remington 11-87, 12 gauge semi

My choices above!!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #2328 on: March 22, 2013, 12:27:19 PM »

I do have a Desert Eagle 50 if you like big cal.
As far as revolvers go for hunting I have a S&W 500 (.50 cal)revolver with a scope.

Gawd Rog, those have gotta weigh something

I posed the questions because a friend out here in SoCal was saying nobody carres revolvers anymore. It's all about weight blah blah blah, so I thought I'd see what others were thinking. The issue on lever/bolt came about after watching a episode of Wild West Alaska in which they were designing and building a new and improved lever action rifle

B B
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:34:07 PM by Spiderman »

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2329 on: March 22, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »

Gawd Rog, those have gotta weigh something

I posed the questions because a friend out here in SoCal was saying nobody carres revolvers anymore. It's all about weight blah blah blah, so I thought I'd see what others were thinking. The issue on lever/bolt came about after watching a episode of Wild West Alaska in which they were designing and building a new and improved lever action rifle

B B

Not saying I actually have any of these, but...

I would not carry a revolver... takes far too long to reload. Better to carry a .40 cal S&W Chief's Special semi-auto loaded with 180 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow points in a Crossbreed ITW holster... with an extra mag.

It would be good to have a J-Frame SS S&W 5-shot .357 in the nightstand, loaded with Hornady Critical Defense Rounds.

It would be good to have a Mossberg Model 500 pump action 12 gauge with a pistol grip leaning against the headboard, loaded with #4 buckshot 3" rounds... one in the chamber and five in the tube.

And it would also be good to have three dogs on the property to give advance warning of any unexpected "visitors"...

Just sayin'...  :rifle:

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2330 on: March 22, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »

For those who want to shoot at a range especially rifles and shotguns you might want to consider this well made USA product to help you carry the load.......

http://www.ruggedgear.com/

They have several versions of ways to transport guns, archery equipment etc..

I guess it could be used to take you kid or grandkid for a stroll in a bad neighborhood too. His first word may be "shotgun!" though.   :huepfenlol2:

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2331 on: March 22, 2013, 06:42:18 PM »

Not saying I actually have any of these, but...

I would not carry a revolver... takes far too long to reload. Better to carry a .40 cal S&W Chief's Special semi-auto

I respectfully disagree. The SW40 has about as much punch as a 12yr old girl  (in my opinion)

B B

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2332 on: March 22, 2013, 06:57:22 PM »

I respectfully disagree. The SW40 has about as much punch as a 12yr old girl  (in my opinion)

B B

To each their own. A 180 grain .40 cal hollow point has plenty of takedown power. And will do a lot of damage on the way through. It ain't a .44 nor .45 ACP though.

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

Mountainman streetbob

• Just Ride, Daily if possible, Just Ride!!!!!!!
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SE7 CVO Electra Glide Ultra
    • GA

« Reply #2333 on: March 22, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »

2) 357 or 44 ?
3) 9mm, 40cal or 45 ?

1)          When formal wear is necessary  glock 36-45acp. Otherwise, taurus model 85 5 shot loaded with 110hp's or taurus 5 shot 4inch 44 mag.

2)          44 mag with FRAGILE 180grn hp's at HIGH VELOCITY!

3)          9mm if high high velocity frangible or hp ammo is available, Otherwise 45acp with hydrashocks or 185grn+p Remington golden sabers

4)          under 100 yards, lever action in 44mag, 30-30 or 45-70 with open or peep sights. Over 100 yards-bolt action peeps or scope

5)          Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 in Life or Death... Purely based on experience. 00 or 000 with 2 3/4 cylinder bore or patternmaster full choke
             depending on location of fight.
             Could possibly substitute ak based 12ga or Benelli/Beretta/HK 12Ga in a pinch, maybe properly kitted mossberg 930?

BTW defensive pistolcraft by definition almost certainly means 21 feet... 7 yards! Try claiming self defense beyond 21 feet! Good Luck! I suggest
             consulting Massad Ayoob!

Claiming that any modern hp from 327 fed on up won't cleanly kill in 21 feet is problematic. Actual shootings show how well modern hp's work
             since the hydra shock changed the game 20+ years ago! There is a reason we call it a gun fight you are going to shoot more than once regardless
             of caliber and keep shooting until the assailant CAN'T!

ANY modern hp in 327fed, 380acp, 9mm mak, 38spl, 9mm, 40sw, 45acp, 357sig, 357mag, 10mm, 41mag, 44mag will ABSOLUTELY finish the
             fight at least 85%-93% of the time with 1 shot! That goes up to 97%-99% of the time with a centermass double tap!

IF the centermass is not slowing down the bad guy fast enough for you then man up and make the headshot! Or carry a 12 gauge or 5.56 with
             3000fps 40 grain frangible hp's. Those are the only true 99.9% 1 shot stops!

It is all about:
             1. How fast you can accurately place that FIRST shot. (AND put a second one close by!)
             2. How quickly the assailants blood pressure drops. (DIRECTLY related to temporary/permanent soft tissue disruption/destruction creating shock)
             3. Have you disrupted the assailants will to live? Sometimes the head shot is the only option to cease hostilities.

2012 CVO SE7 ElectraGlideUltra Cams??? PowerCommanderV Crocodile Seats, rhinehardts,xm, Ipod, Nav-Zumo...
Windscreen, driver backrest handlebars, fulsac COMING SOON

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2334 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »

To each their own. A 180 grain .40 cal hollow point has plenty of takedown power. And will do a lot of damage on the way through. It ain't a .44 nor .45 ACP though.

I couldn't put a hole in a 20lb propane cylinder with an SW40. An Colt 45 went through nice and clean and left a hole the size of a grapefruit on the opposite side. 44 magnum even bigger on the opposite side. All three using hollowpoints  I figure living in the woods if somebody's breakin into my barn I may be shooting at them through the side of a pickup. And I'm not concerned whether or not it's self defense. I'm shooting to punch their engine and then hold em for the cops at that point. My problem isn't people wanting to kill me, it's people wanting to steal from me.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:49:20 PM by Spiderman »

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2335 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »

2) 357 or 44 ?
3) 9mm, 40cal or 45 ?

1) Semi
2) Why?
3) 45
4) 40 yr old 30/06 BAR
5) 3 pumps..4 Semi's
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #2336 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »

I couldn't put a hole in a 20lb propane cylinder with an SW40. An Colt 45 went through nice and clean and left a hole the size of a grapefruit on the opposite side. 44 magnum even bigger on the opposite side. All three using hollowpoints  I figure living in the woods if somebody's breakin into my barn I may be shooting at them through the side of a pickup. And I'm not concerned whether or not it's self defense. I'm shooting to punch their engine and then hold em for the cops at that point. My problem isn't people wanting to kill me, it's people wanting to steal from me.

Hard to argue with real test results!

I plan to upgrade to a compact .45 ACP at some point... But I am more concerned with self defense than some one stealing from me. Not many crooks out on the street are wearing armor like a propane tank, and the .40 cal has no problem penetrating bodies. Plus, I just want the round to go through the bad guy and then stop before going through a wall, a car, and someone else!

We live at the very end of a very long cul-de-sac that most people don't even know is there, and most people would not know my driveway is even there either. You can even see my house from the road. We have 8 acres of thick woods, and our house is down a long winding 500' driveway from the street. Someone would have to be working really hard to know our house is even here, much less get to it... and the dogs will let me know they are coming long before they can even see anything. I'll be ready for 'em... I pretty much always carry on my property, too. Didn't used to, but I do now.

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

pwatson

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2337 on: March 23, 2013, 12:19:14 AM »

10mm colt

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2338 on: March 23, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »

Hard to argue with real test results!

I plan to upgrade to a compact .45 ACP at some point... But I am more concerned with self defense than some one stealing from me. Not many crooks out on the street are wearing armor like a propane tank, and the .40 cal has no problem penetrating bodies. Plus, I just want the round to go through the bad guy and then stop before going through a wall, a car, and someone else!

We live at the very end of a very long cul-de-sac that most people don't even know is there, and most people would not know my driveway is even there either. You can even see my house from the road. We have 8 acres of thick woods, and our house is down a long winding 500' driveway from the street. Someone would have to be working really hard to know our house is even here, much less get to it... and the dogs will let me know they are coming long before they can even see anything. I'll be ready for 'em... I pretty much always carry on my property, too. Didn't used to, but I do now.

Ken

Anytime you live in a one-way in, one-way out place you have detered 98% of the crooks.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #2339 on: March 23, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »

If you need to punch through metal then these are the rounds to get:
http://www.hornady.com/store/40-S-and-W-175-gr-FlexLock-Critical-DUTY/

They were designed for the FBI to penetrate cars doors and windshields.

:soapbox: :oops:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 201

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.