Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590711 times)

Quantumracer

• Done with fast bikes, time to slow down and enjoy what's left!
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSCE3
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2595 on: December 29, 2014, 08:39:35 PM »

I have a few Wilson CQBs. If you are of "bulls eye" it's you not the gun.

Ditch the green front sight. Get a black post. Everything else is gimmicks. Although I have night sights on one of mine it's in reality not very useful as a civilian.

I disagree that night sights are of little use to civilians.  I have sig night sights on my 2022, and mk25.  When I wake up in the middle of the night to hit the head (sucks getting old) it's comforting knowing in a real world scenario I won't have to guess where my weapon is....I can see the top of it instantly.  Micro seconds matter!!!

Of course nothing beats practice!

Dan
 :drink:
POW/MIA
Never forget and never give up!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2596 on: December 29, 2014, 09:29:22 PM »

The downside to night sights is having to replace them when they 'die'.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Quantumracer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2597 on: December 29, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »

The downside to night sights is having to replace them when they 'die'.

True statement....down side to fumbling too long for your gun in the dark...you die...no replacement available.   :2vrolijk_21:

POW/MIA

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2598 on: December 29, 2014, 09:36:42 PM »

I disagree that night sights are of little use to civilians.  I have sig night sights on my 2022, and mk25.  When I wake up in the middle of the night to hit the head (sucks getting old) it's comforting knowing in a real world scenario I won't have to guess where my weapon is....I can see the top of it instantly.  Micro seconds matter!!!

Of course nothing beats practice!

Dan

I agree, my XD-40 has trijcon night sights.  Its my night stand gun.  I like being able to see it in the dark.  My Kimber Ultra CDP also has night sights, its one of my carry guns. 

On my 1911's my favorit is on my Browns, a plane u in the back with a gold bead up front.

The new Sig P938 I bought my self for christmas, as I wanted a smaller carry for summer than a 1911 has night sights.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Quantumracer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2599 on: December 29, 2014, 09:42:10 PM »

I agree, my XD-40 has trijcon night sights.  Its my night stand gun.  I like being able to see it in the dark.  My Kimber Ultra CDP also has night sights, its one of my carry guns. 

On my 1911's my favorit is on my Browns, a plane u in the back with a gold bead up front.

The new Sig P938 I bought my self for christmas, as I wanted a smaller carry for summer than a 1911 has night sights.

Nice....sig night sights?  I love the sig night sights.....definitely won't buy another gun without them.  Of course I am partial to sig for carry, and STI for target/range (which doesn't need night sights).

POW/MIA

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #2600 on: December 29, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »

Boy you guys talking about night sights and the like. From the topic of sights you must all be fairly young...meaning below fifty. When you get to be my age sight types aren't that important anymore. By time my old eyes can focus lining up front with rear on target...if at all...I figure to be dead...shot by the bad guy. In both my XD40's I have the internal Lazer-Max. I can put the red dot pretty quick on center of mass 8" dia. Yeah I know I am no marksman but I have confidence that I can get the job done if need be within 21 feet...otherwise I am running for cover.
 :)

Quantumracer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2601 on: December 29, 2014, 10:41:08 PM »

Boy you guys talking about night sights and the like. From the topic of sights you must all be fairly young...meaning below fifty. When you get to be my age sight types aren't that important anymore. By time my old eyes can focus lining up front with rear on target...if at all...I figure to be dead...shot by the bad guy. In both my XD40's I have the internal Lazer-Max. I can put the red dot pretty quick on center of mass 8" dia. Yeah I know I am no marksman but I have confidence that I can get the job done if need be within 21 feet...otherwise I am running for cover.
 :)

LOL.....you're absolutely right!  I have one laser, one one gun, and it sits on my nightstand.  My glasses (and eyes for that matter) won't be worth a hill of beans if something were to happen.  Red dot center mass, pull trigger....twice, dial 911.  Night sites are to find the gun quickly, nothing more.  I'm 47 btw....so you were on target there too!

POW/MIA

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2602 on: December 30, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »

For home defense, target identification is very important issue. High visibility sights/ lasers etc. are nice bells and whistles but if you can't identify your target it may end in tragedy. It may be more important to develop good tactics and have a separate flashlight for lighting your target. You should also practice shooting in low light with the flashlight too so it becomes second nature.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #2603 on: December 30, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »

I have an older version of this:

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/weaponlights/handgun.html

All's you have to do is turn it on and it blind the s**t out of the person.  When I have tested it on myself, I could not see for at least 5 minutes.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Quantumracer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2604 on: December 30, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »

All's you have to do is turn it on and it blind the s**t out of the person.  When I have tested it on myself, I could not see for at least 5 minutes.

NICE!  I keep a 300 lumin tac light in the same spot next to my gun....a laser/light combo is next on my list....I don't want to fumble around with an 'extra' light in a self defense situation. 

POW/MIA

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2605 on: December 30, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »

Just make sure you hold the light away from your body. Light location could be a DEAD give away of your location. I personally would rather, while still under cover, to notify the bad guy that I am armed and dangerous and will not hesitate to shoot while still keeping my exact location unknown to the intruder thereby giving the intruder the opportunity to vacate the premises. I do not understand the logic of revealing you location to the intruder...part of your advantage would be the element of surprise which you are relinquishing without obtaining any clear advantage by shining a light in their eyes if you are lucky enough to know where their eyes are while in the dead of darkness...just my opinion.

Quantumracer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2606 on: December 30, 2014, 08:31:29 PM »

Just make sure you hold the light away from your body. Light location could be a DEAD give away of your location. I personally would rather, while still under cover, to notify the bad guy that I am armed and dangerous and will not hesitate to shoot while still keeping my exact location unknown to the intruder thereby giving the intruder the opportunity to vacate the premises. I do not understand the logic of revealing you location to the intruder...part of your advantage would be the element of surprise which you are relinquishing without obtaining any clear advantage by shining a light in their eyes if you are lucky enough to know where their eyes are while in the dead of darkness...just my opinion.

I get the idea, I taught that process of light location when clearing spaces, and it is a proven method of deception; however, I don't subscribe to it in a late night surprise scenario....I want eyes and light on target, and hot lead down range NOW.  There's likely to be no time for deception because you're prone and mentally foggy when the scenario begins, which makes practice so important.  Muscle memory is your best defense!

Regardless of what anyone's plan is.....practice, practice, practice!!!

Here's hoping no one here is ever faced with this problem!!!
POW/MIA

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2607 on: December 30, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »

Mine is an oder version with a red dot laser also.  It's mounted on my XD-40 night stand gun with night sights.

If I hear some one in my House at night and my wife is next to me, they do not belong there. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Quantumracer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2608 on: December 30, 2014, 09:16:16 PM »

Mine is an oder version with a red dot laser also.  It's mounted on my XD-40 night stand gun with night sights.

If I hear some one in my House at night and my wife is next to me, they do not belong there.

Which is why I have 4 70 lb dogs....they'll know something is wrong WAY before I do....element of surprise gone!  Plus my wife can shoot the wings off a fly inside 20 yards with any of her handguns, so I don't worry when I travel.
POW/MIA

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2609 on: December 31, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »

I get the idea, I taught that process of light location when clearing spaces, and it is a proven method of deception; however, I don't subscribe to it in a late night surprise scenario....I want eyes and light on target, and hot lead down range NOW.  There's likely to be no time for deception because you're prone and mentally foggy when the scenario begins, which makes practice so important.  Muscle memory is your best defense!

Regardless of what anyone's plan is.....practice, practice, practice!!!

Here's hoping no one here is ever faced with this problem!!!

When in my home to me it is of vital importance to identify the intruder and let him/her know I am armed so as not to be shooting friends or family members...if I receive no response when announcing my intentions then they are fair game. I guess it is different plans for different scenarios for different people...whatever one feels comfortable with.
I do believe however we can all agree on your above last two statements.
Stay Prepared, Stay Safe!
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 201

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.