Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Power Saddlebag Locks from 2007 Retrofit  (Read 26534 times)

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
Re: Power Saddlebag Locks from 2007 Retrofit
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 10:06:05 PM »

Don - what will you come up with next?  As usual, great job with installation tutorial for us who just gotta' have it.  PJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 11:25:39 PM »

Don - what will you come up with next?  As usual, great job with installation tutorial for us who just gotta' have it.  PJ

Thanks Pete.  The red bike is already an 05-06-07-aftermarket model with a little bit of pinstriping thrown in for good measure.  Have no idea what might get interesting next.  But whatever it is will wait until after this fall.  The bike is done being screwed with for this year (amen!).

Also to answer a question sent via PM:

Yes, if the saddlebag lid is left attached you can drill the hole you need to through the side of the saddlebag.  With the lid latched down in its normal closed and locked position you can drill straight through the hold created when you removed the lock tumber.  That is, in fact, how the right side was done.

I still used the right angle drill and made the pilot hole from the inside.  Was easier to eyeball for center through the little hole in the cable bracket.  Then drilled the big hole from the outside right through the hole in the latch where the tumbler had just been removed.  Will edit the post in this thread that covers this part of the task so that it also reflects this clarification.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 11:30:21 PM by Twolanerider »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2007, 08:18:19 AM »

Once again, an awesome write-up. Very well done.

I will add one item to note. If this is done on an Ultra Classic, where all four switch holes are already used in the fairing cap, HD has combined the Cruise and Spot switches into one momentary rocker switch, located in the position of the current spot switch. Just one extra part to do to get when doing this on an Ultra.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 08:49:36 AM »

Holy Moly Don awesome tutorial of install  :2vrolijk_21:

Pretty much decided it's way over my head but I think I will have it done

Thanks again for the in depth detail

jeffj

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2007, 10:59:58 AM »

If you click on the schematic image it will blow up to a usable size.  The only other line drawing I'll supply is the parts breakdown for the saddlebag itself from an 07 manual (thanks again Gene!).

This parts breakdown is upplied just for general orientation purposes.  The images to follow will likely prove to be more helpful.

The only parts needed that aren't illustrated in this breakdown are the pieces of the harness you'll build for the bike and a new lock tumbler for the saddlebag latch.  That tumbler is in the lid breakdown.  But it's the only piece different up there. 

The tumbler is a new 07 part number.  You can order it keyed to match prior year bikes though.  The part number for the locks is for a pair.  So just order a qty 1 of the part number.  Otherwise you'll have spare parts.

One note, ordering the keyed to match locks gets you a spare set of keys supplied along with them.  So that's a bit of a side benefit.
Dude,

Do you split Atoms for a living or what? GEEZ! Now I know who writes those instruction manuals. Keep up the tutorials! I love em.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2007, 12:27:03 PM »

Once again, an awesome write-up. Very well done.

I will add one item to note. If this is done on an Ultra Classic, where all four switch holes are already used in the fairing cap, HD has combined the Cruise and Spot switches into one momentary rocker switch, located in the position of the current spot switch. Just one extra part to do to get when doing this on an Ultra.

Thanks Chuck.  I'd intended to mention that combination switch for those that didn't have the spare mounting location.  But then just didn't think of it when the time came.  Brain fart..... 

Do you know yet when you get the new shocks?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2007, 12:30:10 PM »

Holy Moly Don awesome tutorial of install  :2vrolijk_21:

Pretty much decided it's way over my head but I think I will have it done

Thanks again for the in depth detail

jeffj

Gotta wonder; how many more would do this if they could just buy the wiring harness?  Then it'd be a simple plug and play affair with a little bit of bolt on and a couple small holes to drill.  If someone could pull the tank (or at least raise it enough to get the wired underneath) they could do the deed.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »

There is only one word I can say..... WOW!!!!

Great review, install and pictorial. :2vrolijk_21: When I see you doing stuff like this I think it might just be a blessing we don't live closer together. More then likely if we did I'd be there watching/helping you do this and would end up wanting to have it done to my bike. :nervous: Knowing that you're to far away and I would never attempt this on my own I'm content on walking my fat arse around the bike and locking the saddlebags. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »

There is only one word I can say..... WOW!!!!

Great review, install and pictorial. :2vrolijk_21: When I see you doing stuff like this I think it might just be a blessing we don't live closer together. More then likely if we did I'd be there watching/helping you do this and would end up wanting to have it done to my bike. :nervous: Knowing that you're to far away and I would never attempt this on my own I'm content on walking my fat arse around the bike and locking the saddlebags. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Gary, I know this isn't a "big deal" type of mod or upgrade.  But I do grin a little when I've got my own fat arse just sitting there in the seat and can just reach forward and push the button.

Best so far was yesterday.  There was a "grand re-opening" going on at the local shop after a major remodel of the facility.  Didn't think I'd have time to go but ended up making it out for a few minutes late in the afternoon. 

Parked next to an Ultra, hit the kill switch and unlocked the bags.  Guy and his wife/girlfriend/whatever sitting on the Ultra both noticed the button being pushed and heard the little mechanism work in the saddlebags.  Guy asked "what was that?"  I told him "power saddlebag locks." 

The women leaned forward and said "yours don't have that!"  The guy just slumped forward in the seat a little and shook his head from side to side.  It was great.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 01:29:33 PM »

Parked next to an Ultra, hit the kill switch and unlocked the bags.  Guy and his wife/girlfriend/whatever sitting on the Ultra both noticed the button being pushed and heard the little mechanism work in the saddlebags.  Guy asked "what was that?"  I told him "power saddlebag locks." 

The women leaned forward and said "yours don't have that!"  The guy just slumped forward in the seat a little and shook his head from side to side.  It was great.
:ROFLOL: You are a bad, bad man. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007, 04:12:20 PM »

Gotta wonder; how many more would do this if they could just buy the wiring harness?  Then it'd be a simple plug and play affair with a little bit of bolt on and a couple small holes to drill.  If someone could pull the tank (or at least raise it enough to get the wired underneath) they could do the deed.
I think you should mass produce wiring harnesses to sell to us layman on the site. Or, give them away free is good too!
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »

I would be lying if I said the "Wow Factor" isn't a major reason I want it......lol

However, I Would also lock my bags more often as sometimes I leave the scoot and wonder if I locked the bags

So I pretty much have justified it now just gotta get it

Thanks again Don for being one of the Guinea pigs (so to speak) on trying new things for the scoots :2vrolijk_21:

jeffj

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »

Well done Don! Are you planning the tour pack auto lock next?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »

Thanks Chuck.  I'd intended to mention that combination switch for those that didn't have the spare mounting location.  But then just didn't think of it when the time came.  Brain fart..... 

Do you know yet when you get the new shocks?

Well, with such an awesome write-up, I guess we'll forgive this little omission.

As for the shocks, I would expect to hear something end of week, or into next. I checked out the web site to try to get a clue what the offering was. I hope the work well, 'cuz they ain't too sexy looking.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »

Well done Don! Are you planning the tour pack auto lock next?

Sky, I'm not.  In fact I didn't even look at the hardware kit for the leather tour pak to see if it would retrofit in to a hard tour pak.  In my case my tour paks aren't on the bike unless I'm on a road trip.  And even then I'm in and out of the tour pak seemingly every stop independent of the saddlebags.  So for me it made more sense to keep the tour pak separate.

The wiring part would be easy.  It's just the same wire pair that goes to each saddlebag.  Doesn't matter how many times you split off that pair as long as the split is after the diode. 

Simply don't have a clue on the tour pak hardware though.  First reaction is that since the shape of the paks are so much different, and their latches are different, the hardware would not retrofit.  But since I never even looked at a breakdown for it that's just a guess. 

The saddlebags were obvsously retrofittable (hmm, new word?).  Same shape bags and a bunch of the other latch parts stayed the same.  Next time I'm out at the bike shop I'll borrow their manual for SEUC2s and look at the tour pak breakdown.  See if anything can be guessed from the picture.  Alternatively, next time I'm close to SEUC2 will eyeball the inside of the tour pak and see what the hardware package looks like.  I'd not be optimistic for a direct bolt in retrofit for the tour pak though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 24 queries.