Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: First Annual SERG Dyno Challenge  (Read 8036 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: First Annual SERG Dyno Challenge
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »

Don,

Took the glide in today for some misc stuff and was talking Rob the  tech at NTHD that does all my work, told him I thought mine was kind of a turd and hoped the tune up would take care of it, then I told him it was a Califonia bike....He remembers working on one that had different cams  for CA....not the 203's.. along with a different download which I expected. Have you or anyone else heard of this??? He's pulling it down for tensioners and I'm going back with 204's .. Keep you posted.. if that's the case that may explain some that are a little puny....Greg

Not a clue Greg.  These 95's were so few and far between back in 2000/2001 that they were variation all by themselves.  Even slighter variations for California emissions differences within them I've never heard of.  But the quantity of them would have been so small it's not as if there'd have been that many to talk about.

Until proven otherwise it's as good a theory as any though.  Good luck on seeing it come to life.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 02:06:34 PM »

All SERGS are not created equal!  Met the Goldens on Saturday- great people.  Don and Chip have nothing to worry about.  My peak numbers were 83hp and 88tq- almost exactly the same as my numbers at the Harley shop in Corinth with the generic map from FuelMoto.  The A/F numbers look much better however.  I can't explain the low numbers- I guess I got the runt of the litter..  On a more depressing note, on the way back to Texas I noted that the bike pings badly over 3,500 rpms to redline from about 75% throttle to full throttle.  I would have thought this would be impossible with the air/fuel ratio right around 13:1 in those throttle settings. Any input concerning what could be wrong with my motor would be greatly appreciated- surely the SuperTrapp exhaust does not do that poorly compared with the FatCat or the ProPipe... ANYWAY-  Sandy said she would send Don the graph with all three bikes if someone could remind her of Chip's last name so she could locate his dyno chart.  Don- maybe we could hook up on the way to Joplin if I have to get some remapping done...

Robert, I've only got one known data point for SuperTrapps on a 95.  At least one that I'm familiar with and saw myself enough to be comfortable I knew what happened.

That bike with stock cams never ran well.  He messed with it for most of a year.  Different exhaust and a retune and it was a much better behaving machine.  One data point is by no means enough to preach from.  But for what it's worth in that one case it proved to be a poor combination.

I'll check with Sandy and try to get the comparative dyno sheet for you.  Might be a few days.  Come to think of it I don't even know of they're home or still on the road.  But I'll get it from them sometime.

RobertinArgyle

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »

Talked with Sandy this last Monday.  I gave her both of Chip's last names (Chithead, McKenzie) so I imagine she will find the blue SERG's dyno sheet one way or another...  She said she would email Chip or Don with all three curves on one printout (I figured one of ya'll would be able to post much easier than I could).  Sandy was very gracious about my pinging problem and will be sending me another map in a couple of days.  I'm confident she will be able to get me a map that doesn't ping.  The issue remains why I am down 10 hp and 10 tq from Don's and Chip's bikes.  It is really not a "mine is bigger than yours" thing- I am just wondering what may be wrong with my motor.  That is too large of a gap for production tolerances and/or differences between 2:1 pipes.  Should I just start with the basics and have a mechanic check compression, leakdown etc?   Maybe when we can see all three curves someone will have some ideas...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 06:21:36 PM »

Talked with Sandy this last Monday.  I gave her both of Chip's last names (Chithead, McKenzie) so I imagine she will find the blue SERG's dyno sheet one way or another...  She said she would email Chip or Don with all three curves on one printout (I figured one of ya'll would be able to post much easier than I could).  Sandy was very gracious about my pinging problem and will be sending me another map in a couple of days.  I'm confident she will be able to get me a map that doesn't ping.  The issue remains why I am down 10 hp and 10 tq from Don's and Chip's bikes.  It is really not a "mine is bigger than yours" thing- I am just wondering what may be wrong with my motor.  That is too large of a gap for production tolerances and/or differences between 2:1 pipes.  Should I just start with the basics and have a mechanic check compression, leakdown etc?   Maybe when we can see all three curves someone will have some ideas...

It is a roughly 10% difference across the board.  I'd certainly start with checking things that could be checked without buying parts first though.  No sense in spending money for experimentation when it can still be avoided.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 09:44:49 AM »

Not a clue Greg.  These 95's were so few and far between back in 2000/2001 that they were variation all by themselves.  Even slighter variations for California emissions differences within them I've never heard of.  But the quantity of them would have been so small it's not as if there'd have been that many to talk about.

Until proven otherwise it's as good a theory as any though.  Good luck on seeing it come to life.

Just got it pulled down, It does in fact have 203's in it, but the tensioners are junk, 19,000 Miles, SO ...Going back with 204's , Send it over to Ed for good Direct Link Tune up and we'll see....   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 09:58:11 AM »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »

Just got it pulled down, It does in fact have 203's in it, but the tensioners are junk, 19,000 Miles, SO ...Going back with 204's , Send it over to Ed for good Direct Link Tune up and we'll see....   

Praise to the Travel Gods for catching tensioners before they were gone far enough to do damage.  If nothing else is gained that is worth catchng.  Over the winter I'm going to gears just because I don't even want to have to think about them.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 12:43:42 PM »

If the tensioners are junk - as long as you have it apart - take a look at your oil pump and make sure not to much trash went thru it.  Now would be the time to replace or upgrade it if it needs it...  Was the oil pressure good before you pulled it apart?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »

:zthread: :confused5:

Unless ya'll all comparing things on the same Dyno, calibrated exactly the same, and run by the same guy, I don't see how youze are comparing anything of any relevance rendering this challange useless! :nixweiss:

But it's entertaining and funny to read! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »

same Dyno, calibrated exactly the same, and run by the same guy,

What happens when you jump into a thread, read very little, then proceed to post an answer?

Well the answer is obvious.

But everyone knew that anyway!

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

But I guess when you jump in to make a rash comment, spell check isn't an option either!
 :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »

HeHe! ;D

How'd I know? Like a book! ::) ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 03:46:40 PM »

If the tensioners are junk - as long as you have it apart - take a look at your oil pump and make sure not to much trash went thru it.  Now would be the time to replace or upgrade it if it needs it...  Was the oil pressure good before you pulled it apart?

I just looked at it no pics yet, the '99 & 2000 had the 1st gen Tensioners that were junk, Pump looks good, changing out all the bearings too,, 99-2000 had piss poor bearings. Damn I'm glad we had a look!! updating it with new stuff and 204's...good ole  extended warranty....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »

I just looked at it no pics yet, the '99 & 2000 had the 1st gen Tensioners that were junk, Pump looks good, changing out all the bearings too,, 99-2000 had piss poor bearings. Damn I'm glad we had a look!! updating it with new stuff and 204's...good ole  extended warranty....Greg

Greg

Glad you got it taken care of before there was an issue!
More money, more money, that will take care of it.
With all the bikes you have, you have to be insurance poor!

:nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »

:zthread: :confused5:

Unless ya'll all comparing things on the same Dyno,

That was the unusual and interesting part of this exercise Howie.  It really was three bikes from three different parts of the country all on the same dyno ran by the same very experienced guy.  That type of comparison is something we're rarely allowed.  Still only a curiosity.  But a good one.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 09:06:20 PM »

That bearing change was about halfway through the 2000 model year.  Got any idea whether blues or reds came first that year?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.