Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rush muffler tarnishing?  (Read 3108 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Rush muffler tarnishing?
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:54:11 PM »

I have the Rush mufflers and yesterday I noticed a tarnished area just behind the 2 into 1 shield. It' is on the muffler body. Near the very front of the muffler. It kind of looks like someone sprayed something on it and has a rough texture. About a 2" by 3" area. This is my second set of these mufflers. The first set had the same problem and was replaced by Jamie at FuelMoto. At that time, he said he had another set with this problem. The current mufflers have about a 1000K on them. It will not come off! You name it, I've tried it. As I don't know what is causing this I assume it's a defect in the chrome. However it does seem odd that the problem area  does not move around. Both sets were in the same place. No my pants aren't anywhere near that area. I had my wife sit on the bike with her legs both on the pegs and dangling in front of the pass pegs. We aren't touching the mufflers when at rest or when riding. Anybody else?
  Gary

2fatbob09

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Rush muffler tarnishing?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:05:03 AM »

that sucks!  two sets and the same thing!  Rush claims they have amoung the best chroming in the business.  My dealer is pushing the Rush Slip Ons in a big way and I know several riders who have them on their 2008 Fat Bob.  I will ask around and see what I can find out regarding that problem.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:16 AM »

I have them too on my '06 SEUC and the right pipe where the slip on starts has turned gold.  I too am not very happy with this.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:36:30 AM »

who installed them?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »

Probably has nothing to do with the chrome plate vendor, and everything to do with the internal design of the mufflers.  If all these mufflers are having the problem in the exact same area, I would suspect a problem with the internal routing of the exhaust gases that is creating a hot spot that affects the plating.  I've seen the same kind of repetitive issue on some of the early Screamin' Eagle mufflers, and on the early versions of the V&H Pro Pipe, to name a couple of examples. 

Contact the Rush folks and see what they have to say.  If this is a widespread issue, they may already have a redesign underway or in place.  1-866-994-RUSH   

BTW, the actual name of the company is Exhaust Productions Inc (EPI).  Seems they've been making mufflers and pipes for other companies for years, before they started their own brand (Rush).  Had a nice writeup in the local paper this past weekend.  http://nwitimes.com/articles/2009/06/07/business/business/doce6c2bf3f9749e561862575cc0059bdcc.txt

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

StevieMo

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »

I also have the same issue after only about 1000 miles.  I cant say that I would reccomend Rush.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 05:18:56 PM »

who installed them?

They were on the bike from the previous owner.  I am sure they were done at the dealership

davidceder

• CVO1: 2009 Fat Bob CVO FXDFSE
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »

I have a similar problem just behind the clamps. I call it "blowback" because I have no other term for it. I also tried EVERYTHING. I even worked hard enough to dull the chrome on the lower pipe. This week after noticing the blowback I grabbed a big white pencil eraser and Voila, took it right off. Don't know if you have the same thing going on. Wait till the pipes cool and give it a try.

Good Luck

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 09:00:29 AM »

Big white pencil eraser? Can you elaborate?
  Gary

davidceder

• CVO1: 2009 Fat Bob CVO FXDFSE
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 09:40:44 AM »

I wasn't very clear was I? I happen to have a white pencil eraser. It is a normal pencil eraser but instead of being on the end of the pencil it is just a larger hand held eraser. Mine measures about 2 inches by 3/4 inches. It is sort of the size a professional drafts person might use. I am confident you can find them at a store such as WalMart. Try a regular pencil eraser. Just go lightly to start with.....

Let me know how it goes.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »

who installed them?

The local H-D dealership via previous owner

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 07:35:49 AM »

wouldn't surprise me if the clamps weren't tightened  to torque
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Lancelot

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 02:50:12 AM »

Well?  Did the eraser thing work?

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.