Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590698 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2625 on: January 01, 2015, 08:15:17 AM »

When my wife wanted a 380 like all her lady rider friends had she wanted a Ruger LCP or a BodyGuard.  I did not want her to have either, felt the Sig was a much better 380.  So with her friends we went to the range, and I took a friends P238.  After my wife shot 4 different 380's she wanted the Sig P238 with out me saying a word.  If I would have told her it was the best, she would have never got it.  We have just over 1000 rounds thru it with zero issues.  Its her carry.

I just got the P938, same gun but in 9mm for summer carry, I will keep carrying the 1911's in the spring fall and winter.

Thanks,very good to know.  I have the LCP a good gun also. Like that Sig better though.

Good friend brought one for his wife recently.  Wife tried it & liked it.  One of the other wimmens liked it also so now 3 of them have one. Got it at Academy for a better price than could find online at the time.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2626 on: January 08, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »

I just picked up a Sig P938 a couple of week ago and put 500 rounds thru it with no issues.  It will replace my XD sub compact as primary carry.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2627 on: January 08, 2015, 02:15:43 PM »

I prefer the Kahr PM45 for summer carry. Other seasons the Glock 30SF.  Both very concealable but still got the punch of the .45.
     Great choice  i just strapped on the kahr a few minutes ago  to go out  I carry a 45 because they don,t make a 46

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2628 on: January 10, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »

I just picked up a Sig P938 a couple of week ago and put 500 rounds thru it with no issues.  It will replace my XD sub compact as primary carry.

I carry a P938 Blackwood in the summer, and my wife has its little brother the P238 Blackwood. I think the P938 is just about the perfect CC gun... Small, light, accurate, easily concealed, and reliable. It fits my hand like a glove. I carry it in a nice Tommy Theis combat-cut horsehide holster. I have the extended mag, and I carry a spare extended mag in my weak side pocket.

I got these new guns for Christmas (presents to myself!) - a Beretta full-size PX4 pistol and a Beretta CX4 carbine.... both in .40 cal (my favorite). They use the same 14-round mags, and I have 5 of them. I will be carrying the PX4 in the cold months, as soon as the Crossbreed IWB holster arrives. I got a nice 1.75" x 1/4" thick Daltech gun belt to hold the weight of the PX4, too... it's just a TAD heavier than the P938! LOL

I REALLY like the way these Berettas shoot! I got a nice foregrip for the CX4 with a 600 lumen LED light and a blindingly-bright strobe on it, and also a red dot sight. Got a light/strobe for the PX4 as well. It's on my nightstand.

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2629 on: January 17, 2015, 10:43:19 AM »

I carry a P938 Blackwood in the summer, and my wife has its little brother the P238 Blackwood. I think the P938 is just about the perfect CC gun... Small, light, accurate, easily concealed, and reliable. It fits my hand like a glove. I carry it in a nice Tommy Theis combat-cut horsehide holster. I have the extended mag, and I carry a spare extended mag in my weak side pocket.

I got these new guns for Christmas (presents to myself!) - a Beretta full-size PX4 pistol and a Beretta CX4 carbine.... both in .40 cal (my favorite). They use the same 14-round mags, and I have 5 of them. I will be carrying the PX4 in the cold months, as soon as the Crossbreed IWB holster arrives. I got a nice 1.75" x 1/4" thick Daltech gun belt to hold the weight of the PX4, too... it's just a TAD heavier than the P938! LOL

I REALLY like the way these Berettas shoot! I got a nice foregrip for the CX4 with a 600 lumen LED light and a blindingly-bright strobe on it, and also a red dot sight. Got a light/strobe for the PX4 as well. It's on my nightstand.

I picked up the carbine in .45 cal about a year ago. Love the accuracy. Added 200 lumen light with red dot laser. Great shooter. Just wish they made a higher cap mag for the .45, 8 rounders kinda suck...

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2630 on: January 17, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »

I've been carrying the Sig P238 for sometime now. Love it!

If I didn't already own the 238 the 938 would be on my hip.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2631 on: January 17, 2015, 11:14:37 AM »

When my wife wanted a 380 like all her lady rider friends had she wanted a Ruger LCP or a BodyGuard.  I did not want her to have either, felt the Sig was a much better 380.  So with her friends we went to the range, and I took a friends P238.  After my wife shot 4 different 380's she wanted the Sig P238 with out me saying a word.  If I would have told her it was the best, she would have never got it.  We have just over 1000 rounds thru it with zero issues.  Its her carry.

I just got the P938, same gun but in 9mm for summer carry, I will keep carrying the 1911's in the spring fall and winter.

I would only love to have some of your problems.........Guns, Cars or Scooters
Decisions, decisions, decisions.............must be a tough world for you!!!!! :huepfenlol2:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2632 on: January 17, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »

I picked up the carbine in .45 cal about a year ago. Love the accuracy. Added 200 lumen light with red dot laser. Great shooter. Just wish they made a higher cap mag for the .45, 8 rounders kinda suck...

That's why I bought the .40 cal CX4 and PX4... They each came with two 14-round mags, and I can get 17-round mags for them. I have 5 14-round mags now, and I will probably buy some 17-round mags.

I'd much rather have 14 (or 17) rounds of .40 cal BJHP Federal HTX 180 grain rounds in either  gun than only 8 rounds of any .45 ACP.

You can even get 30-round mags for the 9mm version of them!

Ken

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
The Wizard's Tune

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2633 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:54 PM »

That's why I bought the .40 cal CX4 and PX4... They each came with two 14-round mags, and I can get 17-round mags for them. I have 5 14-round mags now, and I will probably buy some 17-round mags.

I'd much rather have 14 (or 17) rounds of .40 cal BJHP Federal HTX 180 grain rounds in either  gun than only 8 rounds of any .45 ACP.

You can even get 30-round mags for the 9mm version of them!

Ken

Very true, but you just can't beat a .45 for knock down power. Especially in Ranger 230 grain +P. It's not called a "flying ash tray" for nuthin.. ;)

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #2634 on: January 18, 2015, 01:03:35 AM »

Very true, but you just can't beat a .45 for knock down power. Especially in Ranger 230 grain +P. It's not called a "flying ash tray" for nuthin.. ;)

No doubt that .45 ACP rules in pure stationary target knockdown power.... but I'll bet in a real shooter situation, in which the bad guys are not stationary, but are moving around unpredictably, 14 .40 cal HPs (or even 9mm) in a single mag would be preferable to 8 .45s, with reloading. That's 6 more chances to actually hit the bad guys without reloading. In an active shooter situation, it's more about the number of shots you can get off than it is about the power of a single shot.

And, energy delivered = bullet mass x velocity. In many of those comparisons, the 9mm actually wins. That's why many LE organizations have gone back to the 9mm. More shots = more effective threat deterrent, at lower cost.

I carry both (albeit usually not at the same time)... a 9mm P938 and a .40 cal PX4. I'm more confident with the 14-round PX4, with an extra weak-side 14-round mag in my pocket. That's 28 rounds with a single reload.

With the P938, I only have 7 in each mag... 15 shots total (one in the chamber on the first mag). Basically, I have double that firepower with the .40 cal... with a bigger bullet. But the P938 is easily HALF the size of the full-size PX4, and the extra single-stack 9mm mag is minuscule compared to the double-stack .40 cal PX4 mag.

Kinda depends what mood I'm in. Like one of my Army friends says... the 1911 .45 ACP is my normal CC gun... but the Walther PPK is what I carry in "church clothes"...

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2635 on: January 18, 2015, 03:56:31 AM »

Ah the old favorite caliber debate raising it's head again....... :huepfenlol2:

We can always invent scenarios where a hand cannon with large capacity of rounds is needed to stop the hoards of bad guys attacking.
In reality the average self defense shooting is against one person within 21 feet and only 2 or 3 shots are fired. The reason multiple offender and large number of rounds fired makes the news is that it was out of the ordinary. People who carry for self defense may get tired lugging a large capacity weapon around or have trouble concealing it so they stop carrying it. It's better to carry a comfortable weapon that you can hit the target reliably with then spray and pray.
When you look at history the .45ACP was developed for it's stopping power since the soldiers fighting the Morros in the Philippines were complaining that the standard issue .38 couldn't stop the charging enemy. When you look at one shot stops in police and other shootings you will always find the .45ACP at or very near the top of the chart.
The U.S. Military was interested in keeping the .45ACP in service but they had to look at ammo resupply issues and the rest of NATO was using the .9mm so that pushed the change to .9mm. The military also taught things like field of fire and spraying enough rounds down range to have something hit the enemy. (one reason for full auto fire) but after awhile controlled fire was considered a better tactic (One reason for 3 shot burst vs. full auto).
The military also doesn't worry about where each fired round goes since they don't have to worry like a police officer or a civilian about hitting innocent bystanders.
I personally would worry about hosing down a neighborhood or parking lot with 30 rounds or more. I know it's better to be tried by twelve then carried by 6 but you better have some good legal defense in a shooting.
Police departments select weapons for many different reasons which may not translate for individual personal carry. Many departments standardize and require all officers to carry the same gun regardless of assignment (unless undercover) and sometimes even off-duty so they make compromises so that it works in uniform and off-duty as well as for large officers and petite ones. Sometimes departments resist moving to a larger caliber because they feel their smaller officers can't handle the size of the weapon or it's recoil. Sometimes selections of weapons are made based on contracts with a certain manufacturer or distributor not because of officer input.
I would also encourage a person who carries for self defense to try and stay with one caliber and style of gun in the same location of carry so it becomes second nature and you don't have to be concerned about mechanics of draw and fire and you won't have to worry about different weapon functions and ballistics.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2636 on: January 18, 2015, 08:05:25 AM »

I've been carrying the Sig P238 for sometime now. Love it!

If I didn't already own the 238 the 938 would be on my hip.

My wife has been carrying the P238 for a few years.  It has never failed to fire or any other hiccup, it has around 2K rounds through it.  I like it so much, was the reason I picked the P938 up for me for a summer carry.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FL CVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE in Sherwood Green & Galactic Black
« Reply #2637 on: January 18, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »

Just picked up a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. Slim frame, lightweight, and at $320 I couldn't pass it up. Now to save up for my wife's Ruger LCR in .357.

North Georgia Hawg

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

« Reply #2638 on: January 18, 2015, 10:24:54 AM »

Just picked up a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. Slim frame, lightweight, and at $320 I couldn't pass it up. Now to save up for my wife's Ruger LCR in .357.

That's a nice gun, and it's priced well. You got a good deal. I have a friend who just got rid of his Kahr 9mm and bought one of those. He loves it. He's a BIG guy with big hands, but he likes the slimness of the Shield.

The grip is a little too long front-to-back in relation to its width for me, though. I much prefer the fit of my P938 in my hand. 

Ken

The Wizard's Tune

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2639 on: January 18, 2015, 11:46:43 AM »

Ah the old favorite caliber debate raising it's head again....... :huepfenlol2:

We can always invent scenarios where a hand cannon with large capacity of rounds is needed to stop the hoards of bad guys attacking.
In reality the average self defense shooting is against one person within 21 feet and only 2 or 3 shots are fired. The reason multiple offender and large number of rounds fired makes the news is that it was out of the ordinary. People who carry for self defense may get tired lugging a large capacity weapon around or have trouble concealing it so they stop carrying it. It's better to carry a comfortable weapon that you can hit the target reliably with then spray and pray.
When you look at history the .45ACP was developed for it's stopping power since the soldiers fighting the Morros in the Philippines were complaining that the standard issue .38 couldn't stop the charging enemy. When you look at one shot stops in police and other shootings you will always find the .45ACP at or very near the top of the chart.
The U.S. Military was interested in keeping the .45ACP in service but they had to look at ammo resupply issues and the rest of NATO was using the .9mm so that pushed the change to .9mm. The military also taught things like field of fire and spraying enough rounds down range to have something hit the enemy. (one reason for full auto fire) but after awhile controlled fire was considered a better tactic (One reason for 3 shot burst vs. full auto).
The military also doesn't worry about where each fired round goes since they don't have to worry like a police officer or a civilian about hitting innocent bystanders.
I personally would worry about hosing down a neighborhood or parking lot with 30 rounds or more. I know it's better to be tried by twelve then carried by 6 but you better have some good legal defense in a shooting.
Police departments select weapons for many different reasons which may not translate for individual personal carry. Many departments standardize and require all officers to carry the same gun regardless of assignment (unless undercover) and sometimes even off-duty so they make compromises so that it works in uniform and off-duty as well as for large officers and petite ones. Sometimes departments resist moving to a larger caliber because they feel their smaller officers can't handle the size of the weapon or it's recoil. Sometimes selections of weapons are made based on contracts with a certain manufacturer or distributor not because of officer input.
I would also encourage a person who carries for self defense to try and stay with one caliber and style of gun in the same location of carry so it becomes second nature and you don't have to be concerned about mechanics of draw and fire and you won't have to worry about different weapon functions and ballistics.
that 21 ft. is somewhat disputed according to where the numbers are coming from. some numbers are suggesting as little as 7 ft. distance. avg number of shots fired in civilian confrontation do suggest 2-3 shots fired. (f.b.i. number at one time suggested 1.7 shots fired.) think everyone agrees caliber is not near as important as familiarity with your weapon of choice. rather see a guy with ruger mk III he can shoot accurately as handcannon blasting away. guided elk hunters for a while way back when same holds true for these type firearms also. practice and experience really does count.does not hurt to be I good physical shape for elk,also. still think best defense is run Forrest run. think you are dead on with your  assessment.                                                                                                                   
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 201

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 21 queries.