Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Author Topic: Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG  (Read 39584 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG
« on: June 08, 2006, 02:05:48 AM »

After a recent trip that included hours and hours and miles and miles in the rain the red bike's horn became a bit anemic.  Figured if it was going to be replaced might as well make it something louder.  Trouble is I personally don't care for the looks of the trumpets on the most common air horns and nothing else seemed a good option (i.e., chit just wouldn't fit).

Elsewhere on the site someone mentioned something called the Stebel Mini Air Horn.  In its stock configuration you can't hide it anywhere on the bike.  You could hang it in the stock horn's location (like the new HD air horn mounts) and it even comes in a chrome model.  But it still isn't the greatest looking thing with the entire mechanism just hanging there on the side of the motor.

Two hours time, a Dremel, a few wire ties and voiding the warranty on a new horn later, however, you can mount this thing on a Touring model and have it all hidden.  One caveat though.  You probably can't do it with the stock cowbell horn cover.  I already had a cover I liked better from Kuryakyn.  It's physically a bit larger and shaped different.  With it you can make things work.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 02:55:52 AM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 02:06:43 AM »

First tear the horn apart.  It comes to you with the bellows and compressor as an assembly.  Separating them is as as simple as just pulling them apart.  Then, voila, two pieces.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 02:07:55 AM »

The bellows (seen here) needs to be trimmed a bit.  The tunnel (left side) that the compressor would normally be mounted inside of needs to be cut away with your Dremel.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:08:34 AM »

Here it is cut back.  Trouble was that wasn't quite far enough.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:09:31 AM »

Here is what ends up having to be done.  Cut back completely to the main body of the horn.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 02:11:01 AM »

Then the horn will tuck quite nicely inside the Kuryakyn horn cover.  There ended up being four areas of significant surface area for contact.  Used a good grade marine epoxy to install the horn inside the cover.

The only caveat to this install comes from the black baffle you see in the picture.  It sticks out far enough to touch the cylinders.  So the only "extra" parts you need for the job are the following:

A couple pieces of brass.  Tap the hole where the compressor originally plugged in to the compressor with an 1/8" pipe tap.  Then use a couple pieces of brass to turn the corner and give you a place to plug on the air line (1/4" fuel line works fine).

A length of 1/4" fuel line to run from the compressor to the horn (and a couple of hose clamps).

The other part you'll need is one 5/16" nut.  Unscrew the big rubber horn mount from the top motor mount.  Screw a nut on the back side of it to space it out a nut's width further from the motor.  Screw it back on the top motor mount and use your Loctite.  That will space the unit out far enough that the bellows clears the cylinder.

Please note: this is what was necessary with this horn cover.  If you use some other cover that happens to be big enough to hold the horn your spacing problems will be different.  Perhaps worse, perhaps not at all, but different.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 03:27:15 AM by twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 02:12:19 AM »

Then remount the horn cover and run a piece of 1/4" line from the horn to where the compressor will be installed.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 02:18:03 AM »

The compressor will fit surprisingly easily in the cavity in front of the battery.  The minor wiring to complete the task included (for me) bringing the stock horn signal and ground wires back to the relay, taking main power to the relay and then taking power from the relay to the compressor.

You could have grounded the relay elsewhere.  But since one wire was coming back anyway it was just as simple to bring them both, shield them together, and tidy things up by making a harness out of the entire setup.  Fused between the battery and the relay.  The new horn relay is a very common very generic relay that can be had at just about any parts store for five bucks and it fits between the battery and the side of the frame.

With cruise control we don't have room under a side cover for any of this stuff.  We really don't have room anyplace.   This install may not be ideal for a variety of reason.  But it does at least allow the possibility of a really loud horn with minimal effort without hanging unsightly stuff in plain view.  If I liked the looks of the trumpets on the more common air horns that would have been a good option; perhaps better.  But since I don't like that look myself this got the job done.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 03:00:48 AM by twolanerider »

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 12:02:39 PM »

Great post, Don.  Thanks very much for taking the time to detail the modification.  This is something I am seriously considering doing.

Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 11:06:32 PM »

With very little work it can be made to fit under the cowbell. (ugly as it is!)LOL
Those caps just pop off and will give you the extra room you need to make it fit.I went to Auto Zone and got a pack of 5/16 plastic tee fittings, cut off one run and plugged it to make an "el" but I think I like Twolaneriders way better and may re-do mine.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 07:51:09 PM »

Twolanerider, that horn looks great [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  Can you tell us / me how much it cost?  Can give us / me the web site  [smiley=confused5.gif] in case somebody might want to purchase the same air horn that you put on your cherry!!

Ride Often - Ride Safe  [smiley=helmet.gif]
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 08:34:19 PM »

http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AWI&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns

They run like $40-$42, depending upon the model (chrome, black, etc.) plus shipping.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:36:27 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 09:33:12 PM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »

From PMs, email or phone calls I know that three or four of us are doing this little horn thing.  This one has been on a few days now so let me share a bit.

First off the good thing: it is nice and loud.  If you have to fire this thing in anger people in cages actually do hear it.

Next, the careful thing: When you route the air line be very sure it's not kinked even a little anyplace.  The horn gets kind of wimpy and whiney if it's not getting a full shot of air.

Last, the follow the directions thing:  The little minimal barely there spec sheet that comes with this thing said to use a 20 amp fuse to power the horn.  I could find zero power draw specs on the horn anyplace so opted for 15 initially just to see if going a bit lighter would suffice.  It blew.  

Double checked all the new harness made for the install.  All shielding untouched.  No terminal connector touching.  No problems to be found anyplace.  So stuck in a 20 amp fuse this time.  Now the horn just blows and blows and blows and blows.  If only 20 amp fuses had this effect on ev........... um; never mind.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 11:20:16 PM »

Now the horn just blows and blows and blows and blows.  If only 20 amp fuses had this effect on ev........... um; never mind.

LMAO!!! Life should always be so good!!  ;D ;)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 07:24:27 AM »

......................................................Last, the follow the directions thing:  [highlight]The little minimal barely there spec sheet that comes with this thing said to use a 20 amp fuse to power the horn.  I could find zero power draw specs on the horn anyplace so opted for 15 initially just to see if going a bit lighter would suffice.  It blew.  [/highlight]
Double checked all the new harness made for the install.  All shielding untouched.  No terminal connector touching.  No problems to be found anyplace.  So stuck in a 20 amp fuse this time.  Now the horn just blows and blows and blows and blows.  If only 20 amp fuses had this effect on ev........... um; never mind.
The Stebel pulls 18 amps (max), so a 20 amp fuse would be the minimum.  Good idea to use 14 gauge wire also (short runs), or even 12 gauge if you plan to run everything up into the fairing, to minimize voltage drop.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »

The Stebel pulls 18 amps (max), so a 20 amp fuse would be the minimum.  Good idea to use 14 gauge wire also (short runs), or even 12 gauge if you plan to run everything up into the fairing, to minimize voltage drop.

Jerry

When I read their fuse spec I used 12 gauge on the feeds to and through the relay to the compressor.  It's only a very short run though.  Compressor is in the hole in front of the battery.  Maybe a foot of wire from the relay to it and less than that from the battery to the relay.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »

Twolanerider & CVOJOE, thanks for the link [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  I think this is something that I am going to do to add more sound to my wimpy stock horn!

Ride Safe - Enjoy Each Ride  [smiley=helmet.gif]
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »

If your looking at air horns, google BJ Air Horns, have used them for many years and have been very satisfied.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 04:19:37 PM by hotlineguy »
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 04:54:46 PM »

If your looking at air horns, google BJ Air Horns, have used them for many years and have been very satisfied.
I think the reason many of us are playing with the Stebel or Mini-Beast is that we don't like the look of the trumpets covering up the left side of the engine.  For those who like trumpets, there is another option I haven't seen mentioned before:  Grover air horns  http://www.groverairhorns.com/motorcycle/mcl.html  .  These things are modified heavy truck horns, with shorter trumpets to fit the available space, and a compressor with an air tank just like a truck.  No lag time with the air tank, and you can lean on the horns for a longer period without running out of air.  Rivco also has a nice looking set of horns, for those who like trumpets, similar to the BJ's.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 11:19:50 PM »

I think the reason many of us are playing with the Stebel or Mini-Beast is that we don't like the look of the trumpets

Precisely.  There are several very good well engineered air horn packages out there made specifically to hang on a bike.  Easy install and work well; if you happen to like the look of the trumpets.  Many of us do.  It's that I personally do not.  So.....  that meant finding a Plan B.  Fortunately this was an inexpensive and relatively easy such Plan.

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »

Just completed the install a la Don and O5Ultra.  I used the plastic version of the horn, instead of the metal one, and it was very easy to cut the tunnel pieces away with a die grinder/cut off tool.  A 90 degree 1/8 NPT X 1/4 carburetor nipple (from the hardware store) worked for the fitting on the horn end, and I used 1/4" vacuum tube for the connection.  The little relay they give you with the horn will fit onto one of the two ground stud posts under the seat iin the compartment in front of the battery with a bit of reaming on the relay hole.  Everything is zip tied in, including the horn piece under the OEM cowbell.  Plug the original horn leads into the plus and minus switch posts on the relay, and run an inline fuse (I used 25 amps) from the battery to the relay, and then a short lead from the relay to the compressor (all of which fit in the space under the seat in front of the battery), and you're done.  I used 14 gauge wire all around.  Didn't cut any original wires, and it would take me about 20 minutes to put it back to OEM.

The install looks completely stock (except for a very short run of hose visible at the horn mount to connect up to the horn), but sure makes a big difference when you push the horn button.
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 06:48:05 PM »

Does anybody know:  [highlight]Will the Stebel Mini Air Horns fit behind the stock chrome horn cover on the SEEG2 [smiley=confused5.gif]? [/highlight]

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 06:57:05 PM »

Does anybody know:  [highlight]Will the Stebel Mini Air Horns fit behind the stock chrome horn cover on the SEEG2 [smiley=confused5.gif]? [/highlight]
Look in this same thread reply #9

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 07:41:20 PM »

But if you did that you wouldn't be able to have one of these:  ;)
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 07:46:38 PM »

Only problem is I'd find myself dangerously looking down too often ;D

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 08:28:30 PM »

I can't run that horn anymore because she's the Honda Ridgeline spokesperson now.

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=4867
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 08:31:36 PM by Rjob749 »

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »

I can't run that horn anymore because she's the Honda Ridgeline spokesperson now.

http://www.cgchannel.com/news/viewfeature.jsp?newsid=4867
That's funny.  I like that ad almost as much as I like the Harley ad with the red bra on the bike out front of the house.  Also guess that she is working for Honda doesn't bother me too bad since I also have a Honda Ridgeline.  Have not put one on the Ridgeline since my wife would certianly see it for sure.  So far she has not seen it on the bike yet, and I will kill the first guy who points it out to her.  :)
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 08:45:13 PM »

Look in this same thread reply #9

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Thanks, Fired00d [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]!  I have been in Mexico [smiley=cool26.gif] for the last two weeks without my bike or a PC to check up on things.
I am still in the catch up mode.  

Ride Safe - Enjoy Each Ride  [smiley=helmet.gif]

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 02:58:34 PM »

Installed one of the Stebel ultra compact air horns on a SERK this weekend.  Holy S%!T this thing is LOOOOUUUD!  Put the horn behind the stock cowbell, the compressor underneath the seat, and ran a 5/16" fuel line hose between them.  A little aggravating to install, but well worth it IMO.  And...you can't even see it behind the cowbell.  Went on a ride, had a car full of young rowdy-type kids pull out in front of me, laid down on the horn and they ran completely off the road!  They musta thought a damn train had run off the tracks or something.  Laughed like hell all the way home...made my day.  Didn't even matter that my ass got soaked before I got home.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »

That's a great story, Scrm-R.  This is a good, inexpensive mod that might save a life at some point.  Plus it's a whole lotta fun waking people up who drive with their brains in neutral.
Jeff
Fremont, CA

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2006, 04:24:36 PM »

Did my air horn a while back and just got done with the horn cover.  Just wanted to get rid of the cow bell.  I used the airwing horn cover and added a timing cover to it for a little bling-bling factor.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2006, 04:25:54 PM »

and another..
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2006, 04:34:38 PM »

Did my air horn a while back and just got done with the horn cover.  Just wanted to get rid of the cow bell.  I used the airwing horn cover and added a timing cover to it for a little bling-bling factor.  Let's Roll
That looks GREAT!  Got more money in the cover than the horn, don'tcha?  :)

Garz
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »

Yep, that's a good lookin' horn cover.  Mine's not stock...it has flames sculpted out of it, with a burgundy wire mesh behind them, but it's still done using the stock cowbell...it matches my air cleaner cover.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »

That looks GREAT!  Got more money in the cover than the horn, don'tcha?  :)

Garz
Let me think, yeap!, but isn't that how it goes.  I upgraded the horn but it still looked shiity and it was time for a change.  So out came the wallet and cha-ching $$, not bad compare to some of the mass produce covers I liked and it wasn't that hard to put together.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2006, 04:51:41 PM »

Yep, that's a good lookin' horn cover.  Mine's not stock...it has flames sculpted out of it, with a burgundy wire mesh behind them, but it's still done using the stock cowbell...it matches my air cleaner cover.

[smiley=worthless.gif]

come on,  give us some more ideas
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2006, 04:55:32 PM »

That looks good Gabe.  Plenty of room to bury the horn and hide the air line too.  Really nice  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] .

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2006, 05:24:21 PM »

That looks good Gabe.  Plenty of room to bury the horn and hide the air line too.  Really nice  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] .
Don, it took me a while to get the cover that I liked, but got it done. Also I used 1/4" vacumm line, it was more user friendly.  Will see how it holds up as is not as tuff as fuel line.  So far so good.  Thanks for your help. Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »

[smiley=worthless.gif]

O.K., here's an idea for the horn cover
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2006, 06:18:47 PM »

[smiley=worthless.gif]

And...a primary inspection cover...That's it, I'm all out of ideas.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Hogfn

• Full CVO Member
  • FINALLY!!
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2006, 06:30:57 PM »

And...a primary inspection cover...That's it, I'm all out of ideas.

Who did your inspection cover?  Looks nice!
2014 SE
2005 Cherry SE
SE Air Cleaner
PC III
Freedom Exhaust and Pipes

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2006, 06:46:34 PM »

Thanks for information. I have the same cover, and had wondered if this horn would work with modified install that is suggested here. On second thought should I be thanking you for providing more ways for me to spend money? Hell yea!!! ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2006, 07:16:50 PM »

Who did your inspection cover?  Looks nice!
Thanks!...http://www.sanjoyengraving.comAlso, you can check out this thread for photos of more engraving that they did for me a while back.  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1147641653
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2006, 09:39:16 PM »

Scrm-r, very cool.  I had seen a few die cut like that just never pulled the trigger.  I like the mesh insert, takes it to the next level.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2006, 07:55:25 AM »

I replaced the stock horn with a Stebel Magnum TM80 Horn (136 db), but have the parts for the Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn. The electric version was just so easy; I had to try it first. I looking forward to hearing one of the air horns in Maggie Valley so that I will know what I am missing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 07:59:23 AM by johnb »
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2006, 02:15:50 PM »

I replaced the stock horn with a Stebel Magnum TM80 Horn (136 db), but have the parts for the Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn. The electric version was just so easy; I had to try it first. I looking forward to hearing one of the air horns in Maggie Valley so that I will know what I am missing.
Is this just a direct replacement for stock horn that is louder with nothing else to do (sounds like my kind of modification). Where can I get more information and purchase one of these from? I'll definitely have to check/compare this with one of the air horns at MV.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2006, 02:21:48 PM »

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Lets roll,
was browsing the great post on the air horn install, when saw your question?  Just another idea at;http://www.chromedomemotorcycleproducts.com/
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2006, 02:31:23 PM »

Is this just a direct replacement for stock horn that is louder with nothing else to do (sounds like my kind of modification). Where can I get more information and purchase one of these from? I'll definitely have to check/compare this with one of the air horns at MV.

Yes, it is a direct replacement. I installed it inside of an Air Wing horn cover so I am not sure it will fit inside the standard cover. The price is $22.00 so you cannot go to wrong:

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns
05 SE Fatboy

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 04:32:56 PM »

Yes, it is a direct replacement. I installed it inside of an Air Wing horn cover so I am not sure it will fit inside the standard cover. The price is $22.00 so you cannot go to wrong:

http://www.adventurersworkshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Stebel_Air_Horns
Excellent!! I have the Air Wing cover also. Thanks.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2006, 05:44:28 PM »

Excellent!! I have the Air Wing cover also. Thanks.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

OCD, OCD!!!! [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2006, 06:28:32 PM »

OCD, OCD!!!! [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif] [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Well I had to match the air cleaner cover. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2006, 01:11:15 AM »

Make sure you report back after you Maggie valley trip on your comparrison, very interested.  Have some friends that want to do the change but don't have the space we do to hide the compressor.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »

Make sure you report back after you Maggie valley trip on your comparrison, very interested.  Have some friends that want to do the change but don't have the space we do to hide the compressor.  Let's Roll

I sure will report back; the electric horn sounds much like the stock one just much louder. I am hoping the other version sounds more like a truck's air-horn. One place I have thought about putting the air-horn motor is under the battery box.

Additionally, I want to show Fired00d one slight modification I would do differently at Maggie Valley.
05 SE Fatboy

road dog

• Vendor
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2006, 02:43:32 AM »

Another bad a** horn cover from www.chromedomemotorycleproducts.com
Road Dog

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »

OK Guys,

I have that frustration monkey on my back right now  [smiley=furious.gif] and need some help.  I FINALLY got around to putting the Stebel horn solution together.  

It all went exactly as described and I had to get the wife to read to me the tiny schematic (I was warned).  Buttoned up the wires and hose and turned on the bike and hit the button....

NOTHING.

Well, not exactly, the relay clicks when you hit the horn button.  Otherwise just silence.

I checked all the connections and everything looks ok.  Anybody have any suggestions besides stop trying to do things I am unqualified to do.  :-[

While I wait for a bit of wisdom I am headed for a drink  [smiley=drink.gif]  or three.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2006, 08:09:20 PM »

If the relay clicks - you are part way there  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Make sure you are making a circuit from frame (ground/earth/-ve) through the horn compressor (observe polarity i.e. -ve to ground/frame, +ve to  output of relay) then make sure you have a good live (+ve) feed to the input side of the relay.

1. As a quick test, bridge out the relay and connect (briefly) a wire from the battery +ve terminal to the +ve terminal on the compressor

If the compressor spins, the relay or associated wiring is suspect.

If no go, double check the earth side and as a final test connect a wire direct from the Battery -ve to the -ve terminal on the compressor and repeat #1

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2006, 08:19:20 PM »

Bless you Dave!  Just finished my second beer  [smiley=drink.gif] so I'm ready to go out and give it a go.

(Crossed fingers)

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2006, 08:34:03 PM »

Bless you Dave!  Just finished my second beer  [smiley=drink.gif] so I'm ready to go out and give it a go.

(Crossed fingers)

Yeah  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] - that's what we need - brave guys, fuelled with alcohol,  [smiley=drink.gif]  [smiley=drink.gif] messing with electrics... ;)

Good Luck UPC - if it works - it was my idea

If it blows up - I don't know you - Har ;D

Cheers  [smiley=drink.gif]  [smiley=drink.gif]

Dave

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2006, 09:47:08 PM »

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  I think I just woke the neighbors! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Found a bad ground, replaced the connector and violla!!  And boy is it loud!

That horn mod was a great idea, other than the black hose, nothing looks amiss.  Can't wait to "wake up" my first cage! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thanks Dave, and just in time.  One more beer and I couldn't see red vs. black wires! [smiley=drink.gif], and now all is good!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2006, 10:27:41 PM »

Yeah  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] - that's what we need - brave guys, fuelled with alcohol,  [smiley=drink.gif]  [smiley=drink.gif] messing with electrics... ;)

If it blows up - I don't know you - Har ;D

There is a reason I so thoroughly enjoy most of the people here  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

UPC, glad it was a simple ground problem.  From your initial description it sounded like that's what you'd find.  But that second beer makes a heluva lot of difference sometimes!

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2006, 06:40:43 AM »

Thanks Twolane..

I am no electramagician, but I am not afraid to give about anything a go.  Thank goodness for all the ideas and solutions here.

Can't count the ideas I have used and the help I've received.

This is one great place!   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  I think I just woke the neighbors! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Found a bad ground, replaced the connector and violla!!  And boy is it loud!

That horn mod was a great idea, other than the black hose, nothing looks amiss.  Can't wait to "wake up" my first cage! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Thanks Dave, and just in time.  One more beer and I couldn't see red vs. black wires! [smiley=drink.gif], and now all is good!

Glad I could be of help

Cheers

Dave

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:54 AM »

[smiley=oops.gif]  What happened to the link for the horns??  It doesn't seem to work anymore?  Is there another location to order this horn??  I'll google it and see what comes back.   [smiley=nervous.gif]

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2007, 10:42:52 AM »

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Found one.  Seems when you do a search, lots of bike forums are loving this horn.
This vendor is including a wiring harness that includes the fuse harness, fittings and relay. $35

http://www.bikerhiway.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=74&zenid=472f1e5824033eaf7dbe5ab07246df3b

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  Found one.  Seems when you do a search, lots of bike forums are loving this horn.
This vendor is including a wiring harness that includes the fuse harness, fittings and relay. $35

http://www.bikerhiway.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=74&zenid=472f1e5824033eaf7dbe5ab07246df3b

You had to find something else, huh Tally? Who knows if this horn fits in the Chromedome Eagle horn Cover? ;) Hoist! 8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2007, 04:50:37 PM »

You had to find something else, huh Tally? Who knows if this horn fits in the Chromedome Eagle horn Cover? ;) Hoist! 8-)

It will not fit inside the stock cover, so I'll bet it won't fit the Eagle head since it's designed around the stock horn...

TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2007, 04:54:50 PM »

It will not fit inside the stock cover, so I'll bet it won't fit the Eagle head since it's designed around the stock horn...

Oh well, one less thing to buy and install. That eagle cover is sweeeet! That's staying. ;) Hoist! 8-)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2007, 05:07:54 PM »

Oh well, one less thing to buy and install. That eagle cover is sweeeet! That's staying. ;) Hoist! 8-)

We could probably figure out some kind of handlebar mount for you, Hoist... ;D ;D ;)

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2007, 08:23:35 PM »

Terry, go back to the first page of this thread.  One of the guys had put one under a stock cowbell.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2007, 11:36:06 PM »

Terry, go back to the first page of this thread.  One of the guys had put one under a stock cowbell.

Didn't see that, Don...their website says it won't fit, but like so many other things, it must be wrong... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2007, 12:30:21 AM »

Didn't see that, Don...their website says it won't fit, but like so many other things, it must be wrong... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Well hell, to use them at all we're already dismantling the assembly, cutting hunks of it off, mounting the one unit in a total of at least three different places and calling it an "easy" installation  ;D .  I'm not sure we're exactly what their website has in mind  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] .

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »

Well hell, to use them at all we're already dismantling the assembly, cutting hunks of it off, mounting the one unit in a total of at least three different places and calling it an "easy" installation  ;D .  I'm not sure we're exactly what their website has in mind  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] .

Where there is the will, there is generally a way...I should probably get in the habit of using my horn more often, but just don't...not even in the car.  Generally, it either pisses them off, or startles them into doing something even more stupid than they are already doing.  I do need to do it more often though...

TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2007, 10:35:56 AM »

Well, it sounds like it might or might not fit! For 35 bucks, maybe I'll give it a shot and see. Worst case scenario, I screw it up, toss it out, and put the original back. But maybe I'll wind up with a louder horn out of the deal! And yeah I know, I'll void the 2 Year Warranty on my factory horn! ;) Hoist! 8-)

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2007, 11:52:34 AM »

Well, it sounds like it might or might not fit!
With a little trimming, it WILL fit behind the stock horn cover.  I know...I did it ;)  Works great, and you can't see it.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2007, 11:58:34 AM »

When applying the epoxy to the covers, are you using the 5-minute epoxy that comes in the dual-cylinder syringe?  Or is it really Marine Epoxy, if so, was there a brand?
There is an awful lot of vibration on that horn from our engines.  No one's had any problem with the epoxy breaking free?

A group of us ordered 3 horns from bikerhiway.com  Looks like a busy Saturday, doing all three at once!!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2007, 12:07:07 PM »

With a little trimming, it WILL fit behind the stock horn cover.  I know...I did it ;)  Works great, and you can't see it.

Thanks SCRM-R, I'm looking to install it in the Chromedome sculpted Eagle cover I ordered, which accomodates a stock horn. I haven't received the new horn cover yet, so I'm not sure if there's more or less room than the stock horn cover. Anyone?

BTW SCRM-R, how's that 117" of yours doing? ;) Hoist! 8-)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 12:08:11 PM by Hoist »

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »

BTW SCRM-R, how's that 117" of yours doing? ;) Hoist! 8-)
It's doing great! I'll be trolling for rice rockets to race this weekend. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  I posted the dyno chart over in the Twin Cam section.
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »

When applying the epoxy to the covers, are you using the 5-minute epoxy that comes in the dual-cylinder syringe?  Or is it really Marine Epoxy, if so, was there a brand?
There is an awful lot of vibration on that horn from our engines.  No one's had any problem with the epoxy breaking free?
I'm not sure where you are talking about using epoxy.  The only part that I glued was the fitting into the horn to connect the hose to, and I used a product that works well on plastic...it's called Stix-All, made by Elmer's...use it on a lot of things...good chit.  I used real heavy duty zip ties to hold the horn into the cover...I've had it on for months now with no problems....and it is LOUD!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:44:47 PM by TallyKing »
   H-D Race Tuner
   RedShift 647 Cams

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

It's doing great! I'll be trolling for rice rockets to race this weekend. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  I posted the dyno chart over in the Twin Cam section.

I saw, great numbers man! You must be havin' a blast with that thing! ;D Have fun cooking the rice! ;) Hoist! 8-)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2007, 01:26:13 PM »

A group of us ordered 3 horns from bikerhiway.com  Looks like a busy Saturday, doing all three at once!!!

I used a marine grade epoxy adhesive.  In good thick dobs too.  To help absorb vibration.  Don't remember the brand name but it comes from the marina or marine shops.  Wicked stuff to work in most all environments (like the horn hopefully will).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 01:26:47 PM by twolanerider »

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2007, 06:15:59 PM »

I used real heavy duty zip ties to hold the horn into the cover...I've had it on for months now with no problems....and it is LOUD!

I also used zip ties and they wore through after a couple thousand miles.  Pulled up to a stop, heard a clanking noise and noticed that the horn was hanging by the hose. :o  Ended up zipping it back on as best I could for the trip home, it's tough to do on a hot engine.  When I got home I tied it in with wire and haven't had a problem in over 5K miles.  ;)

Jeevz

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:11 PM »

Has anyone tried stuffing the Stebel horn behind the batwing fairing [smiley=confused5.gif]
My o.e. horn fits behind there, it would be nice if the Stebel could be shoehorned in to fit.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2007, 09:44:59 PM »

Has anyone tried stuffing the Stebel horn behind the batwing fairing [smiley=confused5.gif]
My o.e. horn fits behind there, it would be nice if the Stebel could be shoehorned in to fit.

Uh..... Mark, man, I'm sorta; well, runnin' out of space inside there  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] .

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2007, 07:00:16 PM »

Uh..... Mark, man, I'm sorta; well, runnin' out of space inside there  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] .

You could always remove your Hawgwired amps & sell them to me for a used price [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2007, 01:50:02 AM »

Sorry for digging up an old post....
Does anyone have a source for these Stebel horns in Canada?
I am NOT spending $25 PLUS brokerage fees to buy a $35 horn that I am going to cut up before i use it....

Brad

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2007, 01:53:56 AM »

Sorry for digging up an old post....
Does anyone have a source for these Stebel horns in Canada?
I am NOT spending $25 PLUS brokerage fees to buy a $35 horn that I am going to cut up before i use it....Brad
No, but if you don't mind waiting till July, we can pick one up on this side of the border and bring it with us to Nelson.............................         

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2007, 03:26:57 AM »

You could always remove your Hawgwired amps & sell them to me for a used price [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Man oh man Mark, I had to have missed this post when it flew by the first time.  Would've been sputtering so bad wouldn't have survived to Valentine's day.  All kidding aside though you might set up an automatic search on eBay.  I bought a used set of them there three or four months ago that became an Christmas present for someone's Street Glide.  Got 'em for $215.00.

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2007, 09:15:50 PM »

No, but if you don't mind waiting till July, we can pick one up on this side of the border and bring it with us to Nelson.............................         

Thanks for the offer...
I just might take you up on that!!

Brad

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2007, 01:15:41 AM »

I know there have been lots of question on Don's glowing tutorial on the air horn installation, but seems alot of horn covers can't accomadate some of these, so having just seen this and the fact that you can keep your stock horn, has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3787
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2007, 03:45:24 AM »

I know there have been lots of question on Don's glowing tutorial on the air horn installation, but seems alot of horn covers can't accomadate some of these, so having just seen this and the fact that you can keep your stock horn, has anyone tried one of these?

John, I don't think it was in this thread.  But elsewhere someone had displayed what I think were those trumpets and a few others were discussed.

Bigger and louder sound can definitely be had going with some of the trumpet air horn options.  And (fortunately) some of the guys really like that look.  I just could never do the trumpet thing though.  Just not a look I could ever get my arms around. 

That leaves this Stebel beastie or something like that as one of the few moderately loud alternatives.  Fortunately it will fit inside the relatively inexpenisve Kuryakyn horn cover that I'm using.  Someone else also managed to mount one inside a stock cowbell horn cover.  So that's apparently an option also.  But if someone likes the look of trumpets they'll have several more options to choose from.  Gotta love options.....

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2007, 09:57:55 AM »

John, I don't think it was in this thread.  But elsewhere someone had displayed what I think were those trumpets and a few others were discussed.

Bigger and louder sound can definitely be had going with some of the trumpet air horn options.  And (fortunately) some of the guys really like that look.  I just could never do the trumpet thing though.  Just not a look I could ever get my arms around. 

That leaves this Stebel beastie or something like that as one of the few moderately loud alternatives.  Fortunately it will fit inside the relatively inexpenisve Kuryakyn horn cover that I'm using.  Someone else also managed to mount one inside a stock cowbell horn cover.  So that's apparently an option also.  But if someone likes the look of trumpets they'll have several more options to choose from.  Gotta love options.....
Don,
the kind of unique thing with these horns is they mount BEHIND the saddlebag, so they are stealth horns. I am not real hot on the ones mounted in normal horn location, but to get extra noise and not be seen was interesting? john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2007, 01:31:48 PM »

Don,
the kind of unique thing with these horns is they mount BEHIND the saddlebag, so they are stealth horns. I am not real hot on the ones mounted in normal horn location, but to get extra noise and not be seen was interesting? john

Interesting.  I've not seen them in person then.  Or if I have they were super stealthy and I never noticed.  Mount to a strut?  Will have to go to Kuryakyn's website and find the install PDF to see what goes where.  People always coming up with new stuff.......  :2vrolijk_21:

Hogfn

• Full CVO Member
  • FINALLY!!
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2007, 09:37:50 PM »

know there have been lots of question on Don's glowing tutorial on the air horn installation, but seems alot of horn covers can't accomadate some of these, so having just seen this and the fact that you can keep your stock horn, has anyone tried one of these?

I agree, has anyone installed these?  If not, who's going to be first?  If they really make an impressive sound, I'm all for them.  I too hate hiding the engine, especially since I too may eventually get it powder-coated and diamond cut.........
2014 SE
2005 Cherry SE
SE Air Cleaner
PC III
Freedom Exhaust and Pipes

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2007, 10:29:25 PM »

know there have been lots of question on Don's glowing tutorial on the air horn installation, but seems alot of horn covers can't accomadate some of these, so having just seen this and the fact that you can keep your stock horn, has anyone tried one of these?

I agree, has anyone installed these?  If not, who's going to be first?  If they really make an impressive sound, I'm all for them.  I too hate hiding the engine, especially since I too may eventually get it powder-coated and diamond cut.........

Hogfn,
was hoping to find kuryakyn display at rolling thunder and check them out. soon I see them and hear them will let you know if worth the effort, john
Rinehart TD
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Stage 1 SE AC

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2007, 09:09:06 AM »

At Thunder Beach 2 weeks ago the Kury rep said the horn would not be available for a couple of more months.  So several of us spent $$$$ on complete sets of front and rear LED's instead....wow...what a difference.

My concern about the location of the Kury horns is that with any vibration (and we do have vibration) the horns might hit the back of the saddle bags.
Hard to tell from just looking at the pics in the catalog.
 :cherry:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2007, 12:44:36 PM »

It would be a good way to wake up your passenger, that's for sure.  I looked at the installation instructions on line...looks like they'll fit back there without a problem.  Definitely an option to consider, as I've never cared at all for the trumpets covering up the motor.

TTS Mastertune

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2007, 02:50:54 PM »

Tbone and I saw a few bikes this weekend at the Killer Creek bash that had the HD air horn.  It looks alot better installed than it does in the catelog.  It's loud but not abnoxious. I think it is a good option.
 :cherry:

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »

Little help here please!

I was trying to put on a new horn and the instructions said to remove everything including the rubber mount from the original horn. (#100 on the attachment) I was to put an adapter plate in where the rubber mount was, and then use their rubber mount in a new location. Sounded easy enough.

Well the rubber mount has two studs coming out of either side (one per side) as in it is not a bolt running through. Well I grabbed the bolt on the side nearest me and turned/twisted that ... thing until it came off, that is to say the rubber and bolt I was holding came off, leaving a nearly flush plate seemingly welded to the Engine Strap/Horn Mount.

I haven't heard anyone complain about this yet, has anyone run across this? I have a piece of metal seemingly welded in place with a nub of a bolt peeking through the back side of the mount to the frame, a near impossibility to reach. So I have no horn, nor any way of mounting a new horn. Is there a magic trick to getting this last piece to release, or do I need to look at more industrial methods of removal for this?

I was looking at lifting the fuel tank and removing/replacing the Engine Strap/Horn Mount. Anyone able to vouch for this method? I am hoping that I can get to the bolts that hold the strap on by lifting the tank slightly and not completey removing it, as I have no idea how that is done.

Oh yeah, and I am leaving for MV on Wednesday morning, so any method I tackle I have to do quickly, or go without a horn for this trip.

Thanks for any/all help!

:pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »

Just guessing at what you have in front of but I bet it looks like a flat washer. Try center punching it and drilling an 1/8" hole just threw the washer. Then up the bit a step at a time till it breaks loose from the stud. Should be able to back the stud out then.
HTHs

fxstbharley2008

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »

Are the Stebel horns good?
I was looking at them yesterday online and all I saw was bad remarks about them!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »

I was looking at them yesterday online and all I saw was bad remarks about them!

What?  Like: not dependable as the stock HD horns?
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

Can only speak to mine.  It's worked flawlessly over three years.  Still nice and loud.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »

Mine also. I've never heard anything bad about it.

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:08 AM »

Just guessing at what you have in front of but I bet it looks like a flat washer. Try center punching it and drilling an 1/8" hole just threw the washer. Then up the bit a step at a time till it breaks loose from the stud. Should be able to back the stud out then.
HTHs

You got it... in the process of trying to free that puppy up, I came up with three new cuss werds that even Yosemite Sam didn't know...

:pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

iamtrker2

« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

Ok took my horn apart today and the horn part is plastic not metal like the others, any idea what i can do to attach the hose to the
horn. Can this be threaded like the metal one or does it need to be glued? If it can be threaded do i use the same size fittings as the metal one?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank's
Ernei

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2009, 03:17:25 AM »

Does anybody know the difference in sound between the TM Magnum horn and the airhorn ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2010, 12:17:46 AM »

Stock Cow Bell?

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »

Nope; Screamin' Air Bell!  Thanks to Don's idea!   :2vrolijk_21:

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8 [All]

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 21 queries.