Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Starter issues  (Read 23379 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Starter issues
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »

it will not start when I hit the starter button.  It doesn't do anything except a small click on two of the occassions.

and twice I've used a small piece of wire that I now keep in my windshield pouch to jump it over.

If you have already removed the ground&positive cables from the starter and cleaned as Jim and Stu have suggested, remove the 3 bolt soloenoid cover cover on the starter and remove the plunger and lightly sand the contact washer on the plunger as well as the contacts in the starter housing.  Also, don't forget the starter relay under the seat that will sometimes just click and not send the signal to the trigger wire on the starter.  You have done well in only having a few starter problems in 42K miles.  Hope this helps.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 09:35:01 AM »

Duane-The link provided is a gear set from Compufire.  I used the 10-84 gearset from Rivera.  I bought  the Rivera gearset from a recommendation of Mark from M&M Cycles over the Compufire as he did not like the Compufire starters.  He will sell you the Rivera gearset and primary gasket and seal kit from Cometic at 15-20% off list.  I also put on the MOCO chrome starter and the Rivera starter jackshaft kit at the time of the ringear replacement.

www.mandmcycles.com   The main thing you have to remember with Mark is that it takes 10-14 days to get as he has to order most everything.

Bob, have dealt with M&M several times.

Was is the "Rivera starter jackshaft kit"?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 10:45:51 AM »

Was is the "Rivera starter jackshaft kit"?

The starter jackshaft kit is their part# 1185-0004 and the 10-84 ring gear set is 2171-0011.
www.riveraengineering.com   page 223

I replaced the jackshaft (kit) as I didn't want any more starter problems (didn't know if mine was bent or worn).  The jackshaft goes between the starter and the starter bendix (pinion gear)..  You have to remove the inner primary to replace the jackshaft and related parts.  You do not have to pull the inner primary to replace just the starter pinion gear.

You can read the install instructions on Rivera's website.  When you install the new ringear, the bevel goes AWAY from the pinion gear.  Rivera's website says to put bevel towards the pinion gear but that only pertains to belt drives for clearance.  I called them and confirmed this.  If you read Compufire's instructions, their's says AWAY from pinion gear (bevel edge).

You probably already know that but just in case.  Bob
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:49:26 AM by Boatman »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »

Now I have a reason to get that spare inner primary I have chromed, thanks Bob  :confused5:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 11:56:13 AM »

The grinding noise can also be from the over running clutch be careful when you replace this as there are 2 main types but in those types it seems each manufacturer is slightly different, keep the jack shaft and spring that comes with the new over running clutch together as they can be different lengths and if miss matched will not engage the ring gear all the way which rips the teeth out. I went to a 66/9 ratio which is the strongest as my 127 is a bit of a bitch to turn over. The other thing is you might have to go to a higher amp battery when you upgrade the starter. The other thing that can help is to run a separate ground wire from the battery directly to a mounting bolt on the starter then upgrade the size of the positive cable. Especially with the rubber mounted motors. My 110 S&S was the worst because of no compression releases.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »

Sounds like I'm experiencing the same.  '05 SEEG grinding when starting hot (been getting progressively worse) to the point where I thought it wouldn't start today.  Talked with Mark at M&M and the 10-84 Riviera gear set is on the way.  Never been in the primary before but I have done the cams and top end so I'm hoping its not too difficult to do myself.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 02:43:39 PM »

Sounds like I'm experiencing the same.  '05 SEEG grinding when starting hot (been getting progressively worse) to the point where I thought it wouldn't start today.  Talked with Mark at M&M and the 10-84 Riviera gear set is on the way.  Never been in the primary before but I have done the cams and top end so I'm hoping its not too difficult to do myself.

Chris

With these big motors using hydraulic lifters, I imagine you must have some type of compression relese to keep from tearing up starters/ring gears. The hydraulic lifter will bleed down at some point and cause all the valves to be closed, regardless of where in the engine/cam rotation you are. Then you have to get the lifters pumped up again before they'll open any valves again. This has got to be very tough on starters! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

toneman

• 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 07:06:59 AM »

I recently did some cam work to my 04 SEEG, didn't have any starting problems prior to work. Dealer recommended a compression release...too costly. The 2 least expensive fixes are to let the bike cool down for 10-15 minutes or keep an open end 5/8 box wrench handy. When you have to make a quick stop loosen up the rear spark plug and re-tighten...instant $4.00 compression release. Goofy but effective..works every time.   

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 07:22:06 AM »

If you have some big friends push starting works good too then you don't wear anything out.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »

So now my curiousity is up - why does this only happen when they are hot?

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »

Mine does it only when it sits and cools down. Like first thing in the morning or when I get ready to go home from work in the afternoon. When I stop for gas and re-fire it up it starts normal????????????? Harley tells me ACR's are good and SERT is tied in with them. I have had the Starter Ring Replaced??
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 01:08:58 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=19569.new;topicseen#new

There is another thread discussing similar issues. I used to have a corvette that wouldn't start when it was hot. Change out the starter and it was good for 6 months then the same issue again. The exhaust was too close to the starter, changed out the exhaust system then no more problems. The other issue when hot could be pre ignition the motor is trying to fire back against the starter if you check out the link above there is an explanation of why this happens. Based on this I would say it could be as simple as going to a higher amp battery on the 110's Some of the new Glass Matt batteries are really powerful but if you really want some power see http://www.tekbattery.com/ they make some really powerful and light batteries that can be mounted in any position.

Battery rating vs. starter size
275 CCA = 1.0 starter ( stock )
300 CCA = 1.4 starter
385 CCA = 1.8 starter
500 CCA = 2.4 starter
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »

This a cool start issue not when it is hot. It loves to start normal when its Hot.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 01:23:54 PM »

Looking for starter help. I just purchased 05 SEEG and it starts fine cold but has trouble when hot. Starter grinds and acts like it cant engage. Any ideas?

Sorry I was meaning this begining starting when hot issue. Cold of course its more load on the starter since it's a cold engine so I would load test the battery and clean all the connections. I use a product from Thomas And Betts Called Copper Shield. You can get it at most Electrical wholesalers and use it on all your battery and other connections it works wonderful and makes a huge difference, prevents corrosion. When I went to a higher amp battery, larger more flexible cables a separate ground cable from the battery to the starter and a 2kw starter with the 66/9 ring gear and pinion my problems are gone. This is on a 127 engine with 10.5 /1 compression so it takes a bit to start it.
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »

Thanks Classic Beast!! I will relay that info to Harley when I take it in. Bike is just a year old and in Arizona we have no humidity.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.