Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: LETS TALK EXHAUST  (Read 16086 times)

Dallas

• Junior CVO Member
LETS TALK EXHAUST
« on: September 08, 2004, 10:03:32 AM »

WHY DO SO MANY ON THIS BOARD GO WITH RINEHART?

FOR LOOK, QUALITY, AND DURABLITY I PREFER SCREAMIN EAGLE PRO PREFORMANCE
PIPES.

WHATS THE OPINION OF OTHERS?

Spook_103

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: LETS TALK EXHAUST
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 02:05:18 PM »

I had Rineharts on my 03 SERk.  Just my opinion but they are over priced, don't fit worth crap and are not good in the performance area.  The sound is good, looks are fine, but then so are a billion other pipes.  Just my .02.  Let the flaming begin.........  Spook.

SE-Dave

• Full CVO Member
  • "AWESOME"
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 02:38:46 PM »

There does seem to be a slant towards Rineharts here  [smiley=1syellow1.gif]However I like the looks of the Bassani Power Curve. I recently installed one on My SEEG and have favorable comments galore over it. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]. Right now I am still running my stock mufflers.  [smiley=confused5.gif] only cause I cant decide which to go with. I am leaning towards the S/E slip ons...... But the Power Curve Looks Awsome.
[smiley=beerchug.gif] dave

billt1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NH

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 05:18:21 PM »

I hear great things about the Rineharts. Personally I think when you remove the down pipe from the rear cylinder as with the Rineharts  it leaves a gapping hole. I prefer the visual symmetry of both header pipes coming down from the heads. I have Screaming Eagle performance slip-ons and get very positive comments from everyone I pass and the performance is stellar.

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 10:48:26 PM »

OK so here's my 2 pennies worth.  When I took delivery of my bike, '02 SERK I also looked at it as a high performance machine.  And as such I choose to put on a high perform exhaust system.  Now having said that just a few other comments;  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
I like my bikes deep and loud.  My '97 Ultra had Samson Rolled Thunders (A contender for the RK), wifes bike ('02 Fat Boy) has Samson Big Gun II Shorties, no baffels, and my RK is no slouch in the decible department.  I also like the look of no "Y" pipe on the rear jug and the open space that is presented.  This puts the engine in its own "frame" were it belongs, kind of like a shinning jewel. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Can you guess the exhaust, I choose to go with a Thunderheader 2-1 and have since added a PC III.  At the time I took delivery of my bike the Thunderheader was one of, in not the, best 2-1 system one could put on a high pro engine.  And I belive your quest may show that a 2-1 is still preffered for preformance even today.  I d not have a scanner and don't have a digital picture, but I do have a dyno sheet showing 98/99 FPT at 97HP.  Not to shabby for factory cams and no head work [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

So here's a pic and just my 2 pennies. [smiley=beerchug.gif]  BTW I'm the big goofy lookin one LOL
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 11:54:32 PM »

Another 2 cents worth.  For purely esthetic reasons I like duals on baggers.  It just looks "right."  I'll trade the minor performance difference for the appearance.  There are the "fake" dual options but then the left side and right side appearances differ and, oh  well, things like that just annoy me :)

I actually prefer the look with true dual pipes and w/o having the rear cylinders down tube also coming down to the right exhaust.  I figure if it's duals it ought to look like duals.  Of course that also makes cleaning up and/or detailing on top of the tranny and starter area and down the side easier to do as well.  The right side pipe is easier to take off if one is ever so inclined to work on something on that side of the engine or tranny.  And, again, to me it just looks right.

As for the mufflers themselves hear it's a cross purposed choice.  I have good faith in the years of experience of a local dyno tuner.  Good skills pass from his head to his fingers.  So his judgement goes a long way; so long as his recommendations are something I like to.  On the 88s that was never a problem.  He really liked the White Brothers E Series for the baggers.  I liked them too, and liked the "look" of them.  So my last couple of 88s have been Samson true duals and White Brothers slip ons.  With the high flow air kit and a Power Commander and with no work done in the motor the 88 in my RKC dyno'd at 79.8 hp and 83.8 fp torque.  So I was happy enough.

Having said all that, just because that had turned out to be a good combination on an otherwise stock 88 doesn't automatically mean it will be a good combination for the 103.  That is something I will be learning yet this fall :)

White Brothers is apparently getting out of the Harley market.  So at least I got the mufflers in time to still be able to get them to work with.

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 01:22:45 AM »

From a performance stand point, the Rineharts are not a good choice for the 103 motor.  There are a number of posts where they have been tried without good performance for this motor.  One of the members here, if I recall correctlty, even called the manufacturer who stated that the Rineharts were not made for the 103 motor.  Also, during my research I came accross a copy of Cycle World's HD Power & Performance in which they tested the Rineharts on s 103 motor and some of the statments from the article were "we came away disappointed by the results" of the Rineharts and "dyno performance, which was thoroughly unremarkable"

They had tested a number of other pipes (eight different) and stated that the Reinharts were at best "middle fo the road".  There are a number of strings on the board discussing all of this and the consensious is that the Rineharts may have pealk HP in some cases but not in the useable RPM range.  Additionally, if you look at some of the dyno results you will notice that the Rineharts actually cause a dip in torque in the useable range (2500 to 3800 RPM) meaning less power where most of us consitantly run.

The article in summary states that the Rineharts ar "medicocre in performance" and stated that for the 103 motor that they would go with the Screamin Eagle system.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 08:14:26 AM »

Still running the stock exhaust like the quiet on the long rides we take.  In fact I have stopped riding with some people that have pipe that are to loud,  after a couple of hours infront of or behind it makes my head hurt.  Also whats the point of loud pipes if you have to wear ear plugs.  Like the white bros 2 into1 on the road king we have.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 09:52:36 AM »

Still running the stock exhaust like the quiet on the long rides we take.
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 12:47:41 PM »

Just an opnion, but............. I'd tend to side with Glave on the exhaust issue.  I'm not a follower....never have been....so I've never tried the Rineharts.  Ran Thunderheader on my last three or four bikes and have been very pleased.

On an 89 Ultra Classic (head work, cam, air cleaner were only mods) I had the bike dynoed.  Then went from dual exhaust to the Thunderheader and just the exhaust made so much difference.......I couldn't believe that just an exhaust change out could make that much difference.  At that point, I could have become a salesman for Thunderheader.

On the SEEG, I decided to try something different and went with Vance & Hines Pro Pipe.  While it is a little quieter than the Thunderheader (which is something that I was after in my old age), it seemed like it didn't perform quite as well as the Thunderheader.  On this bike, with the mods being a SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Race Tuner and the Vance & Hines Pro Pipe my dyno sheet (posted on this site under the dyno thread) produced 101 horsepower and 104 lb. ft. of torque.  I can't help but think that with a Thunderheader, I'd have saw those numbers just a tad bit higher.

As a side note, read the latest issue of American Rider (probably the Oct. issue) magazine.  They have several articles and comments on the 103" motor and one pertains to the exhaust of dual vs. 2 into 1.  I've said it all along, if you want performance, go with the 2 into 1.  If you want the dual look, you can always go with the falsie left side like Thunderheader now produces.

Just my .02 worth guys.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cohibalator

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 02:14:13 PM »

I am getting my V&H 2-1 on tomorrow, pc III plus air cleaner so we'll see how that does...was going with the D&D 2-1 but the V&H came available first...
'05 SEEG back in the game!!!!!!!!
'04 ZX-10R FOR SALE
'02 BMW R1150GS
'01 BMW F650GS
'77 Honda GL1000 w/ Terraplane sidecar

Dallas

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 04:20:10 PM »

TO EACH HIS OWN

I FEEL A 2 INTO 1 EXHAUST IS NON-SYMETRICAL ON ANY BIKE.

IT LOOKS ESPECIALLY  ACKWARD AND UNATTRACTIVE  ON A BAGGER

Cohibalator

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 07:32:01 PM »

I guess it boils down to aesthestics vs. performance...for my money, I'm going with performance...don't really care what it looks like as long as it moves...I ain't gonna win any fashion shows and neither is my bike I guess!
'05 SEEG back in the game!!!!!!!!
'04 ZX-10R FOR SALE
'02 BMW R1150GS
'01 BMW F650GS
'77 Honda GL1000 w/ Terraplane sidecar

fitter48093

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 10:43:37 PM »

You should talk with V&H about that first,  They don't recommoned their pipe for the 103" motors  or a highly tuned 95" for that fact. They say it's only good to 85 H.P. with the race baffle .......just my 2 cents

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 01:49:09 AM »

GENTLEMAN START YOUR ENGINES [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT WANT PERFORMANCE PUT YOUR $$$$$ WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS [smiley=greedy.gif]  HOOK-UP & TOUCH EM OFF. THATS RIGHT !!!! COME RIGHT OUT OF THE HOLE FROM POINT A TO B WINNER TAKES ALL  [smiley=shocked2.gif] PLACE YOUR BETS [smiley=smoking.gif] 5 MINUTES TILL POST TIME [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=worthless.gif]
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 01:55:58 AM by gettinold »
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 24 queries.