Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: 06 Advanced Audio Retrofit in 05 Bike  (Read 35472 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: 06 Advanced Audio Retrofit in 05 Bike
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2005, 01:55:29 PM »

By the way, did you decide yet if you're going to get one (new radio that is)?

Not yet, but since my CD player $h!t the bed, it seems a no-brainer to switch out to the new unit versus replacing the existing one (even if I could get it covered under warranty).  If you have to pull it out anyway, why go back to the same thing is my thinking.

Just haven't decided how much I miss the CD player not working with the handlebar mounted MP3 player.  Plus, with the memory card style MP3, I can erase files and re-save new ones at will without going through a stack of CD-R's as my musical desires change.

So, still weighing my options. :-/

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2005, 12:49:31 AM »

PJ (and others), we may not be as fortunate as we'd hoped with Pez's new amp.  Got an email from him yesterday wherein he wrote that the new little inline amp wouldn't be a good option for the 06 radios.  Wouldn't specificaly say why.  But got the impression that mounting might be an issue.  It's also supposed to be a 24 watt 2 channel unit.  So if we ever added rear speakers to complete out the intercom system there would still be issues.

Y'know what though; I can't believe that someone somewhere doesn't make a small in-line amp that we could stuff in there somehow.  May have to do some research sometime.....

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2005, 02:39:54 AM »

oh well, I'm still liking the new radio...a lot.  Is he still moving forward with the two ohm speakers?  PJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2005, 03:37:45 AM »

oh well, I'm still liking the new radio...a lot.  Is he still moving forward with the two ohm speakers?  PJ

Me too on the new radio.  Got a copy of the Advanced Audio section from an 06 owner's manual and learned a few more things about it.  The change was worth doing.  

Pez wrote that a product release should be by May.  That'll help us a bit more too.  Perhaps not a tremendous amount.  But every little bit helps.  And it's not like it really needs a lot.

pezsez

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2005, 07:46:23 AM »

Hey 2 lane.

Its KILLIN me not to be able to say anything yet about the amp--but I promise it will all make sense. Mounting is not the issue--infact there is more room for an amp in my 06 than previous bikes!!

I do expect to have 2 ohm front speakers available in Feb/March 06, and of course it will be posted when its for sure

Thanks eh!--PEZ www.hogtunes.com

If the whole world was smart, us guys with half a brain would be in real trouble!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2005, 09:59:02 AM »

PJ (and others), we may not be as fortunate as we'd hoped with Pez's new amp.  Got an email from him yesterday wherein he wrote that the new little inline amp wouldn't be a good option for the 06 radios.  Wouldn't specificaly say why.  But got the impression that mounting might be an issue.  It's also supposed to be a 24 watt 2 channel unit.  So if we ever added rear speakers to complete out the intercom system there would still be issues.

Y'know what though; I can't believe that someone somewhere doesn't make a small in-line amp that we could stuff in there somehow.  May have to do some research sometime.....

Don;
Check this company out, They're pricy but it looks like a pretty good package:
www.hawg-wired.com they list applications for 06 bikes as well. They are a local company so if there's anything you want me to check out let me know.

DEAN_NELSON

• Junior CVO Member
  • NOW A DFT TRIKE
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2005, 11:37:58 AM »

Anyone know what the software update is going to do to the unit?

I was gong to download from H-D and load to the unit but I would like to know first what changes their will be to the unit.

Dean Nelson
2006 USE
2004 SEEG SOLD
2002 V-ROD CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING
1977 XLCR
1970 XLH
1963 CHSHMAN

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2005, 11:43:01 AM »

Anyone know what the software update is going to do to the unit?

I was gong to download from H-D and load to the unit but I would like to know first what changes their will be to the unit.

Dean Nelson

Dean, several have speculated that it was to help issues with the display.  However, that is only speculation as far as I've read.  No one actually knows and Harley's website doesn't say (far be it for them to admit need to correct something).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2005, 11:47:25 AM »

Hey 2 lane.

Its KILLIN me not to be able to say anything yet about the amp--but I promise it will all make sense. Mounting is not the issue--infact there is more room for an amp in my 06 than previous bikes!!

I do expect to have 2 ohm front speakers available in Feb/March 06, and of course it will be posted when its for sure

Thanks eh!--PEZ www.hogtunes.com

Very sorry if I misinterpreted your email Pez.  When you'd written that it would mount on top of the radio, and I responded by asking if that would be a problem on 06 radios with the XM or other accessory options already on top of the radio, and you responded by saying 06 radios would be a problem I made the assumption that the occupied mounting area was in fact the problem.  Granted, you didn't say that.  It was just my inferrence from the flow of the conversation.

In any case looking forward to the speakers when you've got them ready to hit the street.  And we'll be waiting for any actual info whenever it can be provided.

DEAN_NELSON

• Junior CVO Member
  • NOW A DFT TRIKE
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2005, 12:05:54 PM »

Well......guess I will download it and try to do the install........than see is the thing still works!

I will try to do it tonight and let you know if I can tell anything.

Dean
2006 USE
2004 SEEG SOLD
2002 V-ROD CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING
1977 XLCR
1970 XLH
1963 CHSHMAN

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2005, 12:06:46 PM »

Don;
Check this company out, They're pricy but it looks like a pretty good package:
www.hawg-wired.com they list applications for 06 bikes as well. They are a local company so if there's anything you want me to check out let me know.

Thank you very much Jim.  If the company is at all represented by the look and feel of their website they must be on the ball.  The products look very professionally done and the details they're covering mean they have to have "been there and done that" and know what they're doing.  You're right on the "pricey" part, but it looks like slick stuff.

Did you notice that DIN mount front plate and bracket?  Whole lot neater than the chunky blocks and spacers that Biketronics offers.  And they've even covered details like a mount spacer for their amp to sit on 06 radios if there is only an XM or CB module but not both.  Something to just occupy the extra space so the new piece on top can set level.  Pretty slick (looking) stuff.

Definitly going to have to study it more closely when I can do more than just look at the pictures.  Thanks again!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2005, 12:09:17 PM »

Well......guess I will download it and try to do the install........than see is the thing still works!

I will try to do it tonight and let you know if I can tell anything.

Dean

Dean, you might check to see if it's even necessary first.  Following those same install steps that Harley provides to load the software you'll also see a screen that shows the current revision number installed in your radio.  Have already heard or read of a couple of bikes that were new enough production that they hit the street with the new software load already installed.  

DEAN_NELSON

• Junior CVO Member
  • NOW A DFT TRIKE
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2005, 01:08:03 PM »

I looked last night and I have v6.8 as I got the bike new. I got the bike 9-20-06 and it was built 8-05.

I just did the download from H-D and than went to burn it to a CD, and nothing worked on my conputer!

When my caps lock was on , I got small letters, an if I turned the caps lock off I would get caps!

Than I changed over to the A-L Equipment side ( the work computer) and nothing would work......could not get any thing to go the computer was just "locked up"
So I just killed the power and turned it back on and all is fine, but I am not going to mess with the H-D file anymore.......

I might have done something wrong , but I sure don't know how that would be, it is just a download.......

Dean
2006 USE
2004 SEEG SOLD
2002 V-ROD CUSTOM
1998 ROAD KING
1977 XLCR
1970 XLH
1963 CHSHMAN

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2005, 01:57:45 PM »

I looked last night and I have v6.8 as I got the bike new. I got the bike 9-20-06 and it was built 8-05.

I just did the download from H-D and than went to burn it to a CD, and nothing worked on my conputer!

When my caps lock was on , I got small letters, an if I turned the caps lock off I would get caps!

Than I changed over to the A-L Equipment side ( the work computer) and nothing would work......could not get any thing to go the computer was just "locked up"
So I just killed the power and turned it back on and all is fine, but I am not going to mess with the H-D file anymore.......

I might have done something wrong , but I sure don't know how that would be, it is just a download.......

Dean

Dean, if you really want to load it PM me your mailing address.  I'll put it on a disk and drop it to you in the mail.

Hey PJ, when this update came up again last night I got curious and went out to see what our radios had in it.  Whatever revision or change Roeder's is making is part of the latest software as it showed up at 7.8.  So whatever issue it corrects we should be good to go.

You almost have to wonder if the 7.8 revision by itself is what was necessary for the retrofit?  Of course no way to know without buying another radio and trying it straight out of the box.  And while I'm curious; I'm not that curious.  Likely not the case though.  After all, if it were ready to fly now Harley would already be marketing it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 02:09:22 PM by twolanerider »

pj57

• Senior CVO Member
  • Can't take it with you!!!

• CVO1: 2002 SERK Candy Brandywine
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2005, 03:24:02 AM »

Don, I got the same read too...Roeders seems to be on top of their game. PJ
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.