Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear End noise  (Read 2023 times)

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Rear End noise
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »

I have a 2012 FLSTSE3 and I get a kind of whirring noise, like a low pitch howl from the back end. It comes and goes depending on speed. I thought it might just be the tightness of the new belt, but I noticed the chrome axle nut cover on the right side is positioned further to the rear than the matching axle cover on the other side.  I started wondering if the bike could have a bad rear wheel alignment from the factory, so I took it to the dealer.  They rode it and inspected it and said all was fine and that I could bring it in when they had more time to re-position the right axle cover.  Can anyone else say they hear any rear end noise and has anyone else noticed a difference in the position of their right vs left axle covers? Here is a photo of the right side axle cover....are not even with the end of the swinarm?

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
Re: Rear End noise
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »

The cover is held in place by a thin piece of tin in the shape of a horseshoe.  The bottom side goes under the nut and is held in place when the nut is tightened.   It is easy to get it out of line and hard to keep it in line.   Cheaply done, IMHO.   Have stripped the nuts of this "holder" twice, just trying to get thing off.

The whirring noise has been discussed before on this forum.   I don't think that it was ever fully decided what it is?????   Seems to be coming from the wheel "not bearings".   Lots of people have commented about the "harmonic hum".  It would be interesting to hear what you and others think it is.   :2vrolijk_21:

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »

My 2010 makes a whirring sound and has since it was new.  I thought it sounded like it was coming from the front wheel. i came in my driveway at a high rate of speed and shut the engine off so I could hear it better.  It sounds to me like it's from the front wheel not the rear.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:20:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies!...this is my first CVO bike but not my first Harley.  I bought it a month ago and have 1300 miles on it with no problems.  Just did the 1000 mile service myself.  I may re-position the axle cover my self.  Do you happen to know the sizes of the axle bolt and nut?  I know they are bigger than my 06 Softail Nightrain axle and I don`t have a socket big enough for them.  I`m relieved to know this noise is not unique to my ride.  It is from the *back* end though, and it is not brake related.  Thanks...

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »

Sounds like your belt is too tight.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »

The noise comes from the brake pads riding over the holes in the disks, at least thats what I have determined.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:27:30 AM »

The noise does not change when I hit the brake though.  I`m wondering if it could just be a harmonic set up by the design of the wheel and fender.  Those beautiful rear wheels have the openings in the "spokes".  My belt is tensioned to service manual spec, but I have heard that if you tension the belt according to the spec, it will howl some....

dflanagan2012

• IA

• CVO1: 2013 ultra classic cvo 110
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »

My bike makes the same noise, I was told it is normal, same with all the engine noises, (ticking, rattling, clanging) after installing a set of v&h bigshot staggered pipes I don't hear any of those noises I was so worried about. after 3500 mile and no problems I have decided to quit listening for all the odd noises and ride it like I stole it! ;D

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »

Dang, that's a smart man.  they say the loudest noise in the world is the first squeek on a brand new bike!  ha!

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »

Both my 05 Road King and my 08 Ultra SE3 and now my Softail CVO have the same strange noise, it's in the belt shifting up against the sides of the rear belt sprocket.  Doesn't do it all the time, but occurs when it's hot, and decelerating in a turn.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:37:28 PM »

I`ve noticed also that if you run your finger around the inside edge of the sprocket, there are some pretty rough and sharp feeling spots.  I`d like to know if the belt riding on the edges could be causing the noise.  In the meantime I`m relieved I`m not the only one with this noise, and that it doesn`t seem to indicate a problem.... I`ll just turn up the music!!  I really love this new bike...my last ride was a 2006 Softail Nightrain.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 22 queries.