Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Chopped Tour Pack or Soft T-Bag - Need Opinions  (Read 10526 times)

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Chopped Tour Pack or Soft T-Bag - Need Opinions
« on: December 31, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »

Am trying to decide whether i spend $200 for a Harley T-Bag or splurge and get the chopped tour pack for about $1200-1500 - depending on how i deck it out.  Its going on my new 09 SERG -  which is a keeper for me!!

I usually ride solo but need more room than just the saddlebags for long trips.  I have never had a Tour pack before.

So what i need now is your opinions on which is the better route to go and why.  Yes money is an object but i can scrape together the $ for either - the cost of the tour pack would bite a bit but i would prefer to do this once and do it right.

Comments please.

Thanks in advance.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
Re: Chopped Tour Pack or Soft T-Bag - Need Opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:44:31 PM »

Would the tour pack be detachable?  How often do you take trips requiring additional space?  How much space do you require?  Questions, Questions, Questions...

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »

Am trying to decide whether i spend $200 for a Harley T-Bag or splurge and get the chopped tour pack for about $1200-1500 - depending on how i deck it out.  Its going on my new 09 SERG -  which is a keeper for me!!

I usually ride solo but need more room than just the saddlebags for long trips.  I have never had a Tour pack before.

So what i need now is your opinions on which is the better route to go and why.  Yes money is an object but i can scrape together the $ for either - the cost of the tour pack would bite a bit but i would prefer to do this once and do it right.

Comments please.

Thanks in advance.

The TBag will hold MUCH more than a chopped TP. Like Gary said, how much room ya need? If you ride solo, I'd not spend the $ for the TP. I put one on my SERK for my BSR. Otherwise I'd have been perfectly fine with my TBag travelling solo. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

Given the choice, I have a Route 66 T-Bag and I love it. Slide it off, and it rolls in. I just don't see the chopped tour pack being able to hold as much.
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »

I'm in a similar situation as you... ride (travel) solo most of the time. I opted for the KTP over the CTP because of two things...

1. CTP costs more then the KTP (for my bike it was about $100)

2. I figured when I need the TP it would be for space not for looks.

The lockable TP to me offered a better feeling of security then a T-Bag would. I did go w/detachable KTP so that when I arrive at my destination I could strip my bike back down to a "Draggin' Bagger".

The majority of the time my KTP stays stored, and is only used about once/twice a year. However if I had gotten a CTP I might be inclined to leave that on more because I do like that look (less obtrusive) for daily use (still would stick w/detachable hardware). I guess you (at least in my case) have to decide if you get a TP would you be more likely to leave it on when not travelling (daily use) or only use it for travelling.

Daily Use = CTP

Traveling Use Only = KTP

Good luck  on whatever you decide. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »

I like them both have the TP on the 05SEEG, but I'm not going to put one on the 09 SERG I'm using my T-Bag Soozie rides here own so I'm solo all the time and the T-Bag will hold enough, but like you $1200 verses a $100 It's a no brainer!

Don.................

pullmesideways

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yeller
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 11:14:35 PM »

Well imho I love have the CTP. I have never had one before this bike and I absolutely love it.

There are 2 main reasons that I like it.

1) It is so convenient. Even when I ride around town I have a place put my glove, glasses, hats, helmet etc... I realize all of these items can fit in the bags but the TP is a more convenient location.

2) Looks. I think the CTP balances the look of the bike. Even though I have the detachable hardware, I really don't think I will take the TP off anytime soon.

Here are some phone pics

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:34:40 AM by pullmesideways »
Current Scooters: 08' Buell XB12XT - 09 FLTRSE3

Former Scooter: 07 FLHX 113 motor - it was fast!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 09:30:19 AM »

In my view you can't beat the handiness of the tour pak. I've had them on all my dressers and tried to do w/o on the SERG. Finally broke over and ordered one. Even if the wife's not along it's the bag I use the most for the stuff I use frequently. Did the soft bag on a trip to Milwaukee and it held lots of stuff worried every time we left the bike unattended. In the end I'm going w/ two tour paks, one to travel w/ and one for the shorter trips and w/ the detachable we can go tour pakless w/ little effort.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 09:38:55 AM »

I've used both. The CTP is much more convient for getting to stuff while on the road. (Rain gear, sunscreen, etc) And your stuff is locked when you want to be away from the bike for awhile.

The T-Bag is great for hauling alot of stuff. If you don't travel a bunch, this is cost effective. I use both sometimes.

Besides, the CTP comes off once I'm at my destination.

JW

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 09:47:37 AM »

I have been mulling over the same issue, however, I have been using the SAC tour bags (full size and half size depending on length of trip) with detachable luggage rack and find them perfectly acceptable, easily removed and stowed on the road.  I like the looks of the CTP on a SEEG or SERG if you want one, but agree with others that the KTP is more useful for storage, particularly with a BSR.  Since you ride mostly solo, the extra storage capacity isn't an issue.  Therefore, it is strictly a matter of looks and convenience which only you can decide on.  Good luck either way!  
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 09:52:05 AM »

in 2000 my SERG came with the ctp, my wife hated it...the pass pad hit her in a tough spot and made long distance less comfortable for her...so I found an old beat up ktp at a swap meet for like 75 bucks, also found the the broken bottom of a nice ktp and was able to scavenge the lenses and rubber mat as well as the rubber snubbers so bag lids dont bump into bootom of tp. Bought a removable rack and SERG antenae kit...got it painted for a hundred bucks ....found an old luggage rack for cheap too. i have like 300 bucks invested in the whole deal. Both tp's sit on the shelf for the most part, as i ride solo mostly now too....but when the wife comes with me I put on the ktp...if it was to get dingged  it would hurt as much as if the the ctp got hurt. So i dont mind her going in and out of it at rest stops...the rack on top is great too...we look like the Beverly hillbillys headed down the road all loaded up.....We call the king tour pac ..."the dumpster" as it holds a lot of stuff...also found the king tour pack suitcase liner too...and that makes motel stops a breeze :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 10:43:12 AM »

What is a T-bag ? Do you have a picture ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 10:45:59 AM »

What is a T-bag ? Do you have a picture ?
How about a website - T-Bags.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »

THXS .  :2vrolijk_21:
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Rickybobby

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 01:12:44 PM »

Highjagger
Here is a picture of the HD version of the bag that i was considering.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.