Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Watch out Harley here comes Indian  (Read 5825 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Watch out Harley here comes Indian
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2019, 05:45:31 PM »

My guess is tires - speed rating.
Why wouldn't they install tires with higher speed ratings, like those on the K1600? Could it be that Indian went with tire tread life over a higher speed limiter? They claim Metzler (sp?) designed a tire just for this bike.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Watch out Harley here comes Indian
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »

I’ve done 110 on a bike before, and that’s fast enough for me, what’s another 2mph anyways. I’m pretty much fine cruising between 85 - 90.
Anyway I’m sure Dynojet will come out with a Powervision for it
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:00:17 PM by lyn.husen »

mark

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 07:06:09 PM »

Speed limiters...this is where engineering and lawyers collide.  By comparison, BMW's K1600 Grand America has a limiter set at 101.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »

Speed limiters...this is where engineering and lawyers collide.  By comparison, BMW's K1600 Grand America has a limiter set at 101.
Yes, the BMW K1600B or Bagger is limited at 135 MPH. The difference being the top case or tour pak. The BMW Bagger is most like the new Challenger, no top case. Just a lot more HP.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »

The 18 and 19 CVO 117 are speed limited to 115 mph. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 09:25:32 PM »

The 18 and 19 CVO 117 are speed limited to 115 mph.
Wonder what the speed rating is on the 117 CVO? Do many owners remove the speed limiters? It's not that many wish to ride at those speeds, it's more about passing. Say your on a long straight stretch of road passing a 18 wheeler that's doing 85, you want to pass quickly and do so without concern of hitting a limiter. I mentioned this because I've been there.

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »

I used the powervision to raise/remove the speed limiter on my 2017 Streetglide SE. but, the speedometer only has up to 120 mph on the dial.  My sphincter speed limiter is good with 120mph or less anyways. I start to think of everything that could go wrong. A car pulls out from a side road, a deer runs out, a car passing as they crest a hill and they are in MY lane ( experienced that one already) and engine blowing up and locking up. And any of the aforementioned listed things make me remember that at nearly 60 years old, I do not "bounce" like I used to. But not ready to give up riding, below 120 mph that is, just yet.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »

I used the powervision to raise/remove the speed limiter on my 2017 Streetglide SE. but, the speedometer only has up to 120 mph on the dial.  My sphincter speed limiter is good with 120mph or less anyways. I start to think of everything that could go wrong. A car pulls out from a side road, a deer runs out, a car passing as they crest a hill and they are in MY lane ( experienced that one already) and engine blowing up and locking up. And any of the aforementioned listed things make me remember that at nearly 60 years old, I do not "bounce" like I used to. But not ready to give up riding, below 120 mph that is, just yet.
I'm with ya, 68+ myself. Think what you did makes sense. Engine should not blow so long as your not near red line. Speed doesn't matter so long as you pass quickly and stay below red line. Ride safe and enjoy!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 03:08:56 PM »

Why wouldn't they install tires with higher speed ratings, like those on the K1600? Could it be that Indian went with tire tread life over a higher speed limiter? They claim Metzler (sp?) designed a tire just for this bike.

Equipment safe operating limits, wind tunnel tests , & several other reasons - safety - as to why speed is limited & tires was just my first guess.  Our society loves to litigate, and if a bike has no upper speed limiter, but has equipment (tires, etc.) that do not allow for "safe" operation at that speed limit, then the lawyers could litigate when there is an accident.  Off road.  I could be wrong, but years ago the only thing I remember that had a speed limiter was a governor on our lawn mower.  Nowadays cars that will perform - I have had a few - are speed limited as well.  In the 60s & 70s no such thing that I recall but we did blow up a few motors.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 03:14:48 PM »

Equipment safe operating limits, wind tunnel tests , & several other reasons - safety - as to why speed is limited & tires was just my first guess.  Our society loves to litigate, and if a bike has no upper speed limiter, but has equipment (tires, etc.) that do not allow for "safe" operation at that speed limit, then the lawyers could litigate when there is an accident.  Off road.  I could be wrong, but years ago the only thing I remember that had a speed limiter was a governor on our lawn mower.  Nowadays cars that will perform - I have had a few - are speed limited as well.  In the 60s & 70s no such thing that I recall but we did blow up a few motors.

Boy, ain't dat the troof... >:(

Off the subject a bit but was at Seafood Silver's Long John Shop getting something for Vickie's lunch and saw a sign on the drive-thru window informing folks that fish and shelfish were cooked inside and that there may be a chance your food could come in contact with those items...well, duh...lawyers run this country.

Sorry for the side bar but it's iski's fault as his post reminded me of it.  So, sue him... :huepfenlol2:

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »

Not all American cars that will perform have speed limiters.  My 14 Stingray had not speed limiter, other than me.  My 18 Grand Sport has no speed limiter.  However both these cars came with warnings that the tires are not good below 40 degrees out.  They are speed rated summer only tires.  The 19 ZR1 out of the factory will run 212 mph. 

Tires is the biggest reason for limiting speeds.  Not sure what the Dunlop American elites on my CVO King or my CVO Road glide are rated for.  I know my build king will run a lot faster than the road glide will, as its governed to 115 mph, my king is not.  That said its rare either bike is over 100mph.  The king does get run up to 100 as quick as possible and then shut down frequently. 

I have had 14 and 18 covettes over 150, but that was on a track.  Stuff happens really fast at those speeds.  The would be no time to react on a public street.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2019, 11:36:40 PM »

Boy, ain't dat the troof... >:(

Off the subject a bit but was at Seafood Silver's Long John Shop getting something for Vickie's lunch and saw a sign on the drive-thru window informing folks that fish and shelfish were cooked inside and that there may be a chance your food could come in contact with those items...well, duh...lawyers run this country.

Sorry for the side bar but it's iski's fault as his post reminded me of it.  So, sue him... :huepfenlol2:

;D ;D

TV lawyers - "Do you have _________________?  If you do, we will sue, and you will get rich, rich, RICH!"  We live in a society of lawsuit happy idiots.  TV lawyers added to that exponentially.  Insurance costs increased exponentially as a result. My grandkids grew up with lousy public park playground equipment compared to what I had, lots & lots of other examples.   Rest of rant - iski shakes his fist at the sky & yells, nobody listens.  Except my neighbor, who sues me for disturbing his peace. 

I may have been exposed to too many tree nuts, since the packaging equipment comes into contact with them.   :o

;D ;D
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.