Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG  (Read 39629 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Stebel Mini Air Horn--stock location on a SEEG
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2007, 03:45:24 AM »

I know there have been lots of question on Don's glowing tutorial on the air horn installation, but seems alot of horn covers can't accomadate some of these, so having just seen this and the fact that you can keep your stock horn, has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3787

John, I don't think it was in this thread.  But elsewhere someone had displayed what I think were those trumpets and a few others were discussed.

Bigger and louder sound can definitely be had going with some of the trumpet air horn options.  And (fortunately) some of the guys really like that look.  I just could never do the trumpet thing though.  Just not a look I could ever get my arms around. 

That leaves this Stebel beastie or something like that as one of the few moderately loud alternatives.  Fortunately it will fit inside the relatively inexpenisve Kuryakyn horn cover that I'm using.  Someone else also managed to mount one inside a stock cowbell horn cover.  So that's apparently an option also.  But if someone likes the look of trumpets they'll have several more options to choose from.  Gotta love options.....

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2007, 09:57:55 AM »

John, I don't think it was in this thread.  But elsewhere someone had displayed what I think were those trumpets and a few others were discussed.

Bigger and louder sound can definitely be had going with some of the trumpet air horn options.  And (fortunately) some of the guys really like that look.  I just could never do the trumpet thing though.  Just not a look I could ever get my arms around. 

That leaves this Stebel beastie or something like that as one of the few moderately loud alternatives.  Fortunately it will fit inside the relatively inexpenisve Kuryakyn horn cover that I'm using.  Someone else also managed to mount one inside a stock cowbell horn cover.  So that's apparently an option also.  But if someone likes the look of trumpets they'll have several more options to choose from.  Gotta love options.....
Don,
the kind of unique thing with these horns is they mount BEHIND the saddlebag, so they are stealth horns. I am not real hot on the ones mounted in normal horn location, but to get extra noise and not be seen was interesting? john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2007, 01:31:48 PM »

Don,
the kind of unique thing with these horns is they mount BEHIND the saddlebag, so they are stealth horns. I am not real hot on the ones mounted in normal horn location, but to get extra noise and not be seen was interesting? john

Interesting.  I've not seen them in person then.  Or if I have they were super stealthy and I never noticed.  Mount to a strut?  Will have to go to Kuryakyn's website and find the install PDF to see what goes where.  People always coming up with new stuff.......  :2vrolijk_21:

Hogfn

• Full CVO Member
  • FINALLY!!
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2007, 09:37:50 PM »

know there have been lots of question on Don's glowing tutorial on the air horn installation, but seems alot of horn covers can't accomadate some of these, so having just seen this and the fact that you can keep your stock horn, has anyone tried one of these?

I agree, has anyone installed these?  If not, who's going to be first?  If they really make an impressive sound, I'm all for them.  I too hate hiding the engine, especially since I too may eventually get it powder-coated and diamond cut.........
2014 SE
2005 Cherry SE
SE Air Cleaner
PC III
Freedom Exhaust and Pipes

HWYMAN1

• Basic 103
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2007, 10:29:25 PM »

know there have been lots of question on Don's glowing tutorial on the air horn installation, but seems alot of horn covers can't accomadate some of these, so having just seen this and the fact that you can keep your stock horn, has anyone tried one of these?

I agree, has anyone installed these?  If not, who's going to be first?  If they really make an impressive sound, I'm all for them.  I too hate hiding the engine, especially since I too may eventually get it powder-coated and diamond cut.........

Hogfn,
was hoping to find kuryakyn display at rolling thunder and check them out. soon I see them and hear them will let you know if worth the effort, john
Rinehart TD
103 with zipper 575 GD cams
Bitubo rear shocks
Baker DD6 transmission
Traxxion dynamics front end
Stage 1 SE AC

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2007, 09:09:06 AM »

At Thunder Beach 2 weeks ago the Kury rep said the horn would not be available for a couple of more months.  So several of us spent $$$$ on complete sets of front and rear LED's instead....wow...what a difference.

My concern about the location of the Kury horns is that with any vibration (and we do have vibration) the horns might hit the back of the saddle bags.
Hard to tell from just looking at the pics in the catalog.
 :cherry:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2007, 12:44:36 PM »

It would be a good way to wake up your passenger, that's for sure.  I looked at the installation instructions on line...looks like they'll fit back there without a problem.  Definitely an option to consider, as I've never cared at all for the trumpets covering up the motor.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2007, 02:50:54 PM »

Tbone and I saw a few bikes this weekend at the Killer Creek bash that had the HD air horn.  It looks alot better installed than it does in the catelog.  It's loud but not abnoxious. I think it is a good option.
 :cherry:

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »

Little help here please!

I was trying to put on a new horn and the instructions said to remove everything including the rubber mount from the original horn. (#100 on the attachment) I was to put an adapter plate in where the rubber mount was, and then use their rubber mount in a new location. Sounded easy enough.

Well the rubber mount has two studs coming out of either side (one per side) as in it is not a bolt running through. Well I grabbed the bolt on the side nearest me and turned/twisted that ... thing until it came off, that is to say the rubber and bolt I was holding came off, leaving a nearly flush plate seemingly welded to the Engine Strap/Horn Mount.

I haven't heard anyone complain about this yet, has anyone run across this? I have a piece of metal seemingly welded in place with a nub of a bolt peeking through the back side of the mount to the frame, a near impossibility to reach. So I have no horn, nor any way of mounting a new horn. Is there a magic trick to getting this last piece to release, or do I need to look at more industrial methods of removal for this?

I was looking at lifting the fuel tank and removing/replacing the Engine Strap/Horn Mount. Anyone able to vouch for this method? I am hoping that I can get to the bolts that hold the strap on by lifting the tank slightly and not completey removing it, as I have no idea how that is done.

Oh yeah, and I am leaving for MV on Wednesday morning, so any method I tackle I have to do quickly, or go without a horn for this trip.

Thanks for any/all help!

:pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »

Just guessing at what you have in front of but I bet it looks like a flat washer. Try center punching it and drilling an 1/8" hole just threw the washer. Then up the bit a step at a time till it breaks loose from the stud. Should be able to back the stud out then.
HTHs
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

fxstbharley2008

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »

Are the Stebel horns good?
I was looking at them yesterday online and all I saw was bad remarks about them!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »

I was looking at them yesterday online and all I saw was bad remarks about them!

What?  Like: not dependable as the stock HD horns?
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »

Can only speak to mine.  It's worked flawlessly over three years.  Still nice and loud.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »

Mine also. I've never heard anything bad about it.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2009, 07:48:08 AM »

Just guessing at what you have in front of but I bet it looks like a flat washer. Try center punching it and drilling an 1/8" hole just threw the washer. Then up the bit a step at a time till it breaks loose from the stud. Should be able to back the stud out then.
HTHs

You got it... in the process of trying to free that puppy up, I came up with three new cuss werds that even Yosemite Sam didn't know...

:pumpkin:
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.