Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who's line is it anyway?  (Read 713 times)

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
Who's line is it anyway?
« on: June 19, 2005, 05:14:32 PM »

I have the freedom setup and the bike runs great (albeit hot hot hot). My issue unlike another thread about poor hot starts is that mine requires to turn the starter for 10 to 15 seconds and once it starts the idle goes wild from close to dying (sometimes it does if I take off before it warmsup) to 1400 rpms and goes up and down until warm Once hot the bike starts with just a quick touch.
Now here's a varity of reasons I have heard is the problem, but does anyone know if there is something I can do about it.
1- The ECM thinks your bike is stock till it warms up and does not know how to handle the freedom setup.
2- Your temperature sensor may be bad.
3- PCIII does not handle your start up process.

There's more, but these seem close to reasonable. If, in fact the ECM has control until warm and the PCIII then takes over, should I consider having a stage 1 ECM program?

By the way, happy father's day to my fellow dads out there. [smiley=beerchug.gif]
ufo
2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2, Freesom package, HD2003 pcIII map
2003 Road King Classic 6 speed big bore forged pistons cnc ported heads 251 cam race tuner rinehart true duals

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Who's line is it anyway?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 05:18:50 PM »

[smiley=oops.gif] Ok, maybe one beer too many [smiley=drink.gif], did I mention the key words here are COLD START. Nope  [smiley=nixweiss.gif].
2003 Road King Classic 6 speed big bore forged pistons cnc ported heads 251 cam race tuner rinehart true duals

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 05:21:26 PM »

UFO

Call Brad at Freedom.
He's the dyno tuning master.
Bet he knows whats happening!

ufo

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:44:42 PM »

Thanks HD. [smiley=beerchug.gif]
Brad really knows his stuff. Said that the answer (local expert on Dynojet) was correct for pcIII on ECU governing start up but that is not the case with a USB. Very simple fix if anyone else has eratic cold starts as I described. The bike has to be running, connect the USB, load the software and select PC commander tools and then throttle position. My low end # (there are 3) was set too low. A click on the "<" between the first 2 numbers and "OK" did the trick. I let the engine cool and it started right up and idled beautifully. [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.