Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: FLHTCSE Ride Report  (Read 16371 times)

liketoride

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
FLHTCSE Ride Report
« on: October 01, 2003, 11:32:04 AM »

Took the FLHTCSE for a 70 mile run last night afterwork.  Here are some early comments about the bike:

Being 6.4", the stock windshield is to low.  The air comes off the fairing funny and makes the sounds like when you only open the front windows of a car.  Being that high causes the radio to sound distorted.  When I leaned over a few inches, the sound went away and the radio sounded great.  Taller riders will probably need to go with a higher windshield.

The bike comes with a special owners manual.  The break-in speeds are a little higher.  The biggest thing it recommends is not to exceed 3500 rpms in any gear during the first 500 miles.  The book claims you can run up to 75mph in 5 gear during the first 500 miles.

I have never had a front fairing before.  Georgia nights have been fairly cool this week.  I was amazed at how little wind gets to my hands.  I wore opened fingered gloves and was comfortable even with the outside temperature at 60 degrees.

As handling goes, its the best Harley I have owned so far (this is my 4th bike).  It seems very stable at all speeds.  Feels like I could ride with no hands.  Corners very well.  Havent done any hairpins yet, but did some nice sweeping turns.  

This bike is almost a inch lower then most touring models.  I had to go over several speed bumps, it hasnt bottomed out yet.

Gas mileage seems a little higher too, which is suprising me.  I guess the larger engine doesnt have to work as hard.  I am at 130 miles and the guage still reads half a tank.  Will wait and see what actual mileage is when i have to fill up.

Sound - Actually for a stock Harley, its sounds pretty good.  When its idiling it sounds just like a bike with high performance pipes.  At higher speeds, it still has a nice sound but just kind of quite.  Not as quite as my friend's 03 ultra with stock pipes.

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
Re: FLHTCSE Ride Report
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 01:01:11 PM »

Great to hear your thoughts. I have one due in in three weeks so we can compare notes. I am right at 6'0 so it will be interesting to see how the wind hits me! Keep us posted on other thoughts and comments and I will do the same.

Biggmon

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 05:13:19 PM »

Ok I have sold everything. I have all my money together to purchase mine when it comes in. I ordered a orange one so I guess I will be waiting for awhile. I wonder if the orange one goes faster then the Black/Blue one, Ha Ha Ha.
Darren

liketoride

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 09:08:48 AM »

Ride Report #2:  70 Miles after work.

103 Cubic inch engine, Kickin Stereo System, rider's backrest, cruise control:  This bike was made to go on long rides.  Why in the hell would Harley put such a terrible seat on a $30,000 bike.  I am a fairly thin person, so I dont have much padding of my own on my back half.  I put 20,000 miles on my Road King stock seat.  After a few hundred miles, I would start to butt crawl.  But the seat on the FLHTCSE, my butt hurts after 10 miles.  If you are curious about what the seat will feel like.  Put a piece of plywood in your car seat and drive to work.  Thats about the same feeling.  I dont think I will even wait for the 1000 mile service to change this piece of sh##!

On the plus side, the riders back rest is awesome.  This is a feature every touring bike should have.  Once I replace the seat, having a backrest like this will make long (300 to 400) mile days a breeze.

If you enjoy music while you ride, you will love the stereo on this bad boy.  I road with a friend last night, he said it was pretty clear following me at 55 mph when I had it cranked up.  Once I raise my windshield height, I shouldnt have to crank it all the way up at high speeds.

Bike Color:  Starlight Black stands for "weird purple"  It looks great, but I dont know if Harley should have used the word black.  If you get this color scheme, I hope you enjoy washing your bike.  This color scheme shows every bit of dust and all water marks.  If you use S100 wax, make sure it doesnt have any smears.  That will show as well.  Those of you getting the orange and black probably wont have this problem.

Wheels:  The wheels on this bike are beautiful, but how in the hell do you clean them with dual breaks?  My Road King had stock wheels.  I never really worried about getting them to clean since they really cant be seen by the breaks and saddlebags.  But the chrome wheels on the FLHTCSE standout alot.  

Insurance:  Having the 103 caused my insurance rate to go up, but having the siren from hell reduces the rate so it kind of washes out in the end.  Progressive also gave me a discount for being a HOG member and for passing the Advance Riders course a year ago.  So when it was all over, my new insurance was actually cheaper then my Road King.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 10:16:28 AM »

i dont know if thats the same backrest that came on the 02 SERK, but i hated it. used it on the ride home from the dealers about 110 miles then took it off and havent used it since. the stingray seat isnt the most comfortable either. but i have survived days ridng between 300-500+ miles so i havent changed it yet, no plans to currently. i've tried to keep the original looks of the bike as best i can.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

liketoride

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 05:25:36 PM »

The bike is finally broke in.   [smiley=1syellow1.gif]  It has 630 miles on it and I am still in love.  

The power of the 103 is more then I expected.  Stock this bike does 90mph under 3500 rpms.  The passing power I was always lacking in my old road king is sure present in the FLHTCSE.

I love mountain riding and this bike makes the experience so much more enjoyable.  But, if you hate scraping floor boards, you may want to avoid really sharp turns or roads with hair pin turns.  Turns that my road king would take without scraping, the FLHTCSE drags the pavement just a little.  But I'll take the scraping in exchange for a much better handling bike and riding experience.  No one looks under the boards anyways.  After a few mountain trips, I should scrape off enough of the floorboards that I shouldnt hear it anymore anyways.  I am riding the dragon tale in a few weeks, that should sand down the bottom of the floorboards pretty good.

I installed a slightly taller windshield and what a huge difference it has made.  I dont eat  near as many bugs and my face isnt frozen when i depart first thing in the morning.  I can also hear the radio at 65mph without having to crank it up full blast.  I would definitely recommend this change to anyone over 6'2 buying this bike.

starvin

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 06:43:47 PM »

got up into the upper 40's today so we got to put on the first 100 miles, the bike feels great but seems to backfire some decelerating will have to gave this checked out. the pipes aren't quite as loud as i'd like but sound good and will still have to be carefull when theres cops around.  I really like the 9in. windshield i can still wear a baseball cap as long as its tight and see over the top. I like the stock seat but my wife was asking how long before the mustang seat arives so that will be the end of the stock seat.  otherwise the bike got alot of attention from other people and some laughs from some guys at a bar that just came in from golfing.  imagine that people golfing in 40 degree weather, they didn't understand why i was laughing at them?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 10:45:20 AM »

Liketoride can you tell me what windshield you went with?  Part #?  Is it tinted?

I'm 6'4" and I had already guessed the same problem.  I have already posted a question about the seat, too.  Has anybody put a Corbin seat on theirs?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2003, 09:50:04 AM »

1/2 way thru break-in
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 10:41:13 AM by ak »
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

SixtySeven

• Live to Ride, Ride to Eat.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 01:04:16 AM »

Yup, just found the same thread and visited Ebay to place the order. I also sent them an email to see if they can make the 9" in a dark tint. I think I could use the extra inch...

Thanks for the info!!! [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]
SixtySeven
04 FLHTCSEI
05 American Ironhorse Texas Chopper
01 FXSTDI

SixtySeven

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 01:07:52 AM »

LiketoRide or JCZ, did anyone ever answer the question on whether the 9" shield was tinted? I am 6'7" (hence the nickname from an old flame) and definitely would like to bump up the height. I added the SEEG  for a lot of reasons, one was to have a bike that I'm not eating as many bugs on as my BigDog. Unfortunately, with the stock shield, it's pretty much the same as riding without one.
SixtySeven
04 FLHTCSEI
01 FXSTDI

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 01:21:32 AM »

LiketoRide or JCZ, did anyone ever answer the question on whether the 9" shield was tinted? I am 6'7" (hence the nickname from an old flame) and definitely would like to bump up the height. I added the SEEG
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 09:06:02 AM »

I got an 8" dark tinted windshield from one of the threads on this board.
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 02:30:46 PM »

67 keep me posted on what you find out on the bigger, dark tinted shield.

Cabo I'm 6'4" and 225lbs. petite!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 02:36:03 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

SixtySeven

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 11:16:07 PM »

JCZ, will do. Sent the email last nite and was hoping for a response today but didn't get it. Will call them monday if no response tomorrow.
SixtySeven
04 FLHTCSEI
01 FXSTDI
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.