Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Wild 1 575 Bars  (Read 15921 times)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
Re: Wild 1 575 Bars
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2005, 01:35:53 PM »

MObe

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2005, 03:09:56 PM »

mobe:

I saw that thread earlier and was going to look at it before installation.  What exactly is the cast in spacer that you had ground off.  I have both the H-D clamp and the one from Custom Chrome and I can't figure out what you ground off.  The CC clamp came with little chrome caps to push into mounting bolt holes to hide them and it looks as if the depth is a little less than your "custom" clamp.  I'll know more this evening.

Thanks
Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2005, 03:17:19 PM »

mobe:

In looking at your photo's it appears that you routed the front brake line through the round hole with grommet in the fairing and the throttle cables where brake cable was originally routed ( at least on mine).  Is that what you were talking about when you say you had to reroute the throttle cables?

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2005, 03:58:27 PM »

Dan, regarding the routing of the cables, I ran the throttle cables where the brake line used to be to keep them from binding. When they were in their stock position, ( not through the hole in the fairing, I noticed that at full left lock the idle cable, (the one that pulls the throttle off and activates the cruise disconnect switch),  was pulling out of its housing. So through experimentation I discovered that routing it through the fairing where the brake line used to go solved my problem.
 Also the new brake line had some extra slack in it so rerouting it was no problem.

The one piece clamp that I used had a small ledge cast in to keep the clamp from rocking too far forward. Look at a heritage classic or fatboy handlebar clamp at the front and you will see what I am talking about. You will also need to relieve the part of the clamp that faces the switch housing, because it will interfere and not let the housing seat properly.....Mike
MObe

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2005, 06:02:02 PM »

Mike

Thanks again.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2005, 12:54:38 PM »

Changing out the bars was a marathon.  My hats off to those who did it in 4 hours.  I figure it took me 16 hours but it was the first time I removed the fairing and radio and I did several other thing at the same time.

The first problem I encountered was that I could not access the rear handle bar mounting bolts.  My fairing seemed to sit back futher than mobe's.  I was ready to pull out the dremel and shorten an allen head wrench when I decided to just pull the riser bolts and remove the risers, clamps and handle bar as a unit.  It occurred to me later that all I really needed to do was loosen the risers.  I never said I was a mechanic.

I used the one piece clamp I got from Custom Chrome, part number 26145, page 4.52 of their '05 catalog.  It is a direct bolt on; no machining necessary.  Cost is $15.24, less if ordered through a 20% off dealer.

I listened to the advice I got here and ordered the 2" over brake line.  Get one of those vacuum fluid excavators; makes bleeding the brakes fool proof.  My experience was similiar to mobe's in that my idle cable, at full left lock, was being pulled from its housing.  I solved the problem somewhat differently by re-routing the idle cable through the fairing support bracket rather than in front of it. That gave us (my wifes idea) the extra inch or two to we needed and allowed us to maintain the stock cable routing through the fairing.  As mobe said the throttle cable was fine.

While the fairing was off I installed Harleys high output horn.  It worked great while the outer fairing was off but was somewhat muted with it installed.  Its still better than stock by a good measure.

I also changed out the black control switches for chrome.  All I can say about that is that I'm sure glad I did it with the wiring harness on the bench rather than on the bike.  What a PIA.  I also installed a Tune Trapper and re-wired the passing lamps to stay on with the high beams.  

The 575's are an improvement over stock, at least for me.  I have a Corbin solo and it moved me back so I had to reach for the stock bars.  The back rest is now more useable and slow speed manuvering seems much enhanced.  Hopefully comfort on longer rides will improve as well.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 21 queries.