Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Fairing Removal and Installation  (Read 13681 times)

Webb

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 SERG Orange & Black

• CVO1: 2009 SERG O/B
Fairing Removal and Installation
« on: February 02, 2010, 03:55:17 PM »

Looking for instructions on removing fairing on 09 Road Glide to replace speakers.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:41:54 PM by GregKhougaz »
Live to Ride,
Ride to Live

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Fairing removal
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 04:39:30 PM »

See reply #'s 4 & 5 here:  Road Glide Fairing Removal???.  Note #1 priority is to cover the front fender!  Here are the pages from the Service Manual:

and

finally

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

serg18

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Orange- Sold
    • CVO2: 13 SERG gold/green- Sold
    • CVO3: 14 Red CVO limited- new ride
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »

Great post!

Webb

• Full CVO Member
  • 2009 SERG Orange & Black

• CVO1: 2009 SERG O/B
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »

Thank you.
Live to Ride,
Ride to Live

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 05:43:58 PM »

Greg, I noticed this is from a 2006 manual.  Anyone know if there are differences removing an 06 fairing and an 09 fairing, given the changes to the 09 frames and all?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:49:06 PM by GregKhougaz »

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:17:17 PM »

You do not have to remove the windshield to pop off the front of the shark nose.
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

harley2001SERG

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »

If you do not have one get a manual for your bike.

R&R of the front part of the fairing (nose) is pretty easy just take your time and cover up your fender as your working over it. If your is like mine (2001) once you remove the lowers (if your have them) remove the side acorn nuts and bolt assembly (on mine one bolt is longer than the other so just make sure the assemblies goes back on as you removed them). Then remove the screws that hold the cover in place (6, I think). At that point the nose is ready to be removed. Grab the nose from the front of the bike and lift up on it as it is latched inside. At that point it will free be in your hands and the only other thing that needs to be done is to disconect the light assembly wires. To replace the nose I first remove the light assembly from the nose so you can easily re-latch the nose. Once the nose is in place and the screws and side acorn nuts put in/on, just re-attach your light wires and snap the light assembly into the nose (if I remember this is not the way they describe it in the manual). They may have made some changes but that is the way I do it on mine.   

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 08:30:05 AM »

If you do not have one get a manual for your bike.

R&R of the front part of the fairing (nose) is pretty easy just take your time and cover up your fender as your working over it. If your is like mine (2001) once you remove the lowers (if your have them) remove the side acorn nuts and bolt assembly (on mine one bolt is longer than the other so just make sure the assemblies goes back on as you removed them). Then remove the screws that hold the cover in place (6, I think). At that point the nose is ready to be removed. Grab the nose from the front of the bike and lift up on it as it is latched inside. At that point it will free be in your hands and the only other thing that needs to be done is to disconect the light assembly wires. To replace the nose I first remove the light assembly from the nose so you can easily re-latch the nose. Once the nose is in place and the screws and side acorn nuts put in/on, just re-attach your light wires and snap the light assembly into the nose (if I remember this is not the way they describe it in the manual). They may have made some changes but that is the way I do it on mine.   
same way I do it on my 09
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »

Greg, I noticed this is from a 2006 manual.  Anyone know if there are differences removing an 06 fairing and an 09 fairing, given the changes to the 09 frames and all?

No difference.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Cant get the fairing back on correctly.
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »

Took fairing off to put in new speakers & amp. Now cant get it to line back up on the edges where the bolts go thru to hold in place. Any tips on getting back on correctly. Have a gap only on left side up near windshield & also down the side. It seems like its hitting on something & not allowing it to slide up further. But i cant see anything that its hitting on in there...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
Re: Cant get the fairing back on correctly.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »

what kind of speakers and amp and where did you place the amp?
TJ

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 04:37:41 PM »

If you search, you will find:  Road Glide Fairing Removal / Installation.    The pages shown are from an '06 but the process has not changed.

Sawyer Brown

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »

Hawg wired dbl shot system installed. Put amp were they suggested. Problem is on opposite side of fairing from amp placement. Just seems like fairing won't go back to where all edges are flush up against rubber trim moulding on left side. I've had the fairing off several times before thou.  Put now it won't all line up.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »

:D ;D Sory I have to laugh, at my self of cource. I have the Harley Manuals so when  I up graded with hog wired I  had the fairing off under 20 miniutes.  Could not get it back in place for anything. I tried 3 differen't days the last time with my wife helping. I just could not get the slots to line up with the bracket, radio, supports.  Finaly took to dealer who told me they only have one teck who can get these back on right.  I figure there is a guy in York, Pa who must put 50 or so of  these on each day. What is the trick? 8)

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »

:D ;D ...   I just could not get the slots to line up with the bracket, radio, supports.  ...  What is the trick? 8)

See directions above.  Make sure there is nothing in the way of the two hooks.  For me, line up the fairing where you think it should be then using both hands, puch up and forward, then down to catch the two hooks.  Then move to either side and line up the tabs.  Still it's not always easy.  Hope this helps.  I'm going to install the new J & M amp this weekend so we'll see. 

Sawyer Brown

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »

This might help:  Move to the left side and gently pull the left side inner fairing back.  You should then be able to see the tabs inside and line them up correctly.   The tabs on the inner fairing go outboard of those on the outer fairing.  If you can get that in line, tightening up the three screws on the left side should close the gap.  It also helps to lift the sides of the outer fairing to align the running light bolts.

It's not the best design!

Sawyer Brown

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Fairing Removal and Installation
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »

Cant get the left side alignment tabs to engage in fairing at all. Thats were my gaps are and also rite below the windshield as well...The rite side goes in without any problems. May just have to let dealer fix if i cant get it...
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »

It is a b*&ch alright. Make sure all the wiring harnesses are tucked up out of the way. I have done it twice and both times the wiring harnesses gave me some grief.... but I did get it.
You will feel like bashing the chit out of it until  you feel it snap into place and then you feel like you just___________  (fill in the blank)

Rob
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:46:35 PM by rganz »
Rob

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »

I think there is a web site called fix my hog. They have a video of how to remove and install the fairing. Give that a try.

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »

loosen the brackets that hold the fairing to your crash bar. This will  help line up the holes for your turn signal brackets. Make sure you use a piece of tape to mark their placement before you loosen them.

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »

The first couple of times were something else.  Not bad now, I leave the headlight assembly in place, look from the top to the hooks and slide the nose into place.  Gets easier each time.  Patience is a virtue (yeah sure, but a big hammer gets more results) :cherry:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »

I've had mine off at least 20 times, have installed the factory CB module and Bazooka amp and 6x8 speakers, the only way I put mine back on is to remove the headlights to insure the hooks are fully engaged. When lining up the sides i push the inner in a little to get the tabs in the right spot.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 12:56:21 PM »

Cant get the left side alignment tabs to engage in fairing at all. That's where my gaps are and also rite below the windshield as well...The rite side goes in without any problems. May just have to let dealer fix if i cant get it...

That sounds like you're only engaging the right side hook.  See if there is any wiring interfering with the other hook. 

Sawyer Brown

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »

I consider myself to be a very handy guy with stuff like this, but I too had issue when putting it all back together.

I called and talked to Don as he has lots of experience with these and I followed what he told me, but still no go.

I took mine off because of the headlight adjuster on the top had popped out of the housing.  I tried and tried to get this to hook up.

I eventually put masking tape on the inside so I could see my marking it with the hooks how close I was getting to being in the right spot.

I found out that one of the radio or main harness had fallen down and was stopping the fairing from pushing in far enough to hook.  I found marks on the harness and cable tied it up out of the way and on the next try the fairing fell right into place.  It was actually as simple as Don had said.  Yes you do have to push firmly, but not with a wiring harness in the way.

I would check out any harness that may be on the front of the radio housing and move and relocate it up out of the way.

I've ordered J&M 7.25" 3-way speakers and I'll be taking the fairing back off next week to install them.  I don't expect any issues this time around.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 04:32:02 PM »

Thank  You all for your advise! ::) I'm sure this will not be my last time to take the fairing off and I don't want to keep taking back to dealer to get it back on.  I bet the guy on the assembly line has it mastered tho.  :orange: 8)

HawgSounds

• The Ultimate in Harley Sound Systems
  • Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • The Ultimate in Harley Davidson Sound Systems

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electric Glide
    • www.hawgsounds.com
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »

If you do it the way LarryB say, you will have no problem.
Motorcycles Unlimited -Hawg Sounds
269 S Beverly Drive Unit 201
Beverly Hills, Ca 90212
1-877-888-2788

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 11:50:38 PM »

Never figured how to get the headlight assembly out so I re and re the nose in one piece.  Anyone put in HID lights?  Good reason to take the fairing apart again.

southtxcruiser

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 1990 Heritage Softail
    • CVO3: 2005 Saxon Sceptre
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

larryb was right it was so easy with the headlight assembly off i replaces the black trim pieces that go on the front fairing... got some chrome ones on thieir know... lets see how long they hold up quality doesnt look that good and they were 3m....

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 11:14:30 AM »

i got rid of that POS black rubber trim about 20k miles ago. installed the chrome stuff I got from the auto supply place. still holding on and looking good.
there's a guy on ebay selling similar stuff,but it's thinner and easier to bend.
Search it under harley Tour packs, spelled just like that

Clarkem54

• CVO1: 2009 CVO FLTRSE3 Screaming Eagle Road Glide
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:58 AM »

Just finished installing the J&M 7.25 speakers and the amp and followed the following post: "To replace the nose I first remove the light assembly from the nose so you can easily re-latch the nose. Once the nose is in place and the screws and side acorn nuts put in/on, just re-attach your light wires and snap the light assembly into the nose (if I remember this is not the way they describe it in the manual). They may have made some changes but that is the way I do it on mine".   I spent hours trying to re-install the fairing until I read the above. It is the easiest way to reinstall the Road Glide fairing. I can't thank Harley2001SERG enough! Great post and it works.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 02:15:03 PM »

When you discuss removing the headlight assembly, is this in reference to the headlight bezel on the older model Road Glides or are you talking about the complete headlamp assembly (the bulbs, per se) ?

DH
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 20 queries.