Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2011 103"  (Read 3457 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: 2011 103"
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

No reason that a 120" R, or 124", or 131"er shouldn't be just fine. :)
Scott

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »

Everyone is making good points here. I guess what I'm asking is the 120R similiar to the 110" we have as far as reliablility?

Vrog,

Ask Sandubar how he likes his in the 07 SE Ultra.

IMO it is better and stronger out of the gate with lower compression that a 110 would have to be to get there to the same 120/120.  There are 4 of these 120r's running around locally and so far no issues.   One is/will be beat pretty hard so that imo will be the real test of how well they hold up.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:14:06 PM »

Vrog,

Ask Sandubar how he likes his in the 07 SE Ultra.

IMO it is better and stronger out of the gate with lower compression that a 110 would have to be to get there to the same 120/120.  There are 4 of these 120r's running around locally and so far no issues.   One is/will be beat pretty hard so that imo will be the real test of how well they hold up.

I take it that's yours? :nixweiss:

Three other 120's that will not be beat pretty hard?  That's a concern. :nervous:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:54:26 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 02:20:05 PM »

Everyone is making good points here. I guess what I'm asking is the 120R similiar to the 110" we have as far as reliablility?

I think you're asking a question that at this point, really can't be answered because there are not enough of them out there on the road at this point to know.

Like Spiderman said, how much is enough?  I guess that depends on who you are, and how much money you want to spend, and how reliable you need the motor to be.  For me, enough has always been putting decent headers, mufflers, and if needed, a different air cleaner assembly, then getting a decent MAP for the bike to cool things down a bit, and at the same time make drivability better.  Beyond that, it's hard to figure out where to stop with the modifications, IMO, and you have to start being concerned with the bottom end of the motor, which gets into some more serious $$.  Even stock, the crankshaft on the 110 is something to be concerned about, and if the 120 has the same type, I'd be even more concerned.  But, I'm not a motor head, so take what I say with however many grains of salt you choose.  If I really wanted to go fast, I'd just buy a 13K Ducati and scare myself to death....which I did, and sold it.

But, back to the point...in another year or so, when there are enough 120's out there with some real miles on them, there might be a better answer to you question...especially if they put the 120 in ALL CVO bikes in 2012.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Half_Crazy

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »

how fast is fast enough?

That is a tough question. Some people think stock is plenty fast enough, and it's hard to argue with that. Considering the speed limit is 75 at the most, in theory, a bike that will accelerate OK and cruise easily at 75-80 mph should be plenty adequate... But then again, if that was all we bought bikes for no one needs a CVO Harley. If doing the speed limit was the only criterion, a Honda Rebel would meet the requirement. We buy what we buy for subjective/emotional reasons and I would venture a guess that most guys on CVOHarley.com didn't buy their current bike because it was practical. If they wanted practical they'd be driving a freakin' mini-van, right?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »

JCZ,

I have not ventured this particular path as of yet, my Krypto is just getting passed the break in although once I sell my 131 that was replaced by Jim's I will probably pull the trigger :)

The one that is rode hard was built to play with his friend that has an Rev Performance build.   They run them hard all the time.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

jcd520

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »

Just for chits and giggles, let's toss into this discussion the reliability factor. There's no doubt you can build a rocket motor out of almost any stock H-D, or you can buy a big inch fast motor, spend more money and make it go even faster. One thing you never see is any metrics on the reliability of any of the big aftermarket motors. At best you join a forum like this one and hope you can glean some useful information on what you can expect to get for your hard earned Benjamins out of motors A, B, C or D. Another issue is how fast is fast enough - - -or too fast. At what point are you building something you truly only get to make use of on those rare occasions when you throw caution to the wind (ie - -ignore the possibility of getting caught) or you take the vehicle to a track. A long time ago I had to have bigger better faster more. At some point, I got tired of tickets and insurance costs being through the roof and something always needing attention mechanically and decided to settle for faster than OEM but still reliable and not so insanely quick as to keep me in a constant adrenaline rush which renders me unable to think logically.

And that's my soapbox for the day

B B

This is  probably the smartest comment I have heard lately on this forum! All any Harley really needs is just more torque. Plain old brute torque. All of us know that in stock trim , with the exception of the 110's they take 3 days to pass a car. You do headpipe , tune, and mufflers (baffles , slipons , whatever) and that pretty well fixes the problem. Anything over that and you are asking for more trouble in the form of the types experienced by spiderman. Nothing wrong  at all with building that big ass motor , we have all done it, just keep in mind there is a place for everything. If you just want to enjoy your ride , long or short, and not be wrenching or watching for the man all the time then the mods described above should trip your trigger just fine. Whatever you decide be safe and be sane!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 25 queries.