Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble  (Read 14512 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: High Speed Wobble
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2006, 10:48:09 PM »

[highlight]Wonder to what speed the MOCO would be held legally responsible for providing a stable/no wobble ride? [/highlight]
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »

i hit the freeway onramp today-long righthand sweeper at about 75 mph. the  [smiley=banana.gif] shook its head pretty good. got my attention!! anyone with any new ideas on this subject. its disheartening for those of us that have had it happen a few times. i do have the ride str8 and everything is in tip top shape. straightaways are not an issue [smiley=nixweiss.gif] :o

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2006, 09:47:11 AM »

i hit the freeway onramp today-long righthand sweeper at about 75 mph. the
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:59:17 AM by 04hd103 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

JCHAROS

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »

i agree completely i have had the neck bearing adjusted and i also travel at high rates of speed it seems that if the wind is blowing the wrong way the instabily gets worse, i orded ride straigh and and i hope thgere will be a difference , also is there a difference between the 06 and 05 front end does anyone know
A GOAL WITHOUT  A PLAN IS NOTHING BUT A DREAM

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2006, 10:12:55 AM »

i agree completely i have had the neck bearing adjusted and i also travel at high rates of speed it seems that if the wind is blowing the wrong way the instabily gets worse, i orded ride straigh and and i hope thgere will be a difference , also[highlight] is there a difference between the 06 and 05 front end does anyone know[/highlight]
JCHAROS,

The '04&'05 SEEGS had the Profile lowered suspension that Harley sells as an accessory, lowered one inch at both ends.  The forks had both legs set up with regular damper rods, as opposed to the one leg damper rods, other leg cartridge damper setup on a stock bike.  The '06 CUSE has the same forks as the standard Ultra, not the lowered version.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »

Go to this link and scroll down to Steering Stabilizer.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2006, 03:00:33 PM »

after the last wobble i decided to ck out the bike closely. tire psi ok but when i tried to grease steering neck bearings i pumped and pumped maybe fifty or sixty times before the gease came out at bottom and top. i did buy the special grease for this from hd. so obviously the neck had little or no grease in it! please check yours!! [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2006, 08:54:14 PM »

Vanamal-I found out the same thing about the lubing of the steering neck (about a month ago).  I bought HD's grease for the touring model, pumped about 10-12 pumps and nothing came out at either end of the neck.  I PM's HDdude and he said it was common to use a lot of grease-he said keep pumping.  I pumped nearly 3/4 of a tube of grease before the grease came out the upper and lower bearings.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2006, 12:23:32 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Boatman,
  You're gonna' have a mess to clean up!  First hot day it's parked, you're gonna' think your fork tube seals are leakin'!  You're bound to have a gob of grease around your bottom triple tree!  Look, my Brother, and govern yourself accordingly! ;)  Later-- HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »

My personal opinion is the front end is way too soft, look at the springs and and fluids.

Go back and read BLMs post.

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2006, 10:13:38 AM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, Boatman,

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2006, 04:02:49 PM »

After the 1st 10-12 pumps I emailed HD-Dude as I figured the same thing (pumping grease up to the handlebars).  He said keep pumping and I did.  Finally the grease came out between the frame neck and the upper and lower bearings at the same time.  I just had my outer fairing off to install the infamous oil temperature gauge and there was no grease where it shouldn't have been.  Like Vanamal, I used HD's grease.  The funny thing is a softail takes different grease than a touring.

HARLEYBILL

• Junior CVO Member
  • Vietnam Vet. 4th & 25th Infantry Divisions.
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2006, 10:08:40 PM »

MOBE:
I found that the "idle shake / vibration" increased when I installed the STR-8. The engine has less dance room because you've harnessed the rear wiggle room. If you disconnect it you will feel much less vibration at idle but the benefits (in my opinion) are worth it.
I've often wondered if the install hastens the breakdown of the front mount? I'm still ok on my factory mount but only have 9,000 miles.
2009 FLTR
H/D Tuner,V/H Monster Ovals
That's all you need brother!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2006, 11:03:43 PM »

Just curious, how many of the bikes with the shakes have fairing air deflectors mounted on them?  I was utterly surprised on my trip to Memphis land back ast weekend that on a nice, lightly traveled two-lane road I found while trying to avoid some weather, I was able to really wind the bike up (90+ mph) through some sweeping turns without much of a wobble at all.  The only difference in my bike from times before . . . . . . I had removed my fairing air deflectors, the ones that mount with the three thumbscrews on the inside bottom of the fairing, for the warmer weather we'd had here a couple weeks ago.

I wouldn't have believed that could make such a difference if I hadn't experienced it myself. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2006, 12:50:32 AM »

B...I took mine off (the lexan "wings" with the thumbscrews) yesterday before my ride of 80 miles.  I'm not experiencing a wobble, because I haven't run at those speeds yet due to break-in, but I could definitely tell a difference in how the wind blast effected the front end of the bike with those two little things off....seemed more aerodynamic, IMO.  I know the Ultra is different in some ways, but it did seem to make a difference.  Plus, it felt better on my knees too!!  The fork mounted fairing lets you know when you hit some turbulent air!  I can run my Ducati up to 120 with no problem other than side gusts.  
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 22 queries.