Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's the wellnut issue?  (Read 5534 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
What's the wellnut issue?
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »

I've heard a lot about it, but never knew what they were. Last night, I removed my KW windshield for the first time, and even made sure I read the service manual first, as I wanted to avoid the infamous dropping the wellnuts into the fairing.

So I took the shield off, and the wellnuts just stay in the holes in the fairing....so, I don't get it- when is it that they are at risk of falling in the fairing- is it when you install new ones, because they didn't move when I removed the shield?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Rimjam

• Elite CVO Member
Re: What's the wellnut issue?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »

When you start to reinstall the w/s and push against the wellnuts to start the screws sometimes the wellnut flange goes through the hole in the fairing and "clunk" its down inside.  The problem seems to worsen as the wellnuts age.  Some owners say to keep the wellnut on the w/s by not completely removing the screw but as the wellnuts age they're harder and harder to pull out through the mounting holes.  Being very careful is the only solution I have.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »

Yep.  Change the shield a few more times.  Eventually, you'll understand. ;)

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »

Do yourself a favor and pick up several at the hardware store or dealer to keep on hand. Odds are good you'll need one someday.  ;)

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:16:37 PM »

Do yourself a favor and pick up several at the hardware store or dealer to keep on hand. Odds are good you'll need one someday.  ;)

X2    I always keep 5 spares on hand
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »

Reinstallation is when you'll commonly lose them.  You'll push them through.  Though older ones will sometimes just fall through almost on their own.  If their centers are not swollen too badly after removal you can start them on the screws on the windshield first.  Then stick everthing on the bike as an assembly.  Can't lose them at all that way.  Though that does work best with new wellnuts.

Harley1958

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:15:37 PM »

Ha!  I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one with a few weelnuts lost inside the fairing!   :P

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »

Ah, I get it now- thanks guys.

Figure I'll just buy new ones then and replace them once I get my new shield- a couple look a little deformed anyways.

I called Cee Baileys to inquire about their upgraded hardware kit (better wellnuts and hardware), but they told me it only works on their shields, which I don't really understand, unless the holes on theirs are different than other shields, and are matched with the wellnuts??? Not sure if it was BS or not to try to encourage people buying only their windshields to use with the kit.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »

The problem with the wellnuts is the soft rubber washer used behind it on install, go to Ace and replace the soft rubber washers with nylon ones the same size and you will never lose a wellnut in the fairing.   Doc

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 09:32:18 AM »

The problem with the wellnuts is the soft rubber washer used behind it on install, go to Ace and replace the soft rubber washers with nylon ones the same size and you will never lose a wellnut in the fairing.   Doc

agree.. take one with you as they come in different sizes
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 02:11:06 AM »

I fixed my shield with the wellnuts from inside the fairing beause the holes in the fairing did not keep the wellnuts anymore and so the wellnits popped out because some shields have more tension and there was a gap between the shield and the fairing .
 Now my shield is really fixed without gap .
 Remove and reinstall the fairing is a 30 minutes job ( when you did it for about ten times because of headlight bulbs changing , speaker upgrade , amp install , and and and ) .
 I don`t trust this wellnuts-fix-system .
My solution is more complicated when changing the shield but it fixes the shield better - i don`t want to get a loosen shield at 130mph or on a tour without having the right tools in my hand to repair this an the street .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Denial

• B-52 Gunner
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 06:52:50 PM »

Lost my first well nut today.
If I buy the HD replacement well nuts do I have to split the fairing again to install it?
1978 Electra Glide
2001 SERG

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »

No you can just pop it into the hole and then replace the shield,  just be careful to be sure that the threads catch so that you don't push it through again.
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »

I guess I didn't know any better on how to do the windshield change.  This just seemed like the way to do it.

I take out the screws and remove the windshield.  Then pull out the rubber well nuts.  I place the screws into the other windshield and thread the well nuts onto the screws a couple threads.  Then just start with the center well nut and work my way outward until they are all into the fairing holes.  I tighten them up from the center one out to each side and that's it.

I've changed my windshield at least a dozen times, including when I remove the fairing.  It just seems easier for me reinstalling the fairing to get the top gasket and guides in with the windshield off.

I'm still using the original well nuts and never lost one in the fairing; kind of hard to with them installed while on the screws.  Maybe I'm just too cheap to replace them, but they always tighten down great and out of all my windshields, I've never had one pop out on me.  These are just standard well nuts that can be sourced from Grainger, McMaster Carr and the automotive parts stores at a lot less money than HD parts departments.

I plan to keep reusing mine until they start to crack.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.