Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG  (Read 39582 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:05:48 AM »

After a recent trip that included hours and hours and miles and miles in the rain the red bike's horn became a bit anemic.  Figured if it was going to be replaced might as well make it something louder.  Trouble is I personally don't care for the looks of the trumpets on the most common air horns and nothing else seemed a good option (i.e., chit just wouldn't fit).

Elsewhere on the site someone mentioned something called the Stebel Mini Air Horn.  In its stock configuration you can't hide it anywhere on the bike.  You could hang it in the stock horn's location (like the new HD air horn mounts) and it even comes in a chrome model.  But it still isn't the greatest looking thing with the entire mechanism just hanging there on the side of the motor.

Two hours time, a Dremel, a few wire ties and voiding the warranty on a new horn later, however, you can mount this thing on a Touring model and have it all hidden.  One caveat though.  You probably can't do it with the stock cowbell horn cover.  I already had a cover I liked better from Kuryakyn.  It's physically a bit larger and shaped different.  With it you can make things work.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:55:52 AM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 02:06:43 AM »

First tear the horn apart.  It comes to you with the bellows and compressor as an assembly.  Separating them is as as simple as just pulling them apart.  Then, voila, two pieces.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:07:55 AM »

The bellows (seen here) needs to be trimmed a bit.  The tunnel (left side) that the compressor would normally be mounted inside of needs to be cut away with your Dremel.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »

Here it is cut back.  Trouble was that wasn't quite far enough.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:09:31 AM »

Here is what ends up having to be done.  Cut back completely to the main body of the horn.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »

Then the horn will tuck quite nicely inside the Kuryakyn horn cover.  There ended up being four areas of significant surface area for contact.  Used a good grade marine epoxy to install the horn inside the cover.

The only caveat to this install comes from the black baffle you see in the picture.  It sticks out far enough to touch the cylinders.  So the only "extra" parts you need for the job are the following:

A couple pieces of brass.  Tap the hole where the compressor originally plugged in to the compressor with an 1/8" pipe tap.  Then use a couple pieces of brass to turn the corner and give you a place to plug on the air line (1/4" fuel line works fine).

A length of 1/4" fuel line to run from the compressor to the horn (and a couple of hose clamps).

The other part you'll need is one 5/16" nut.  Unscrew the big rubber horn mount from the top motor mount.  Screw a nut on the back side of it to space it out a nut's width further from the motor.  Screw it back on the top motor mount and use your Loctite.  That will space the unit out far enough that the bellows clears the cylinder.

Please note: this is what was necessary with this horn cover.  If you use some other cover that happens to be big enough to hold the horn your spacing problems will be different.  Perhaps worse, perhaps not at all, but different.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 03:27:15 AM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 02:12:19 AM »

Then remount the horn cover and run a piece of 1/4" line from the horn to where the compressor will be installed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 02:18:03 AM »

The compressor will fit surprisingly easily in the cavity in front of the battery.  The minor wiring to complete the task included (for me) bringing the stock horn signal and ground wires back to the relay, taking main power to the relay and then taking power from the relay to the compressor.

You could have grounded the relay elsewhere.  But since one wire was coming back anyway it was just as simple to bring them both, shield them together, and tidy things up by making a harness out of the entire setup.  Fused between the battery and the relay.  The new horn relay is a very common very generic relay that can be had at just about any parts store for five bucks and it fits between the battery and the side of the frame.

With cruise control we don't have room under a side cover for any of this stuff.  We really don't have room anyplace.   This install may not be ideal for a variety of reason.  But it does at least allow the possibility of a really loud horn with minimal effort without hanging unsightly stuff in plain view.  If I liked the looks of the trumpets on the more common air horns that would have been a good option; perhaps better.  But since I don't like that look myself this got the job done.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 03:00:48 AM by twolanerider »

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:02:39 PM »

Great post, Don.  Thanks very much for taking the time to detail the modification.  This is something I am seriously considering doing.

Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 11:06:32 PM »

With very little work it can be made to fit under the cowbell. (ugly as it is!)LOL
Those caps just pop off and will give you the extra room you need to make it fit.I went to Auto Zone and got a pack of 5/16 plastic tee fittings, cut off one run and plugged it to make an "el" but I think I like Twolaneriders way better and may re-do mine.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 07:51:09 PM »

Twolanerider, that horn looks great [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  Can you tell us / me how much it cost?  Can give us / me the web site  [smiley=confused5.gif] in case somebody might want to purchase the same air horn that you put on your cherry!!

Ride Often - Ride Safe  [smiley=helmet.gif]
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 08:34:19 PM »

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AWI&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

They run like $40-$42, depending upon the model (chrome, black, etc.) plus shipping.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:36:27 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 09:33:12 PM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »

From PMs, email or phone calls I know that three or four of us are doing this little horn thing.  This one has been on a few days now so let me share a bit.

First off the good thing: it is nice and loud.  If you have to fire this thing in anger people in cages actually do hear it.

Next, the careful thing: When you route the air line be very sure it's not kinked even a little anyplace.  The horn gets kind of wimpy and whiney if it's not getting a full shot of air.

Last, the follow the directions thing:  The little minimal barely there spec sheet that comes with this thing said to use a 20 amp fuse to power the horn.  I could find zero power draw specs on the horn anyplace so opted for 15 initially just to see if going a bit lighter would suffice.  It blew.  

Double checked all the new harness made for the install.  All shielding untouched.  No terminal connector touching.  No problems to be found anyplace.  So stuck in a 20 amp fuse this time.  Now the horn just blows and blows and blows and blows.  If only 20 amp fuses had this effect on ev........... um; never mind.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 11:20:16 PM »

Now the horn just blows and blows and blows and blows.  If only 20 amp fuses had this effect on ev........... um; never mind.

LMAO!!! Life should always be so good!!  ;D ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.