Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Chrome problems??!!  (Read 12203 times)

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
Chrome problems??!!
« on: April 06, 2004, 08:56:31 PM »

Well, I was handwashing my bike a couple of days ago, and was rubbing the wheels down with a microfiber cloth and water (such a caustic substance).  All of a sudden the chrome started peeling off in large pieces from the ($1000) wheel.  I about had a heart attack.  I have noticed for a while that the front right floorboard is wrinkling right next to the rubber strips.  Geeeez.  I guess you get what you pay for right?!?  Anyway, it will be covered, and the guy at the shop who has a twin to my bike says he had a bad mirror also.  Says it's hard to get the chrome process just right.  C'mon.  

Sooooooo...everyone please check your chrome.  See if there is a pattern in our bikes.  I hope there is not, but you never know.  I thought in the back of my mind that maybe it was some salt that I got into, but the rear wheel is fine.  That gets much dirtier than the front.  The only piece I've ever had peel before was an aftermarket chrome dash on my '99 Road King.  So this PISSES ME OFF!!!

jay

• Junior CVO Member
  • flhtcse b&b
Re: Chrome problems??!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 09:22:45 PM »

So far I haven't noticed any chrome problems on the bike itself.  However, I have the King Tour-Pak and have a chrome side light cover that is discolored.  It will be replaced, but, if you have a King Tour-Pak...check that too!
'46 FL Knuckle with sidecar
'52 Hummer 125
'65 FLH Pan
'77 XLCR
'81 FLH Hetiage Special
'87 Hetiage Custom

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 09:25:59 PM »

My bike was delivered October 2003 with peeling chrome on the front wheel. How come Pm can get it right and HD can't they're the same price now...right!!!! [smiley=confused5.gif]

Keepinit2

• Yeah baby!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 08:22:17 AM »

A buddy of mine had the same exact problem with the chrome coming off his front wheel on his SEEG and HD replaced the wheel. Could be something going on here? No problems on mine except the paint on my inner fairing came off in the bottom right hand corner. About 2" just peeled off when I was washing it. AGHHH! Anyhow, contacted HD and they are going to replace the entire inner fairing. A Newbie here, GREAT SITE!!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 08:28:25 AM »

Keepinit2 welcome to the site, you will find a wealth of info here from a group of great people.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 09:42:07 AM »

A buddy of mine had the same exact problem with the chrome coming off his front wheel on his SEEG and HD replaced the wheel. Could be something going on here? No problems on mine except the paint on my inner fairing came off in the bottom right hand corner. About 2" just peeled off when I was washing it. AGHHH! Anyhow, contacted HD and they are going to replace the entire inner fairing. A Newbie here, GREAT SITE!!

Just wanted to welcome you to the board.

No, no chrome peeling.  Sounds to me like it's contamination prior to the chroming process.  The acid bath didn't do it's job.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 09:57:45 AM »

Not on the SEEG (yet?) but I just took the Deuce off the storage stand (BTW, it may be expensive but it is great...the casters make it easy to move the bike around)

back to the issue, I left the chin spoiler on, which meant the stand was contacting the trailing edges under the frame.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 09:58:11 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 12:39:28 PM »

My bike was also delivered in October 2003 with chrome peeling off the front wheel in an area about the size of a dime.  I did not make too big of a deal about it just figuring that whoever mounted the tire did something wrong to cause it.  But now it looks like there is a trend here with the front wheels?!

The worst part for me is, six months later and I still don't have a replacement wheel.  The dealer is giving me some (apparently BS) story about all of the wheels being needed for production, so I won't see mine for awhile, but it sounds like some of you or people you know have already had their's replaced.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 03:35:03 PM »

thunder, sounds like a load of bull to me, the dealer by me has about 1/2 a dozen of those rims on display!!! [smiley=shocked2.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 04:45:14 PM »

I'm agreeing..... six months is more than patient enough.  Call HD Customer Support.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 05:46:42 PM »

Will do.  Do one of you guys have a number, or where do I find?

Patience is one of my virtures, but finding out that that's been taken advantage of will get me sideways with these guys in a hurry.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 11:35:24 AM »

Never mind.  Found the number on H-D's website.  I'll talk with the dealer one more time today and then call if I have to.  Check back here for updates on the saga.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 01:09:58 PM »

Thanks for the info guys...Wish I were alone, but glad I'm not.  

roadkingmike

• 5200 miles &amp; loving it
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 04:59:22 PM »

Have same problem with front wheel and all floor boards - Dealer has replacements on back order now.  Thanks, Mike

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 07:02:33 PM »

UPDATE . . .  My wheel is now on its way.  Supposedly ( [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=confused.gif]), the part number changed since the original warranty claim went in which caused the delay.  Parts dude says it will be here by the end of the week.

Will keep a close eye on the floorboards.  No problems yet!  [smiley=nervous.gif]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.