Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Spark Knock  (Read 8837 times)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
Re:  Spark Knock
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2005, 07:38:26 PM »

Thanks, that's good information.

electraglidese

• Love to ride

• CVO1: FLHTCSE 2004
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 11:54:03 PM »

I have a SEEG 2004 with air cleaner pipes and ecm upgrade and last sumeer when the temp got past 95 degrees I had the knocking also, really bad at 60 mph in 5th gear if you rolled the throttle on to fast it was bad. I have changed plugs from the stock Harley plug to Autolite 4162 the bike runs good but haven't had any real hot weather yet. I have looked at the Autolite web page and or champion and they claimed one heat range of plug can make a difference of 70 to 140 degrees in the cylinder.  I really don't want to spend the 459 bucks plus dyno time and maybe lost fuel economy to get rid of the ping. The web page also said the only thing worse then detonation is running out of oil outch!!
The local dealer says no big deal down shift, you really want down shift your boot up thier you know what ! good luck ride hard have fun

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 11:26:11 PM »

Ignition timing is a real pain to get right on. But I can tell you that it is not good to have your engine pinging.  Got caught in a headwind up a long pull started to ping, had to keep going, 5 miles later, even with down shifting, burned a hole in the piston.  This was on an evo, carburated, 1200 miles on the build.  The timing plate rotated, and the next thing I knew, I was on the side of the road.  On these hot motors, I wouldn't let any dealer tell me it was OK, occasionally.  If it is consistant under certain operating circumstances, unless you  are running at 2k regularly, then jump up and down in the dealership till it gets right.  These motors tho, should be run at a min of 2200 rpms.  That is where their power curve starts, and is also the beginning of their sweet spot. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 11:45:26 PM »

Another quick check......add a little Octane Boost (can be bought at any auto parts) to the next tank of fuel.  If it still does it, then you can also try running your bike at a higher RPM and see if it still does it.  It's not good lugging a stroker.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.