Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Information Overload  (Read 1506 times)

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
Information Overload
« on: February 12, 2005, 03:09:53 PM »

Great site, it reminds me alot of the Road King Riders forum.  Great people and lots of information  

I'm new to this forum and may become a regular.  I walked into our local Harley shop and was talking to the manager and he tells me that that a friend of a person who had put down a deposit on a red SEEG told him the prospective purchaser was going to forfeit the deposit because his wife left him.  We got to talking and he indicated he'd take my '04 Road King Classic (20,000 miles) in on trade for $16,000.  He didn't care if it was bone stock or I included the small fortune in accessories I added.  Unfortunately, he wants $32,000 for the new bike which I understand is about $1750 over MSRP.  He also needs to talk to the the guy who placed the deposit and expects to do that today.  The bike ships Monday, Feb. 14 and is due in the dealership before the end of the month.

I'm braindead from reading the posts here but came away with the impression that MSRP bikes are out there.  I live a  couple of hours from Seattle and the dealers there are generally over MSRP on non-CVO models.  My dealer tells me they are the lowest in the state and  they were on my RKC but only after I found a willingness to sell at MSRP in Seattle in Dec.'04.  

Since the Road King was my first Harley and second street bike after 20+ years on dirt bikes my question is whether the willingness of the dealer to take my '04 in on trade is compensation for the mark-up over MSRP?  I generally try to avoid the hassles of selling things myself and could just purchase the SEEG outright (at the same price) but my wife thinks I wouldn't ride the RKC after the new bike arrives and I suspect she's right.  She'd also be happier with 2 bikes in the garage than 3.

One of the techs "owes" me 22 hours of labor in exchange for a service I provided to him so removing the 95" kit,  pipes, wheels, tires and chrome and replaceing  them with the stock parts is feasible.  Most of the parts can be added to my wifes Heritage and the pipes, PC and wheels and tires will fit the SEEG.

If the original purchaser pulls out I'm thinking of doing this deal.  Any thoughts?
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: Information Overload
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 04:01:42 PM »

Your dealers cost on the new SEEG is $26,640.  I don't know about your area, but no one I know is buying into the MSRP plus concept and longer.  There was a time when the CVO bikes were flying out the door and the greedy little HD dealers invented the program of charging a premium.  Currently, there are lots' of CVO bikes in stock and many dealers have been taking up to a $1000 behind MSRP.  

Guess the bottom line is that it's like everything else.....if you just got to have it, the deals OK....if not, trade him for $11,500 to $12,000.  Can't be a lot of foks beating the door down at the dealer in the middle of winter in Washington State.  

Just my thoughts, but hope it helps with a perspective of the market.  

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 07:02:14 PM »

There was one in Savannah, GA on the floor that just sold for $29, 499 this week.

As to the MSRP statement, our dealer was marking them up too, however he has recently changed that position and there is little to no markup vs MSRP.

With all of the activity in the custom world, H-D is being hit and sales are being to reflect it.  Hence the conditions we describe !!

[smiley=biggthumpup.gif]

Hilts

• O.K.   Yeah   Whatever
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 02:34:04 AM »

I'm about 30 miles north of Seattle an went to Doyles HD in Eugene, OR to purchase mine.  MSRP with no additions for freight or set up.  Easy people to deal with.

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:15:34 AM »

Hey there,
Was a frequent member over at Road King Riders myself before I bought my SEEG.  This is a great forum, hope you stick around.

As for MSRP, it can be had if you do your homework.   However, I've seen worse than the price you mention.  HD stealership here had their grand opening yesterday and the red SEEG on the floor was marked $34, 995 plus tax.  There is only one dealer in this area that will do MSRP and the waiting list is long.  I would take a quick look around for MSRP but if that's the bike you want, I sure wouldn't let $1700 stop you.  If he gives you the same trade-in, stock or 95, pull the 95 kit for sure...bet you can sell it on Ebay for that $1700 or like you said, upgrade your other bike basically for free.  

As for the SEEG, it is the best HD I've owned and I've had a few...Road King was sweet but this engine/bike is the best Harley has ever made, IMO.  And if you start adding up the cost of the motor and chrome upgrades on this bike (103" kit alone is $4000 in the wish book, then add the labor to install it) it doesn't take long to get to the purchase price.  Difference is, you pay for the mods up front and their warrantied.  It's all good.  By the way, that candy red ROCKS...almost as pretty as Starlite Black and Cobalt Blue.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

good luck,

elvis

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 01:02:18 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  The bike is mine; the other guy backed out.  I told the sales manager that bikes were available for MSRP and less.  He wanted to know where and when I mentioned east and mid-west he assured me it would cost at least $1700 to get the bike shipped home.  When I countered that I'd rather ride it and indicated a trip through the south and up north through California or Nevada didn't sound bad he relented.  MSRP plus freight and $200.00 for set-up.  I whined about the set-up but he insisted.  He also agreed to take the wifes mostly stock '03 Heritage in on trade at $15000.  If I lower the King another inch she can ride that and I'm spared the hassle of removing and installing parts plus we keep a very nice Road King in the family.  Only problem is Pam's Heritage is pearl white and she loves that bike.  We do put a fair amount of mileage on the bikes and I managed to convice her that she'd be happier with the King in the long run.

Interestigly enough this is the same scenario we went through when I bought the RKC in Dec.'03.They wanted $1250 over MSRP and said they were the lowest around.  Seattle dealers were selling at MSRP in Dec. and he matched their price.  I should have known!  Eastside in Bellevue, WA got a red SEEG on some sort of promotion w/i the last several days and had money on it.  The guy has 7 days to come up with the cash.  I passed up an oppurtunity to be next on the list.  They wanted MSRP and $5000.  The salesman sounded offended when I flinched at the price.  All the other NW dealers I talked to had already sold theirs .  The only one that was at MSRP was the dealer in Eugene, Oregon, a fact I'll keep in mind for future purchases.  Thanks Hilts.

Blm777 thanks for the wake-up.  I had new bike fever real bad!  Jock, I mentioned Savannah to the sales manager and suggested I heard it was one of the most beautiful cities in the country and how it might make for an interesting trip.  Elvis, I remember you from the RK Riders forum.  Thanks for the words of encouragement.  It looks as if I may be hanging around for a while.

Now, how long does it take for HD to get a bike from York to Central Washington?  I putted around for 150 miles on Sunday but couldn't help but think how much more comfortable the SEEG would be in 40-50 degree weather.  It's going to be a long couple of weeks.
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 06:10:27 AM »

Congrats!  You are gonna love this bike.  Nice job on the negotiations...it probably helped being winter and their first guy backed out.....thought I was good but even I never tried for free set-up... [smiley=laugh.gif] ....you da man.

elvis

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 10:43:06 AM »

DDL;
Congrats on the new scoot and your great negotiating skills. I for one bought into the over MSRP price.  I do not have any regrets though as I now own the bike that I have lusted over for the last year or so.

Enjoy!!

h2oski

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 12:38:16 PM »

It is defenitely worth trying to negotiate with dealerships now as compared to just a year ago.  I just bought a 05 Screamin Eagle Fat Boy for $2000 under MSRP plus no freight or setup.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 08:26:39 PM »

Just noticed the title of this thread and remembered (fondly) that that was exactly my reaction when first finding this site.  Had the bike ordered but didn't have it in hand yet.  Still a few weeks from having it.   Preternaturally excited; probably almost as bad as a US Congressman at a blonde virgins convention.  Then found this site about 11:00 or so one evening.  

Finally stopped reading at something like 3:00 in the morning.  It was as if I'd found the mother lode.  I think the next night I only sat here and read for a couple hours......

But for reasons collegial, generally informative, technical or just fun this site has been a joy and an embarassment of riches where help and info and guidance are concerned.  Naitram and all the moderators whose work makes this site go just know that it's appreciated.

Just thinking about it makes me all tingly all over (and in those special places too).  That's how good this site is.  Thanks guys!

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 01:09:16 AM »

DDL,

Congrats on the new scoot! ....and welcome to the site.  We'll be looking forward to seeing all your pics and mods.  Glad you posted the details on your negotiations to help the rest of us waiting in line.  Just talked to my dealer & they have a long list waiting for the last of the 05 SEEGs in Yellow and I still get it for MSRP, thank god. Enjoy!

Yellowsed

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.