Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: New to the forum, considering a 2004 FLHTCSE  (Read 14887 times)

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
New to the forum, considering a 2004 FLHTCSE
« on: September 29, 2010, 06:29:47 PM »

Howdy, I've been a member of this forum for several years but I always used it for research, and may not have ever posted before.

I feel in love with the orange and black 2004 FLHTCSE when it was first announced back in '03, but a little financial misfortune kept me from buying one then.  I'm riding an '07 FLHTC now, and I like it, but the itch for that screaming eagle bike comes back every now and then.

I've found an '04 FLHTCSE with low miles for a decent price, and am strongly considering pulling the trigger and trading my '07 Classic for it.  I owned an '05 Ultra before the '07 so I understand the cam chain issues and the difference between the 5 spd and 6 spd (I personally DO NOT LIKE the transmission on my '07, I feel like I'm rowing it through the gears constantly).  This particular bike has some flaking/peeling chrome issues (front wheel, one floorboard insert, and the tip of the exhaust).  The problem is that this bike is 800 miles away and I haven't laid eyes on it yet.

I'm not terribly worried about the chrome, if the problems are limited to these areas.  The wheel will be the most serious, but it can be rechromed or a new custom wheel is not all THAT expensive.

Is there anything about these bikes that I need to be aware of?  Seems like I remember some starter problems on the 103 motors?  Any other problems that I need to be aware and watch out for?

Thanks in advance ...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: New to the forum, considering a 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:05:36 PM »

You've hit on the common problems that were found in these bikes ('04 SEEG's).... cam chain tensioners, chrome peeling.... other then those (IMO) you can't go wrong w/owning one of these bikes, and I wouldn't not own one because of those. There are plenty of us on this board that still own and enjoy the SEEG's ('04/'05) and wouldn't think about getting rid of them. I don't recall a wide spread problem w/the starters going out I've heard people complain about sometime hearing/getting kick back from them when starting. I've been wanting something to go wrong w/mine so I could pay the difference and upgrade to chrome while I still have the ESP. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »

With the exception of the cam chain tensioner issue, I believe you will find the '04/'05 SEEG's to be much more reliable than the stuff H-D is pawning off on consumers these days.  The chrome peeling issue seemed to be much worse in '04 than in '05, but as you noted you can always replace a wheel and footboard if the price of the bike is right.

I personally think the ratio's in the 5 speed box are better than the ratio's available on the Cruise Drive, especially 1st.  And unless you normally cruise at 80 mph and up, I don't see any real advantage to the 6th gear either.  The changes made by H-D with the new primary and the Cruise Drive weren't necessarily a step forward, IMHO.

If the price is right, I think you will be very happy with that "pumpkin".  :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:07:50 PM »

For $15,900 with 20K I don't think I can go wrong.

I hope not, because I think I'm going to do it.

I remember when I traded my perfectly good '05 Ultra for the '07 EG Classic, thinking that the motor was about the same as my '05 with a D&D 2 into 1 pipe, stage 1 breather and a PCIII tuned for economy.  THe 96 incher definitely runs hotter, and I never cared for the six speed transmission.  There is something else they did with the 6 speed that causes compensators to go out, $500 worth to get that fixed.  I also needed to add the cush drive hub that comes standard on '08 and new bikes.

All in all the best upgrade from the '05 to the '07 was the stereo with the MP3 player, I will miss that.

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »

Do Road King seats fit the FLHTCSE?  I'd like to get a Corbin Hollywood solo and dislike their new keylock mounting system, so I thought I would get a used seat from a Road King.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »

Do Road King seats fit the FLHTCSE?  I'd like to get a Corbin Hollywood solo and dislike their new keylock mounting system, so I thought I would get a used seat from a Road King.

Yep....    :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »

I look at the new bikes and still there is something in me that won't let me part with my 04 SEEG. It is so reliable,runs so good and I did put a Baker DD6 in it. That does make a nice difference at higher speeds and I am really glad I did it. I had a starter issue and that was easliy corrected when I installed a new one.  So of course I went for the chrome one. The chrome front wheel is an issue. I had mine rechromed and someday I will put it on when I need a new front tire again. I bought a new one and that is showing some pitting. You can't go wrong with Pumkin :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:02:45 AM by cvostu »

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »

Is this the correct chopped tourpak for a 2004 SEEG Orange & Black?

53213-04BKM

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '97-later Touring models. FLHXXX models require addition of Tour-Pak® Rack Kit P/N 54144-10. Not compatible with rear speakers.

Orange Pearl and Jet Black/Vivid Black

MSRP US $974.95

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 07:31:21 PM »

Is this the correct chopped tourpak for a 2004 SEEG Orange & Black?

53213-04BKM

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '97-later Touring models. FLHXXX models require addition of Tour-Pak® Rack Kit P/N 54144-10. Not compatible with rear speakers.

Orange Pearl and Jet Black/Vivid Black

MSRP US $974.95

That would be it. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »

I promise..  You will love that bike.   I have one as a spare ;)  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 01:34:21 AM by cvostu »

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 12:16:05 AM »

I'm thinking about solving the peeling chrome problem on the front wheel by switching to a set of wheels from a Road King Custom.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 01:34:51 AM »

spoke???? :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 01:46:25 AM »

The Road King Custom wheels are like street glide wheels, but are silver instead of black. Some of them are chrome.

Found a better pic ...

I am a big fan of the street glide wheels and have put them on my last two bikes ('05 Ultra and '07 EG Classic).  When HD went to the metric axle for the ABS brakes in '08, the wheel stayed the same but used different bearings.  I wonder if anyone has tried to put the 18 inch from wheel from the new Street Glide on a pre-2008 bike?  If the right bearings are available and the rotor spacing is the same, it should be doable.  I wish I could find someone who has tried it, I think a set of SG wheels with the stock sized 16 inch out back and the new 18 inch up front would look very sharp.

2011 street glide, note the taller front tire.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:13:01 AM by Warhawk »

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 02:25:59 AM »

oh    i was thinking   classic :confused5:

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »

The answer to the '09-'11 wheel fitment on an earlier bike is actually fairly simple.  There is an outfit on EBAY selling a wheel spacer and axle kit that allows you to bolt up the wheels that take a 25mm axle to an older bike that is made for a 1 inch axle. 

After a little further reasearch, the front wheel on a '10-'11 street glide is 18 x 3.5, which would make the front wheel half an inch wider than the rear wheel on the '04 FLHTCSE.  That makes it a no go for me.

The kits says ...

Let WILLY SHINY  show you how to put a 2010 Street Glide wheel on your 2008 and earlier Street Glide. These new 18 x 3.5 factory wheels look great on the earlier Street Glides And you won't beleive how much better your bike will handle with the new size tire and compound .  You must convert to the 25 mm front axle for these new wheels , 1'' bearings will not fit in them  - the good news is the fork legs are the same from 2000 - 2010, so the 25mm axle will fit . The rotor bolt pattern is the same - so you can run the earlier 11.5 rotors on these new wheels as well. No fender modifactions needed.

You can buy a new front from us or the dealer , purchase our wheel spacers and axles for these 2010 wheels (your old ones will not work) and exchange your rear factory 16 X 3 for one of our chrome ones with our chrome wheel exchange program . Our spacers hide the rotor bolts for a clean look and we buy our axles dirrect from '' ADJURE INC ''

If you have a 2008 with abs - no problem , we make the spacers for them too !

This sale is for the 25mm front axle and 25mm spacers only . We also carry 2000- 2007 axles and spacers , chrome and black powder coated finishes.

For more info on the swap give us a call at 1 877 662 9940
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 22 queries.