Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590729 times)

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2520 on: November 29, 2014, 08:46:42 AM »

Springfield Armory XD40...40 cal. subcompact. CCP nonresident Utah and Arizona, covers 39 states. Carry ankle or mid-back when riding.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2521 on: November 29, 2014, 11:10:07 AM »

So where do you guys carry on the bike?

I know this is a very long thread and many side discussions have been brought up, but weapon carry on bikes have been discussed in the past with various viewpoints offered.
Just my .02 based on about 36 years of carry so far. You should strive to always carry your weapon on the person so you have physical control and speed on your side. When you put a weapon on a bike it is slower to reach and you run the risk of theft unless you get a vault to secure the weapon. That of course means a lack of speed if needed in a hurry.
Here is a good vault if you must store valuables of any type on a bike:
http://www.consolevault.com/harley-davidson-bagger-vault.html

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2522 on: November 29, 2014, 12:55:32 PM »

I know this is a very long thread and many side discussions have been brought up, but weapon carry on bikes have been discussed in the past with various viewpoints offered.
Just my .02 based on about 36 years of carry so far. You should strive to always carry your weapon on the person so you have physical control and speed on your side. When you put a weapon on a bike it is slower to reach and you run the risk of theft unless you get a vault to secure the weapon. That of course means a lack of speed if needed in a hurry.
Here is a good vault if you must store valuables of any type on a bike:
http://www.consolevault.com/harley-davidson-bagger-vault.html

VaEagle thank you,
I will check into that vault. I normally carry on my person. But wanted to explore more options for a bike mounted holster.
I also have a KTM 525 plated dirt bike ( my hooligan commuter) I was hoping to find a carry option that worked for both?
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #2523 on: November 29, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »

Ever gone down with something hard in your pockets. Hit the deck with a firearm on your side doing 65 probably hurts like heck.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2524 on: November 29, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »

Ever gone down with something hard in your pockets. Hit the deck with a firearm on your side doing 65 probably hurts like heck.
Then you better not carry anything in your pockets/on your person. :nixweiss: The whole point of carrying is having it ready and available if needed. I agree w/VaEagle (have not carried daily as many years as he but do carry daily) but can confirm that you want to carry where it's available and in the same place so it's "memory recall" vs remembering where it is today.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d'
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2525 on: November 29, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »

Then you better not carry anything in your pockets/on your person. :nixweiss: The whole point of carrying is having it ready and available if needed. I agree w/VaEagle (have not carried daily as many years as he but do carry daily) but can confirm that you want to carry where it's available and in the same place so it's "memory recall" vs remembering where it is today.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d'
 :fireman:
Absolutely.  Always carry on person and usually have add'l. in locked saddlebag.  When I hit the car a few years ago, I was carrying my Colt .380 Gov't. in a holster vest and although I broke ribs in my back, the pistol survived the flying thru the air and summersaults w/o any problem including no injuries from it or the spare mag in my pocket.  Now a revolver with a more protruding cylinder might have caused a problem, don't know.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

firesam23

• Full CVO Member
  • It's only money Can't take it with you
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG HC Mercury
    • CVO2: 2011 SG Harley Custom numbered paint set candy red with skulls
    • CVO3: 2003 1200 Sportster Black/Silver
« Reply #2526 on: November 29, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »

Nice set up FXD.  I carry a Glock 26 IWB with 2 extra mags mostly.  I also carry a Glock 42 on occasion.
It was women, it was sinnin’, it was alcohol
It was everything the bible says will make a man fall

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2527 on: November 29, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »

I am not a fan of keeping a firearm in a car or a saddlebag. If I do not have control/possession of my firearm at all times then I will not carry. There are enough illegally obtained firearms out there...I do not wish to add to them. The only exception I may make is traveling through a state where I can not legally carry concealed...just my opinion.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2528 on: November 30, 2014, 11:03:21 AM »

When on the bike I carry at S&W 642-2 Snubbie (shrouded hammer .38 Special + P) with defense loads in the inside pocket of my riding jacket. Not great for quick access but light & better than in the bags. When carrying concealed IWB I have a Kimber Pro Covert II or Sig 1911 in a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe holster.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2529 on: November 30, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »

My biggest fear is this rig will break my ribs if/when I go down again?
This is a galco "jackass rig" .40 on one side 2 mags on the other for balance
Thoughts?.
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2530 on: November 30, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »

Here is the other half of the rig.. I wear this almost every day where ever I go.
On the other days I carry a .38 spl in a pocket rig

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2531 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:03 PM »

Camojeeper,
Several things you can do. Consider switching to an inside the waistband holster since if you go down a bruised hip or "lovehandle" is less painful or dangerous to deal with. Otherwise about the only things you could do is wear heavy/padded layer of jacket or vest to help distribute the impact and try to tuck your arms in and roll on impact.
Then you have the wise guy response of "just don't wreck" and avoid the issue.
An earlier post by Fired00d is correct "memory recall" is important for those that carry concealed a lot since your body will go for the "usual" location under stress and if you change locations a lot you may just pull out a lovehandle in a gunfight or die doing the Macarena looking for today's location.
spydyglide you are correct too in your assumption that a revolver could be more painful due to sharp edges or the cylinder digging into the body. For long term comfort or less damage on impact look for a weapon that is flat with rounded edges.
Whatever carry you choose, practice in your everyday positions drawing (you might be surprised which positions make it almost impossible to draw) and reholstering (think of trying to secure a hot gun after use).

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2532 on: November 30, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »

I am not a fan of keeping a firearm in a car or a saddlebag. If I do not have control/possession of my firearm at all times then I will not carry. There are enough illegally obtained firearms out there...I do not wish to add to them. The only exception I may make is traveling through a state where I can not legally carry concealed...just my opinion.
Agree, except is pretty much impossible to conceal carry and not lock a pistol up when going in a court house, post office, etc., and I'd imagine that most guns are stolen from locked houses/gun safes/etc.  Just have to minimize the risk as much as possible.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2533 on: November 30, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »

I'll try not too wreck! Lol VaEagle. Thank you for your thoughts

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2534 on: November 30, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »

My biggest fear is this rig will break my ribs if/when I go down again?
This is a galco "jackass rig" .40 on one side 2 mags on the other for balance
Thoughts?.

I am thinking the word fear might be a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe concern might be more appropriate. If we had fears none of us would be riding. Also if you are involved in an accident personally I would consider myself fortunate to be able to walk away with just a couple of broken ribs...hell I am on my knees thanking someone for watching over me.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 201

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.