Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: problems on long trip  (Read 3231 times)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
problems on long trip
« on: July 10, 2005, 10:55:47 AM »

just got back from a cross country trip with many questions. to start I have a 2001 fltrsei2 with a intake kit ,true duels with python slip ons and a powercommander with stock map.For the trip I put the stock mufflers on the true duel headers to quiet it up and scince I resricted the flow I reinstalled the origonal air cleaner.So the bike had the powercommander,true duels into stock mufflers and stock intake.  (1) In high altatude she would not idle worth a chit and had no power.  (2)  The motor reallymade alot of noise around 73 to 78 mph(Tapping really loud)wich I was told is normal from many twin cam owners.  (3) I know the screamin eagles have diffrent gearings in the primary but my average speed was 80 taching out at 3700 rpm's and my mpg at that speed was about 27 mpg.Any input on this subject would be apreciated. I have been running a pan and an evo for 18 years so twin cam and efi are not my specialty,   Headpan62     (6200 miles in 16 days)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:57:36 AM by HEADPAN62 »
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: problems on long trip
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 06:34:49 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, HEADPAN62,
 Shovelhead71 could give you the details much better than me.  Are you sure it has Stock Map? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  You reduced the air coming in, and goin' out, with your MODS for the trip.  Can't relate at all to that tapping noise.  If it is there, my RINEHART'S kill it!  However, I do hear CHIT [smiley=oops.gif]I mean CHIP, tapping his fingers on the table, thinking, "How am I gonna' outrun Tater?" [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Your Engine Sprocket has 24 teeth, mine has 25.  Your Clutch Hub Sprocket has 37 teeth, mine has 36.  In Fifth gear, at the same speed, assuming we both have 16" rear tires, your Engine will be cranking 200 RPM's more than mine.  27MPG?  Somethin' is definitely wrong, there.  The answer will come. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  This is a Great Site man, and I'm glad you're a member.  Later--HUBBARD
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 06:35:58 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 10:24:20 PM »

Thanks for the replys.I knew I would have a power loss with the stock intake and exaust  reinstalled but is was very noticeable in HIGH altitude along with having no idle at 12'000 ft. which I thought EFI would adjust as needed and it did not.I'd rather have a good old s&s shorty.Has anybody converted EFI back to a carb.It is the stock powercommender2. I get alot of (POP) when deexelerating so I leaned low & mid range out a bit and that went away for the most part.Runs great here in Jersey.Real fast and quick.(Bring it on Hubbard!!)   Any more input on the 27 mpg running at 80?
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 10:47:15 PM »

Yeah, somethings bad wrong to be getting 27mpg cruising at 80mph.  Mine usually drops some at interstate speeds (75-80) but still get in mid to high 30's.  When I get on back roads and fall back to 60-65mph the mileage goes back to low to mid 40's.  Just talked with a guy who has a 103 built for the dragstrip and he's getting 50mpg!  Now that's efficiency!   Har!   [smiley=laugh.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 11:32:42 AM »

also why do these specific model hd's (fltrsei2) have the different gearings in the primary.It seems this is the only model like this and the service supplement manual does not back it up.I called H d in wisconsin and they said it is not factory to have the diffrent teeth on the clutch and compensating sprocet.     all big twins run  25(compensator) and 36(clutch), the screamin eagle road glide has 24(compensator) and 37(clutch)   WHY!!!!! [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 01:48:17 AM »

Comparing Delphi here is apples and oranges.  The Marelli ECM simply can't compensate as well as Delphi, and add into the mix that for what your bike is running, you NEED a USB powercommander with front and rear fuel maps written.  

With the gearing you have, and the altitude you were at - given it'smost likely not mapped properly and running at 3700 rpm, yep - 27 mighjt be it.  

Been there, mapped it, converted it to Delphi.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 09:01:16 AM »

Thanks onescreamin eagle. What was the cost of the conversion and how hard was it. Did you need a wiring harness?
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 09:53:33 AM »

just got back from a cross country trip with many questions. to start I have a 2001 fltrsei2 with a intake kit ,true duels with python slip ons and a powercommander with stock map.For the trip I put the stock mufflers on the true duel headers to quiet it up and scince I resricted the flow I reinstalled the origonal air cleaner.So the bike had the powercommander,true duels into stock mufflers and stock intake.  (1) In high altatude she would not idle worth a chit and had no power.  (2)  The motor reallymade alot of noise around 73 to 78 mph(Tapping really loud)wich I was told is normal from many twin cam owners.  (3) I know the screamin eagles have diffrent gearings in the primary but my average speed was 80 taching out at 3700 rpm's and my mpg at that speed was about 27 mpg.Any input on this subject would be apreciated. I have been running a pan and an evo for 18 years so twin cam and efi are not my specialty,   Headpan62     (6200 miles in 16 days)

When you put the restrictive air cleaner and pipes back on the bike and didn't change the map, it caused the bike to run rich.  At high altitude the thinner air causes the mixture to be even richer.  This would account for the mileage and the poor running.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.