Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: New SERG Front Tire " Warranty" Replacement  (Read 15582 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: New SERG Front Tire " Warranty" Replacement
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 12:11:56 PM »

JJ,  That's quite a story.  While I don't doubt you, if true, it would expose both HD and Dunlop to serious product liability litigation.  That does seem to explain the D407 vs. D408 issue, though. 

I have a call into HD customer service about the D402 the dealer put on mine.  As I explained above, dealer says this is what HD instructed.  Dunlop says no way.  HD customer service is supposed to get back to me but the person on the phone had never heard of a D402 being used on a SERG.   :nixweiss:  Should be interesting. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 0/B 09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »

I made up nothing believe me, that is what the Dunlop guys  told me (he was a Regional manager) , could they be covering that these new tires are simply just not as good as the old design, maybe, but I doubt it, tires tech. has come a long way, and tires (like most other items)   usually always get better...... not worse, when former fronts always got at least 30K miles (straight touring miles)  with really very real wear, & these new ones are cupped to the point of having to be replaced at 11K, then there is a problem, & we both  know Dunlop did endless testing on these tires prior to releasing them,  they just never spent much time testing the them put on in the incorrect direction from the direction they were designed for, , & that is what they told MOCO.  That is the explanation for the early released 09s having the front tread running one way, & then late released 09s have the tread running the other direction.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 01:42:37 PM »

JJ,

I believe YOU.  And the story makes sense. 

But after my dealings with HD, I'm not sure I believe anything else!     :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »

Yes I know what you mean, it's kinda rare, in my opinion,  that two companies in business together BOTH incorrectly address an issue like this.
10.5 SE pistons, roller rocker arms, Headquarters  575 cams, SE push rods. 100 HP. 119 lbs. torque Progressive F/R

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 02:57:46 PM »

UPDATE, as I had indicated "they" warrentied my rear about 70% of cost that had almost 12K on it, which I feel was very fair, was just advised that the front that "cupped" & had to be replaced @ 13,260mi  "they" warrentied 100% including labor, so I guess I'm a satisfied camper. These tires were replaced while on the "road" in Aug. by two different dealers, so my advise is if you want to file a warrenty claim  at replacement be sure that the dealer doing the work "holds" the tire as "they" usually want info & measurements off the tire.  And who is "they", the dealer isn't saying,  it's  either MOCO or Dunlop and  at this point I really don't care which.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 04:15:48 PM »

For what its worth, A buddy (who is also a service writer at a dealer) states that the MoCo no longer performs warranty replacements on the D407's(this is from Corporate).  Good luck everyone!

Greg;
  You have got an awesome "get out of jail free card" from Dunlap.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) they do not make an D402 18" rear. 
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 02:30:13 PM »

...   Upon arriving in Rapid City I talked at great lenght with the Dunlop guys.  Only after great presistance did I obtain the true story.   Dunlop had completed all their testing and production QC & presented the tires to MOCO for approval.  The tires were approved and placement on the new bikes started.     THEN MOCO marketing noticed that the front tire was opposite of the tread pattern on the rear tire, & MOCO directed Dunlop to change the direction arrow (and tread pattern) so both were the same.  Of course Dunlop advise  that no real testing had been done on the front with the pattern the other way, but MOCO insisted & the change be made, Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, that is why the fronts are cupping @ about 12K, and that is why neither MOCO or Dunlop is taking responisbility for this problem, but will replace if you stay on them about it. . & yet I continue to see new 09s sitting in dealers with front instaled the wrong direction, &  that tire will cup out within the first 12K, & both MOCO & Dunlop do nothing because they know many new bikes never reach 12K before they are traded.   

Hey JJ, 

Thought about this and realized that may explain the front tire (D407F) cupping but not the rear (D407R).  In my case, the rear was cupped more than the front.  Examination after removal showed the rear was cupped a lot more.  So, what would be the reason for that?   :nixweiss:  I'm just not sure I buy the claim that turning the tire around would cure the issue or that Dunlop would allow it and risk product liability lawsuits.  "Directional" tread is used for wet conditions. 

BTW, still waiting for HD customer service to call back from Friday...   :sleeping:

Sawyer Brown

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »

>:( >:( >:(
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »

I think you just hit on something that I questioned once before Greg.  If the cupping and rapid wear was due to the tread pattern running backward, why have many rear tires with the tread supposedly running in the proper direction also shown cupping and abnormal wear? 

There is a lot more to this entire issue than what has been reported by Dunlop and Harley, and unless someone knows a high level insider at one of those companies that can be convinced to spill the beans, I doubt we will ever know the real story.  Of course, those who are having abnormal wear issues don't need to prove to anyone what the real issue is, just that the wear is not normal nor is it acceptable.  If H-D and/or Dunlop decide to jerk folks around and not step up, I still recommend filing a complaint with NHTSA (you can do it on-line) and then looking into what it would take to file in small claims court.  If Harley and Dunlop get enough chit thrown at them by NHTSA and the local courts, I'll bet they get off their duff and take care of the people.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 09:26:25 PM »

:soapbox: :soapbox:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 1999 Road King

jettjocky

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 08:39:11 AM »

I forgot to mention that the reason the rear was replaced @ 11,300, was that it was also cupped badly, (70% warrenty) however I was not too concerned because it did get to 11,300, so just in my opinion, there is a "cupping issue" on both tires,  then changing the rotation of the front wheel (100% warrenty @ 13,300) just added to to the problem.  From at least just what I have seen "someone" is I believe, addressing the replacement issue as I preceive these tires are being replaced, perhaps reluctedly under warrenty.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:40:58 AM by jettjocky »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

The rear is not as bad as the front.  Plus you don't normally hear or feel the rear like the front.

:coolblue:

Former 1999 Road King

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 02:20:46 PM »

My front 407 was replaced under warranty. But I had to email this
issue up to the new Managing Director of Europe. He then kicked
down to the national sales director, dealer manager and dealer.
Got the seat replaced as well, a little better but still not satisfied.

Bandit
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »

Bandit
AHA , good job from you , in germany i had no success
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

Bandit
I have also had success going along the same route as Bandit,
going to the higher echelons has also helped me in the past to get a replacment petrol tank, well done Bruno
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 21 queries.