Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: 110 cu SERK4 motor upgrade options  (Read 32844 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 110 cu SERK4 motor upgrade options
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 09:21:18 AM »

Looks like I'll be getting a new rear cylinder. The sleeve/liner moved causing the gasket leak.  The service a number of 110 cii motors. Lucky me, I'm the only one experiencing problems.

My guys are recommending I consider going with Axtell jugs to eliminate the problem in the future.

Why can't a Harley use Harley parts?

JW

Because they're designed by accountants, not engineers I guess! :o Sure seems that way anyhow! ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »

Looks like I'll be getting a new rear cylinder. The sleeve/liner moved causing the gasket leak.  The service a number of 110 cii motors. Lucky me, I'm the only one experiencing problems.

My guys are recommending I consider going with Axtell jugs to eliminate the problem in the future.

Why can't a Harley use Harley parts?

JW
How many miles when your leak began? Thanks

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 09:44:27 PM »

FNGw/08SERK

Only had 3673 miles on her. Talked with my builder at lenght. They have several 110's on road with over 20000 miles with no problems. These guys have been very honest with me. They brought up the crank issue to me first. They have had three cranks go out on 96 ci motors lately. They have also told me the MoCo does know about the crank problem however have no current plans to fix the crank issue they have heard of.

Howie
You may be right. I just don't get how they can't get the 110 ci cylinders right. They are not having this problem with any of their other cylinders including 113 builds. More talking with Wes when he gets back.

JW

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »

Because they're designed by accountants, not engineers I guess! :o Sure seems that way anyhow! ::) ;)

Hoist! 8)

I tend to believe there is more truth to that statement then we care to know... :sauer055:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2008, 09:56:43 PM »

I hear ya Scott!  >:(

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »

FNGw/08SERK

Only had 3673 miles on her. Talked with my builder at lenght. They have several 110's on road with over 20000 miles with no problems. These guys have been very honest with me. They brought up the crank issue to me first. They have had three cranks go out on 96 ci motors lately. They have also told me the MoCo does know about the crank problem however have no current plans to fix the crank issue they have heard of.

Howie
You may be right. I just don't get how they can't get the 110 ci cylinders right. They are not having this problem with any of their other cylinders including 113 builds. More talking with Wes when he gets back.

JW

I guess I need to watch this closely, I've got about 2800 on my clock  :nervous:  :nervous:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »

FNGw/08SERK

Wishing you go luck. I would really like to know how many 110 ci owners there are and what percent are having these problems. At my dealer, there are approx 14 - 7 110's on the road / CVO's and builds they have done. I'm the only one with the problems so far. The 110 build they did on the 07 Street Glide I traded for my SERK is still flying high with no problems. I had over 5000 miles on her before the trade. There must be a common thread on why some cylinders fail and other (the majority?) do not. You would think the MoCo could trace the problems, identify this common denominator and fix the damn problem.

JW

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »

FNGw/08SERK

Wishing you go luck. I would really like to know how many 110 ci owners there are and what percent are having these problems. At my dealer, there are approx 14 - 7 110's on the road / CVO's and builds they have done. I'm the only one with the problems so far. The 110 build they did on the 07 Street Glide I traded for my SERK is still flying high with no problems. I had over 5000 miles on her before the trade. There must be a common thread on why some cylinders fail and other (the majority?) do not. You would think the MoCo could trace the problems, identify this common denominator and fix the damn problem.

JW
Admittedly, I haven't watched this as close as i should (denial I guess) but it seems that the sleeves come up pretty consistently as a possible problem. I guess time will cure all. Hope this works out for ya in the long run JW!!  :2vrolijk_21:

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 04:17:51 PM »

Well I'm splitting the bottom for the crank work and Timken bearing. If the service rep states the MoCo knows about the problem but is taking no action, I must do something to protect myself. My top end options appear to be:

1. Replace Harley part with Harley part as this is an rare problem and the MoCo is/will isolate it and make the fix.

2. Replace the cylinder with Axtel 110 cylinder and find paint to match the Granite motor. Cost around $800.

3. Go the whole 9 yards and bore it out the bottom end for a 117 build with Axtel cylinders and pistons. Cost $1300

Wes (Cycle Rama) recommends staying with the Harley cylinder or going bigger with the Axtels. The guys at the shop think now is the time to make it bigger as I'm already paying for the labor. I'm leaning to staying a 110 ci with the Harley part if I can feel comfortable the issue will not reoccur.

Making a cylinder is not rocket science. They have been making em for 105 years. In talking with a lot of builders, I do not believe it is a junk part because it's a Harley part. Like all manufactures, they all make somethings well and other stuff can be questionable. Example the new cam plate is a very good product.

JW

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2008, 04:45:44 PM »

Well I'm splitting the bottom for the crank work and Timken bearing. If the service rep states the MoCo knows about the problem but is taking no action, I must do something to protect myself. My top end options appear to be:

1. Replace Harley part with Harley part as this is an rare problem and the MoCo is/will isolate it and make the fix.

2. Replace the cylinder with Axtel 110 cylinder and find paint to match the Granite motor. Cost around $800.

3. Go the whole 9 yards and bore it out the bottom end for a 117 build with Axtel cylinders and pistons. Cost $1300

Wes (Cycle Rama) recommends staying with the Harley cylinder or going bigger with the Axtels. The guys at the shop think now is the time to make it bigger as I'm already paying for the labor. I'm leaning to staying a 110 ci with the Harley part if I can feel comfortable the issue will not reoccur.

Making a cylinder is not rocket science. They have been making em for 105 years. In talking with a lot of builders, I do not believe it is a junk part because it's a Harley part. Like all manufactures, they all make somethings well and other stuff can be questionable. Example the new cam plate is a very good product.

JW

My thoughts are if you want to do no more then fix it and be done with it, then replace the all parts that you think are even remotely involved.  Cylinders certainly make that list.  Also gaskets... No MOCO gaskets...Only Cometic gaskets and Cometic torquing procedures.  Head and Cam work to get the heat out of the heads...the rest becomes optional based on added performance desires...

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 05:41:38 PM »

JW

You're going thru all this time and expense to get this right. Why take chances. IMO, I'd go with the strongest chit you can find when putting it back together. Whether you stay 110 or go bigger, go with the Axtell barrels! ;)

What are you doing about a crank? If you're doing the Timkin bearing conversion, take a good look at the S&S crank. It's night and day difference in quality to the HD crank! Something to consider.

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »

I made the decision today to go with the Axtel cylinders with the JE pistons. In talking /Chaz @ Axtel, I ordered the parts I need as Wes will be doing the rings and gaskets. Got the paint number for the 08 Granite motors so they'll match up nice. Probably will diamond cut heads and cylinders since I'm not worried I'll have any more problems.

Darkhorse has my crank at this time. (Can I say that  ::) After they do their magic I hope to never have an issue with it. Run out will be measured on both sides of the crank to make certain we get it right.

Be looking to sell some take off parts soon to help off set the cost of aftermarket cylinders.

And the build continues.....

JW
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 06:16:31 PM by Black Diamond 110 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »

I made the decision today to go with the Axtel cylinders with the JE pistons. In talking /Chaz @ Axtel, I ordered the parts I need as Wes will be doing the rings and gaskets. Got the paint number for the 08 Granite motors so they'll match up nice. Probably will diamond cut heads and cylinders since I'm not worried I'll have any more problems.

Darkhorse has my crank at this time. (Can I say that  ::) After they do their magic I hope to never have an issue with it. Run out will be measured on both sides of the crank to make certain we get it right.

Be looking to sell some take off parts soon to help off set the cost of aftermarket cylinders.

JW

Far out man! You're moving along nicely. I wish you much success with your PROPERLY built 110 engine! And I'm hoping for the same! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »

JW

JW,

Glad to see you are changing to Axtell cylinders!  Even if it is only a precaution - it is peace of mind...  What size motor are you building?  Still a 110? 

I had pretty good luck selling my take off 110 parts on Ebay.  Sold virtually everything.  Came out of it with well over 1K...

good luck   :2vrolijk_21:

Scott
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 07:56:17 PM »

Did you put a reserve or just let them go ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.