Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: installing tach on 09 springer  (Read 19549 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: installing tach on 09 springer
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 12:30:24 AM »

It is a 08' set of pipes going on a 09' that it's not supposed to fit. In the post he says he had to use the old style flange which old style flange?

Is that the only restriction using an '08 pipe on an '09? The flange is normalliy held on with a spring clip. Easily removable. Can't they get the pipe, see what flange they need, then put the correct one on? If they make a flange for an '09, and it mounts the same way on an '08 pipe, where's the issue? Am i still missing something here? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2008, 12:32:44 AM »

Hello Rheiner
Just out of interest was the tacho illuminated in red to match the other gauges, assuming the 09 is still red !

Yes, it lights up in red to match.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2008, 12:35:13 AM »

What was the cost of the riser studs and tach/mount

The riser studs were $56 each. The tach parts were taken right out of the 08 CVO springer parts manual. The total was about $450 for parts (plus riser studs). I think they charged me an hour of time to install the tach (I put on the riser studs) but it might have been a little more. The best part about doing it, other than the tach, was having 1.5 more inches of rise on the handlebars. But keep in mind, you must put in the longer riser studs or the tach will hit the spring bridge going over bumps. Unless you want the look of the tach on the handlebars, it's cheaper to put in the speedo/tach. HD came out with a new one that matches closely the stock speedometer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:01:51 AM by rheiner »

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2008, 12:41:50 AM »

It is a 08' set of pipes going on a 09' that it's not supposed to fit. In the post he says he had to use the old style flange which old style flange?

Sorry, I don't have the part numbers. My dealer knew what kind of flanges that were needed in order to make the pipes fit. The pipes barely clear the top oil line but it does clear by about 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch. However, it was a breather oil line so I'm not too concerned. If you are not confident with your service tech, I'd wait until Rinehart makes the pipes that they say will fit the 09 model and that they will cover under any warranty claim.

K-Dog

• CVO1: 2009 Softail Springer CVO Black w/emerald green
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 10:25:09 PM »

Thank you very much for the info, it is greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas. :2vrolijk_21:

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 09:20:41 AM »

Thanks for the info and the scoot is sweeeeet!!!!!!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 04:09:34 PM »

Is that the only restriction using an '08 pipe on an '09? The flange is normalliy held on with a spring clip. Easily removable. Can't they get the pipe, see what flange they need, then put the correct one on? If they make a flange for an '09, and it mounts the same way on an '08 pipe, where's the issue? Am i still missing something here? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

Just to chime in a little late on this. The 08 pipes will not fit on the 09 due to the swingarm difference.
The 240 is on the 09, but anything that fits the Rocker will fit the 09 springer

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 09:42:14 AM »

Thats what I've been told by the MOCO people!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 10:49:01 PM »

Just to chime in a little late on this. The 08 pipes will not fit on the 09 due to the swingarm difference.
The 240 is on the 09, but anything that fits the Rocker will fit the 09 springer

Ya, that's what the dealership at the MoCo told me, too, about Rinehart cross backs for my 09 CVO Springer. I bought them anyway and had them installed by their shop. See the pics of them above and right below.

By the way, I never posted a pic of the new riser studs I put on my 09 in order to get the tach to fit right. Here is one I just took this morning. Parden the dust. It's been a long winter. You can see the powder coated HD winshield adapter and black pearl cables, too. It's all working well for me.

Randall

« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:34:12 AM by rheiner »

kildar

• CVO1: fxstsse2
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 08:47:34 PM »

Stupid me ripped the wires out of my tach of my fxstsse2 tach and now I don't know what goes where.  Can someone tell me where the black green and orange wires go?  I'd be in debt to whoever it is

Thanks,
Tim

harleyboy07

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
    • CVO2: 1991 FXSTC (non cvo.)
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 03:48:08 AM »

Hello.  Just bought my 2009 CVO Springer. WOW, what a machine. Want to fit a tacho, the local H.D. dealer has got the tacho brackets and everything except the spacers. Would you still have the part no.s of the spacers you fitted to your bike. I live in Townsville. Australia.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 12:31:29 AM »

Hello.  Just bought my 2009 CVO Springer. WOW, what a machine. Want to fit a tacho, the local H.D. dealer has got the tacho brackets and everything except the spacers. Would you still have the part no.s of the spacers you fitted to your bike. I live in Townsville. Australia.

have your HD dealer look up the riser spacers from an '07 or '08 CVO Springer... :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

harleyboy07

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
    • CVO2: 1991 FXSTC (non cvo.)
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Greg.

bikerbob4

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2009, 04:04:23 PM »

I am also adding a tach on my 2009. I ordered everything including the riser studs as you mentioned. Is there a plug for this or a place to wire it in? I ordered the correct plug. Does the harness go into where the spedo is mounted? Thanks! Bob   NY

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3, Black Diamond & Emerald Flames
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »

bob,
hopefully you've gotten an answer by now on where the wires go.  If you haven't, I can tell you that I had to take mine into the HD shop and have them do it because the wiring got a little tricky.  They didn't even know how to do it.  Took them 2 hours to figure it out.  They had to splice into the wiring harness under the speedo mount and install the correct plug to make a quick disconnect if I ever need to move things around.  They did a great job and it was worth the $75 to get it done right rather than a long, drawn out, possibly disasterous wiring job I would have done on my own.  They said that it was a tricky job for even the HD mechanics.  I suppose you could do it yourself if you had an intimate knowledge of HD wiring but do you really want the wiring looking all chopped up under there if you screw it up?  I wouldn't.  Let us know how it works out.

PG
2009 FXSTSSE3
V & H Big Radius 2-in-2 Pipes
Power Commander
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.