Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 201

Author Topic: Do you carry?  (Read 590727 times)

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Do you carry?
« Reply #2865 on: June 09, 2016, 07:20:10 PM »

I still can't believe the arrogance of the DOT Official I had the miserable occasion to talk to today.  Talk about somebody that thinks they are J. Edgar Hoover, would be an understatement.  Now listen, guys, I was polite and respectful, but this prick treated me like I was a common thug.  First thing he told me was he was instrumental in getting the State to allow DOT officers to carry a gun, and equip their vehicles with Radar, so, as he said, "they could control these idiots out here driving Trucks like they were cars!"  He then went on to inform me that, in his view, if a man needs a gun to drive a Truck, he needs to seek other employment.  He then said that while it is legal, at this time, to carry a firearm in a Commercial Vehicle in WV, he and his "people", were trying to limit that by getting a law passed that required the gun to be unloaded, and the gun and ammo be placed in a lock box, on the opposite side of the Truck, if you're driving a Day-Cab, and if you're driving a Sleeper Cab, require the gun and ammo be in a lock box, outside the cab, in the side door, under the Sleeper.  I was stunned at the drivel that came out of this guys mouth!  It was like I was dreaming, and beamed-down into liberal hell!  I mean, it was all I could do to not get his ass wound up, but I considered the source, and just listened.  What's worse than that is, that's the kind of people we've got out here in the WV DOT.  He's been fed all this chit, too, 'cause it's as obvious as the balls on a tall dog, that he lacked the intelligence to be speaking his own words.  The one thing he said that did ring true with me was; "don't break the law, and you won't get stopped.  If you don't get stopped, you won't get searched."  If this moron represents the majority of LEO's here, it's a sad day in the Mountain State.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD       
very sad day indeed! maybe, the law abiding non gun toting public will watch in horror as the bad guys have there way with this humble dot officer. they just do not understand that the majority of us really want to be on their side. oh well! thanks for the update.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2866 on: June 11, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »

RoadDawg, I wasn't directing anything toward you sir, well maybe shoot to kill.  :nixweiss:  I see the general public lining up to get a CWP and some has no business carrying a firearm. I'll hush up for now.  :drink:

Shoot em if ya got em

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #2867 on: June 12, 2016, 08:07:27 AM »

RoadDawg, I wasn't directing anything toward you sir, well maybe shoot to kill.  :nixweiss:  I see the general public lining up to get a CWP and some has no business carrying a firearm. I'll hush up for now.  :drink:

Shoot em if ya got em
TN

TN: No problem  :) You're right about some people have a CWP who shouldn't. On the other side, many well-intentioned good folks will fail when it comes time to use their firearm due to a lack of consistent training. Also, it's one thing to shoot a paper target but a whole different scenario when it comes to shooting an armed intruder, even if he/she isn't shooting back at you. Nerves, adrenaline dump, etc. But having said that, as I write this I'm watching the news about a mass shooting in Florida with 20 dead and 40 wounded. Three hundred in the club. Imagine if only 1/10th of them were armed. Most likely a different ending to a very tragic story if that were so.
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2868 on: June 12, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »

"But having said that, as I write this I'm watching the news about a mass shooting in Florida with 20 dead and 40 wounded. Three hundred in the club. Imagine if only 1/10th of them were armed. Most likely a different ending to a very tragic story if that were "

:-\
Now it has grown to 50 dead, etc.  I would agree a few of them armed could have made a difference in the outcome.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2869 on: June 12, 2016, 12:45:47 PM »

I believe that personal protection is just that ....you protecting yourself and your family or other innocents. Also that self defense has it's own responsibility that a person who carries a weapon needs to learn how to properly and legally use and secure their weapon. Problem can be that many get their gun knowledge from movies,TV and video games and that can affect outcomes in real life and can affect juries when many jurors have not grown up around weapons. (Why didn't you just wing the suspect instead of "killing" them?)  That is why many laws get passed and on the surface sound good to the general public......"Gun Free Zones" works when everyone obeys the law but problem is criminals are already breaking the law and then the zones are just creating killing zones where the criminal knows no one can shoot back.
Like someone else has already said....The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun it to have a good guy with a gun. It needs to be on scene for best results as an old expression says "when seconds count the police will be there in minutes".
I just hope this recent shooting isn't used to blame the weapons used and not the individual. When those of us who favor the legal ownership of weapons get divided on discussions over practicality of certain styles of weapons then we get eroded in our collective power to prevent bans. I remember being taught as a kid that a weapon is just a tool that can be used for good or bad it just depends on who's hands they are in.......If a weapon is left on a table for 100 years it will never kill anyone by itself.
In another vein would we tolerate the government deciding what vehicle was practical for us to own (why do we need so much horsepower or luxury?).

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #2870 on: June 12, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »

For many years, I had a very quick temper, and I wore that defect of character as a badge of honor. However, I did have the presence of mind to not go healed into certain environments I had the displeasure of frequenting back then.  I'm thankful for that.  Hell, I'm alive and free because of that!  But today, Ol' Hub has mellowed, or better yet, maybe I've finally grown up, and have become a man.  I cherish my life, and the life of my fellow man.  I don't pack a gun to show-off, or to project or create fear.  I pack it for the protection of my person, my family, and my property, which I love, and that I own.  I pray to God Almighty I never have to pull it.  Ever.  That said, however, I am proficent with a handgun, and I stand ready to defend myself, if, God forbid, the unfortunate situation would come about.  But I don't walk around consumed with that.  I don't walk around lookin' for somebody to "Bust-a cap" on!  Later--HUBBARD

That was very well said, Carl.  It takes a man to see his faults, and an even better one to admit them not only to himself, but to others as well.  And the best of men do something about it after admitting it to themselves.  I commend you for that, sir.  It's a tough lesson, but one I've had to learn as well, and am still trying to apprehend for myself today.

As concerning carrying a firearm concealed, we have a God-given right to protect ourselves and our family and property.  In fact, I believe that God expects us to do that, in the most responsible manner possible.  But there is another responsibility that comes with carrying. 
I once saw a video where the notion of carrying was expanded, and in that person's mind, it comes with an obligation to protect others (yes, strangers) as well.  In that video, he called those of us who carry the "sheepdogs", because in his mind, we might be the only protection the "sheep" (or sheeple, if you prefer) would have in a bad situation.  Up until that point, the notion of protecting strangers hadn't crossed my mind in any meaningful way, but I agree with it.  We may encounter a situation where we would need to help a law enforcement officer or some other public official, or some average joe on the street at some point in time.  And at that point, you would need to have already worked out what you would do.  Render aid (in the form of aggressive protection), or look the other way.  The question becomes, if you are carrying and saw deadly violence about to occur and could save a life, would you just walk away?

The problem CCW owners are facing is civil prosecution.  Thankfully, in Arkansas we have a law that says if you are not found guilty of a crime involving your handgun, you cannot be sued in civil court by a grieving family.  In my mind, that law goes a long way to helping a CCW holder to make a tough decision about whether to render aid with a handgun...or not.   
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #2871 on: June 12, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »

"But having said that, as I write this I'm watching the news about a mass shooting in Florida with 20 dead and 40 wounded. Three hundred in the club. Imagine if only 1/10th of them were armed. Most likely a different ending to a very tragic story if that were "

:-\
Now it has grown to 50 dead, etc.  I would agree a few of them armed could have made a difference in the outcome.
The shooter must not have seen the "No Firearms" sign on the front door...
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #2872 on: June 12, 2016, 03:32:17 PM »

I have needed my firearm twice in my lifetime.  First time I was lucky enough for my training to kick in, presenting a very hard target prepared to fight for their life with good cover. I had my hand on the grip of my pistol but had not drawn.   From my position he could not tell if I had a gun or not but I definitely had the tactical advantage,one if he did present his gun  he was the one who probably was going to lose.  The drive was watching the door of the Quiktrip.  The thugs decided it would be in their best interest to leave, which they did, In a Hurry.  The only thing going through my mind was ". Don't make me shoot, Don't make me shoot.  A few seconds after they left I then started shaking, and could hardly stand up.  Talking about an adrenaline  dump. 

Second time was two years ago in New Orleans.  Both of my confrontations have happened  at filling stations,  Quiktrip & Circle K.   There is a lesson to be learned here, be very careful when you are getting gas.

The only thing that stopped me from probably shooting the guy is that as I started to draw my gun, it was not there.  I was half way out of the car, reaching for my gun , when I realized it was locked in a TSA approved case, because I was topping of the rental car on the way to the airport.  This happened in broad daylight at 13:30.  This 35 year old, very muscled thug,  attacked a 65-70 year old man from behind only 20 feet away from the front of my car. The first punch was in the back right quadrant of the mans head, he fell forward landing on his forehead.   I saw the thug, coming up behind the guy but didn't think much of it until he hit him.   The thug was oblivious to my presence, am I starting out of the car when the "O Chit" moment happened.  This thug then stomped the mans head twice.  I was with my wife and she was truly in shock. As I am getting back into the car, locking doors,and starting the motor, I told her to call 911.  She could not even hold on to the phone.  We where in self protection mode, and tried to be the best witnesses possible. We got a good description and a license plate.

All I can say is, always be prepared mentally and physically.  I feel very fortunate to have gotten through both of these unharmed.   Either one could have turned fatal in the blink of an eye.  I am sure  the many hours continuing training courses above and beyond you basic CCW helped me to respond accordingly.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:41:29 PM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #2873 on: June 12, 2016, 04:12:22 PM »

The basic CCW course does in no way prepair anyone to carry a firearm.

If you carry get some real training and be proficient. Front Sight, Thunder Ranch (Clint Smith) are just a couple of great training facilities.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #2874 on: June 12, 2016, 04:25:24 PM »

If you carry get some real training and be proficient. Front Sight, Thunder Ranch (Clint Smith) are just a couple of great training facilities.

X2  could not agree more! 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #2875 on: June 12, 2016, 08:15:31 PM »

X 3.   Having you papers in order is just the beginning.  You must have a mindset to overcome and to survive.  The best weapon you have is the gray matter between your ears.   One of my instructors told me the best way to survive a gun fight is to avoid it,  if you can't avoid it,  WIN it!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:23:29 PM by Royalroadie »
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2876 on: June 16, 2016, 10:00:33 PM »

Wilson Combat .45. Old school but really well made.

Love your Wilson.

I have a Les Baer and 2 Ed Browns.  My next 1911 will be a Bill Wilson edition Wilson Combat. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

jachd17

• Elite CVO Member
  • 1*
    • MA

• CVO1: 08 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #2877 on: June 16, 2016, 10:07:01 PM »

Love your Wilson.

I have a Les Baer and 2 Ed Browns.  My next 1911 will be a Bill Wilson edition Wilson Combat.

It appears someone is very knowledgable in quality 1911's! :)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2878 on: June 17, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »

I just love my H&K P7M8 or P7M13

BigLew

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2879 on: June 18, 2016, 09:58:33 PM »

It appears someone is very knowledgable in quality 1911's! :)

I have had a long time love of 1911's.  Learned to shoot a pistol with Grandpa's service 1911 colt.  Then got trained by the Navy with a 1911, got my expert marksman medal with a 1911.  I have more 1911's than all my other pistols and wife's pistols added together.  Most my non-1911 pistols function just like a 1911.  My Sig P-238, Sig P-938, Kimber Solo.  My 2 plastic pistols have the 1911 grip angle, the XD-40 and the XDS-40.

I have a few Kimber 1911's and a Springfield 1911 along with the others in the last post.  One can never have enough 1911's.

Winter I usually carry a Kimber Ultra CDP.  Summer its usually the P-938 or now the XDS-40
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 201

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 21 queries.