Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590746 times)

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2640 on: January 18, 2015, 06:48:16 PM »

And, energy delivered = bullet mass x velocity. In many of those comparisons, the 9mm actually wins. That's why many LE organizations have gone back to the 9mm. More shots = more effective threat deterrent, at lower cost.

Hold on now. Up here in the northeast its primarily .40 or 45. While duty weapons for L.E. are high capacity SHOT PLACEMENT is the main concern, I.E. center mass. Unlike the bad guys the good guys have to account for every round, no "spray and pray". To my knowledge none of the agencies in my area have gone back to 9mm, in fact some are going from .40 to .45. Either round is still effective, especially with some of the loads now available.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2641 on: January 18, 2015, 09:56:58 PM »

It's not the number of rounds fired that count but how accurately they are placed on target. Practice, practice, practice . . .
Jesus is Lord

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2642 on: January 18, 2015, 10:10:01 PM »

Just finished up my classes today. A little range time with the instructor and I've got my certificate. I know I've put 1000 rounds through my gun since I got it a little over a month ago.

One thing I found out in class I thought was very interesting. In Ohio, a motorcycle is considered the same as a cage for the purpose of carrying a handgun. You cannot open carry a loaded weapon on a bike without a CCW permit. Kinda crazy if you ask me as it would be in plain sight but that's the law here in the Buckeye state. Once I have my Ohio permit, I'll take a quick trip over the border into Pa and pick there's up also. It adds quite a few states to the reciprocity map.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Bigfoot16

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic SE
« Reply #2643 on: January 18, 2015, 11:32:48 PM »

A 3 shot bust center mass with any of my .45's  is sufficient. I carry all the time and have tried several types. I always end up going with one of my 1911's.
[img] C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\dragon.png

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2644 on: January 19, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »

Just finished up my classes today. A little range time with the instructor and I've got my certificate. I know I've put 1000 rounds through my gun since I got it a little over a month ago.

One thing I found out in class I thought was very interesting. In Ohio, a motorcycle is considered the same as a cage for the purpose of carrying a handgun. You cannot open carry a loaded weapon on a bike without a CCW permit. Kinda crazy if you ask me as it would be in plain sight but that's the law here in the Buckeye state. Once I have my Ohio permit, I'll take a quick trip over the border into Pa and pick there's up also. It adds quite a few states to the reciprocity map.

Most states you can not carry on a bike with out a CCW permit.  Also, I would never open carry.  I do not want any one to know I have a weapon on me.  The element of surprise will work in your favor.

Some states be very very careful if you ever go through them with a gun.

MD for example runs your tags when you enter the state.  They know you have a CCW, they will find a reason to stop you, speeding or what ever. They will then search for the gun.  If they find it your on your way to Jail.  NRA has had to defend several people over this.  Even if the gun is un loaded and ammo is locked away from the gun.

NJ is another to Avoid along with CT and MA.

2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2645 on: January 19, 2015, 08:10:17 AM »

Most states you can not carry on a bike with out a CCW permit.  Also, I would never open carry.  I do not want any one to know I have a weapon on me.  The element of surprise will work in your favor.

MD for example runs your tags when you enter the state.  They know you have a CCW, they will find a reason to stop you, speeding or what ever. They will then search for the gun.  If they find it your on your way to Jail.  NRA has had to defend several people over this.  Even if the gun is un loaded and ammo is locked away from the gun.

I had read when you posted that before. How in the world do they manage to do it? Cameras or just LEOs running all out of state plates?
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #2646 on: January 19, 2015, 10:37:45 AM »

I've read that about MD. Would never go there with a gun. In fact, I would never go to ANY state not on GA's reciprocity map with a gun.

I would also never carry openly. That's just advertising for trouble...

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

« Reply #2647 on: January 19, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »

Running tags only gives vehicle and registered owner info. Each individual state has a different format for info given, and some can be down right difficult to read. In Ma. a persons CCW status is not part of their vehicle or license information. I have not seen a state that has that info included in a simple vehicle registration query.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2648 on: January 19, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »

look into the Utah non resident permit it covers 32 states. It's a good one to have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2649 on: January 19, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »

Running tags only gives vehicle and registered owner info. Each individual state has a different format for info given, and some can be down right difficult to read. In Ma. a persons CCW status is not part of their vehicle or license information. I have not seen a state that has that info included in a simple vehicle registration query.
Pretty sure it's included in NC.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #2650 on: January 19, 2015, 10:51:46 AM »

...still think best defense is run Forrest run.

I agree...take cover should be step one, priority one.
And I also agree that in your normal everyday pedestrian conflict being proficient in the safe use of your firearm and the delivery of its payload on target is just as or maybe even more important than the size, make or caliber of your firearm.
As I have said in other posts on this site, I am not ex law enforcement nor ex military. But I do fully understand the responsibility I take upon myself everytime I strap on my ccw...and I am also thankful for the right to do so. Fact of the matter is that responsibility does not end if I happen to not be carrying...I am responsible for my ccw 24 hours a day which includes staying proficient in its use.
Thank you to all of you guys who are ex or current law enforcement and military for your service in keeping myself and the rest of us safe. Also, thanks for all of the great info and knowledge you share.
Stay Safe...

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

« Reply #2651 on: January 19, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »

look into the Utah non resident permit it covers 32 states. It's a good one to have

And Utah non-resident permit classes are held in many states outside of Utah. The even do several classes a year in Ma.

Camojeeper

• Steve
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2652 on: January 19, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »

And Utah non-resident permit classes are held in many states outside of Utah. The even do several classes a year in Ma.
exactly I got mine in California thru my local gun trainer. Iirc it was 200 bucks.  5 year permit $15 renewal with out more trainig

2007 FLHTCUSE2 110"  Rinehart Tru Duals,Hypercharger Air Intake,Dynojet PC III Tuning,Performance Wheel Billet 21"/18",Painted the same color as the General Lee 1970 Hemi Orange

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #2653 on: January 19, 2015, 11:09:24 AM »

I have my Pennsylvania resident ccp and Utah and Arizona. Currently the web site map states I am legal in 38 states. The map does show that my permits are useless traveling east of PA. I have not thoroughly researched the validity of info on the site but will do so prior to traveling into/through other states. I have taken the mandatory class for the Utah permit and it was pretty much of a joke...basally just an informational seminar on how to acquire the Utah permit.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #2654 on: January 19, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »

Here's a neat accessory for your smaller carry guns.  I use one on my Ruger LCP 380.  A little pricy but it works great.

http://technaclip.com/

http://technaclip.com/index.php/videos.html

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 201

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.