Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Cruise Control Disengage (Front Brake)  (Read 13162 times)

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
Cruise Control Disengage (Front Brake)
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:13:34 PM »

Anyone else having an issue with the cruise control disengaging using the front brake lever?  Quite a few times now I have squeezed the front brake lever to turn off the cruise and the pressure is enough to lunge the bike (braking) but when I release the cruise is still active and I speed up again.  No problem if I squeeze the lever for 2+ seconds....but it used to turn off with just a "flick" of the brake.  I brought it to my dealers attention and (of course) they couldn't "replicate the issue" (I'm pretty sure that is mechanic talk for 'I don't want to deal with it').

Anyone else have this problem?
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Re: Cruise Control Disengage (Front Brake)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »

Yes. I have noticed this as well and stopped relying on the brake to turn off the cruise as you would expect. I like to use the cruise only when there is very light traffic and the need to brake is hopefully reduced. Still it's not an excuse and it should work as well as it does in my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:04:25 PM »

Have you had someone watch to see if the brake light is illuminating all the time when the front lever is being pulled?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »

Honestly have never tired to shut cruise off using front brake unless it was a panic type slow down or stop.  Usually when using cruise if I need it off due to approaching slower traffic I just roll the throttle forward and cruise shuts off, then position throttle where I need it.

Sounds like the issue might be with the front brake switch though.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »

I use the cruise, constantly on every ride. I always hit front brake to cancel as I hardly ever use the rear brake unless panic stop. Never had a problem on any of the bikes over the years with touch of frt brake lever not kicking it off. Make dealer due elec pin-point test on circuit. Complain it is a safety issue, complain loudly.

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »

I have also ran into this problem on occasion but I'm not sure why it does it sometimes it seems to work I just use my rear brake and it seems to work better. Maybe harley will recall it eventually lol.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »

My Tech said that it is a delay to the brake module. But I have found that it is easier to use the throttle as you do not give off a brake light and alert others . Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 05:42:28 PM »

My Tech said that it is a delay to the brake module. But I have found that it is easier to use the throttle as you do not give off a brake light and alert others . Billy

I seriously doubt that.  Is there also a delay for the brake lights to come on?  The speed of the electrons in that circuit is astonishingly fast, and the cruise on the late model bikes is handled by the ECM and the Electronic Throttle Control.  Both of those have very fast response times as well.

I've always personally preferred tapping the front brake, but to each their own.  At least you have multiple choices for disengagement, from turning off the switch, using either brake, rolling the throttle back, or pulling the clutch lever.  If all of those fail, throw out the optional H-D brand anchor and hold on.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »

I've always personally preferred tapping the front brake, but to each their own.  At least you have multiple choices for disengagement, from turning off the switch, using either brake, rolling the throttle back, or pulling the clutch lever.  If all of those fail, throw out the optional H-D brand anchor and hold on.   Jerry

I always tap the front brake as well and have had no issues.  But, I am curious Jerry...which H-D anchor do you recommend...painted or chrome and what length of chain should one consider?   
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 07:43:21 PM »

Come on now, you know it wouldn't be an official H-D anchor unless it was chromed (most likely cheap Chinese chrome of course). ;)  I think about 50 feet of official Harley chain should do the trick.  A pair of official Harley branded Depends might also be a good idea.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BritGuy

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »

Just read this thread, had to laugh at the anchor and chain! Seriously, I have the same 2014 model hibernating at the moment, but anything to do with cruise not working is a worry. Harleychief2011, has the problem been identified and fixed yet? Particularly worrying as Jerry said, everything is controlled by the ECU  and if HAL has invaded the cruise control, what else may or may not stop working without any warning?

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »

I have a 2013 never had this problem. Always tap the front brake to release the cruise. Get it fixed. In an emergency stop you don't want to be thinking about this instead of the problem at hand.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »

Mine is still working ok, well it was last weekend. Take it to the dealer the bike must still be under warrenty

harleychef2011

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 Road King - Tribal Orange & Galactic Black
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »

Thanks for all the replies everyone!  Sorry its been awhile...slammed with work and then got into a major (60mph) accident on Monday.  Totaled the car...would have been dead on the bike!  Any other day I would have been on my motorcycle but decided to take the car because we just drove in from San Diego (400 miles) that morning!

I didnt even know you could disengage the cruise by rolling forward!  That is why I love this forum! 

Definitely going to have it checked again during my next service!  Maybe I'll hit them up for one of those chrome anchors!  LOL!
2014 CVO Road King
V&H Power Duals
V&H Carbon Fiber Tip Pipes
HD Super Tuner & Dyno - 98.7 HP 112.9TQ
RoadTech 665 GPS
Mucho HD Add-Ons!!!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 08:11:03 PM »

Thanks for all the replies everyone!  Sorry its been awhile...slammed with work and then got into a major (60mph) accident on Monday.  Totaled the car...would have been dead on the bike!  Any other day I would have been on my motorcycle but decided to take the car because we just drove in from San Diego (400 miles) that morning!

I didnt even know you could disengage the cruise by rolling forward!  That is why I love this forum! 

Definitely going to have it checked again during my next service!  Maybe I'll hit them up for one of those chrome anchors!  LOL!

Glad you were in the car, not the bike.  Sorry you were in a accident.

For me, rolling it forward is the way I do it 90% of the time.  When I am on cruise, I usually do not need to stop, or even slow down quickly.  I just need to coast down a bit due to traffic. 

That said front brake should disengage it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.