Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 01 flhrsei  (Read 4526 times)

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
01 flhrsei
« on: August 21, 2005, 04:28:37 PM »

I am looking at a 2001 SERG at our dealership. It is a very clean, well kept, 1 owner, bike with 21,000 miles on it. It has a 12 disk cd player in the trunk. The question I have for this board is about the efi system. I understand  it has the older system in it. What is the problem with it and does it affect all bikes that have it or just some? I took it for a test ride yesterday and it ran great with plenty of power. (95 cubes) Also what does the 2 stand for in flhrsei2? The price is $19,900.

Thanks Ripp

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
Re: 01 flhrsei
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 05:18:24 PM »

Ripp there is nothing wrong with the FI I have A 01 its perfect, the 2 means its the 2nd year for the SERG.

OTIS [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005, 08:09:40 PM »

Thanks Otis. I think I will trade in my Fatboy Tuesday for it. We are headed to Deals Gap next month and  the SERG will be alot better ride. I've had cruisers all my life but I think I'm to the point of wanting more comfort for the long trips.

Thanks again for your input.  Ripp

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:16:03 AM »

I disagree.I just put 10,000 on my fltrsei2 and I experience (1) eratic idle,looked at several times at dealership.(2)low rpm ping,especially in the summer.(3) 400 rpm higher at crusing speed than all other big twins and twin cams.(4) hard starting sometimes when idle is acting up.So if someone knows the cure before I convert to either delphi or the new zippers conversion,Speak up please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Headpan62
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 07:49:15 AM »

I have had one since new. I have replaced the fuel pump (for noise) as for performance I have never had a problem. It has worked flawlessly. It starts easy, runs great and gets great mileage. Go for it!!!!

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 02:06:53 AM »

well tony1968 you are one of thew lucky ones. Otis if you have any input I would apreciate it,headpan62 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 10:41:25 PM »

I bought my 01 SERG Tuesday afternoon and have managed to get a few hundred miles on it even though the weather has been crappy, but it has run smooth so far. I still can't believe how fast it is for it's size.
   I talked to the head wrench at our dealership about the efi system and he said if you don't have a problem by now you probably won't have one, but he did admit that some do have a problem that turn into a real headache even for the best mechanics. Here's to hoping I have a good one.

Later Ripp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 10:45:25 PM »

Ripp, some of the old M&M systems could be quirky; that's certainly true.  And they just weren't as "smart" as the Delphi systems have become.  But from those I've been around what you say seems very much to be true.  Those few that act up can be a chore.  But the majority that don't just, well, don't.  I had it on a 2000 RK and it ran fine for tens of thousand of miles.  Enjoy the new bike and don't lose any sleep over the EFI system unless it makes you do it.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 01:09:15 AM »

I disagree.I just put 10,000 on my fltrsei2 and I experience (1) eratic idle,looked at several times at dealership.(2)low rpm ping,especially in the summer.(3) 400 rpm higher at crusing speed than all other big twins and twin cams.(4) hard starting sometimes when idle is acting up.So if someone knows the cure before I convert to either delphi or the new zippers conversion,Speak up please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Headpan62

Head Pan if you are running your lowers your motor is running hot and that where your ping is comming from. your 400 rpms are because the SE Road glide was geared diffrent from the factory then other big twin. Eratic idle  probably fuel preasure regulater, hope I have helped let me know.

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 11:13:42 AM »

Otis,the lowers are off,I run them in winter months only(too dam hot for sure).I knew about the gearing(maybe 6 speed this winter). the fuel pressure regulator will be replaced for G/p just to see if it helps.Yeah I got one of the bad ones(driving me nuts but love my glide!!) otis thank you for your input and will keep you posted,Headpan62 [smiley=beerchug.gif]
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:17:47 AM »

Congrats Ripp on your new scoot..Glad its one of the good ones!!!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 11:49:29 PM »

well tony1968 you are one of thew lucky ones.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

This is my 2nd MM injected bike, I had a 2k EG that I put over 23k on and never had a problem with the EFI. I had a problem with the brakes (wasted in less than 10k) which to me was bs. I only put one set on my EVO which had over 60k. I had a air shock blow out the day I rode it home. Started having a serious knock around 22k....

On my 2001 SERG I have had one of the front calipers replaced (leaked twice), front wheel bearing and seals, 2 fuel pumps (1 for noise, 1 for fuel gauge) and a transmission mainshaft seal. (all warranty) and a battery.

I never have had a problem with the injection. I ride mine with the lowers on year round, and usually ride it pretty hard. It does ping, but I think they all ping! Maybe not the new ones with heat management, but anything prior to that EFI or CARB will ping if its hot enough. They are all tuned lean to meet EPA. Alway run super in the tank! My biggest complaint has been the chrome fiasco. Chrome has been peeling since new. The fuel pump noise was a major hassle. I also have had my tour pak spoiler come loose, and the shifter fall off riding down the interstate.  And I had the cam tensioners checked, but not replaced yet... I did put a oil cooler on it before I  picked it up and always use syn oil either syn 3, mobil 1 or amsoil.  And my custom SE seat has come apart at the seams and needs to be replaced...

So I am nowhere near lucky....

Back in the day they were making "junk"  Harleys are years ahead of what they were a short time ago. You would wash your bike and you couldnt start it for over an hour...  Go on a ride and end up in the pick up every week.

Its a love hate relationship for sure, they're are days I want sell it, have the tattoo removed and buy a goldwing.... Thinking it would be cheaper and alot less painful....

LOL!!!

Havent done it yet....

luther6

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2005, 07:05:56 PM »

My 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide with 3k miles just recently started to idle rough, and sputter once in awhile, so I took it to a HD dealer who replaced the intake manifold o-rings.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 05:01:16 PM by luther6 »

Ripp

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 09:28:50 AM »

[bgcolor=gray]
(Btw, I am also disappointed with the chrome peeling on my front fork.  It is not noticeable unless you know where to look...around the mounting of the fender to the fork.)
[/bgcolor]
Luther, I don't know about your idling problem, but I was looking at an 01 Road Glide at a used car lot here in Topeka before I found the one I got at our dealership and it had chrome peeling off all over the bike. When the salesman came over to me, he said he got the bike on ebay and was told it had very little rust. The bike was from Corpus Christi, Texas and he said the salt water in the air caused it. My inlaws lived down by Brownsville and I road a Low Rider down there one time and the last day there it rained and the next morning all the brushed aluminum on the bike turned white. It took a month to polish it back to normal. I noticed your from Texas. I don't know how far Round Rock is from the Gulf, but that could be the problem.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 09:35:17 AM by Ripp »

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2005, 07:22:26 PM »

Hey luther6 welcome.Well sounds just like my bike.The idle is the worst of my many issues with the mm efi. I did the intake o- rings,had the hot and cold idle programed at a local dealership,replaced the idle positioning sensor, and still eratic idle.Under Otis' advice I am having the fuel pressure regulator tested or replaced....But so far I might look into the zippers conversion (in other catagorie).
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.