Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Visor/Headlamp fairing for FXR's.  (Read 18568 times)

RedFXR2

Visor/Headlamp fairing for FXR's.
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »

I had been kicking this idea around for a while and finally decided to go ahead with it.  Partly just to change the look of the bike around for a while, partly to figure out a way to have something else painted Arresting Red.  I got a Headlamp visor fairing kit for FXR's from HD (part number 68129-97, retail minus 20%= $98.06), and a mounting kit for same (68135-97, retail minus 20%= $39.40).  My friends up at Dangerous Curves custom painting charged me $172.00 to paint the inside of the fairing satin black and the outside (their match) Arresting Red.

It's supposed to bolt right onto production FXR's, but our bikes don't use the same headlight or mounting hardware (those bikes used a hanging headlight suspended from the top tree) so some "customizing" comes in to play in three ways.  One, I had to raise the headlight  about another 1/2 inch off the lower triple tree.  After searching the shops for a taller mounting post, I finally had to settle for a 1/2 inch chrome spacer.  Not my first choice, but I couldn't find a proper length headlight mount post.  Oh well.  The spacer is mostly concealed anyway.  Second, I had to trim the inside lip of the headlight opening.  I used a Dremel tool and cut-off wheel after marking the newly desired depth of the lip I wanted.  Otherwise, the fairing extends too far out from the headlight rim (IMO) and the reach of the lip at the top, much longer than at the bottom, forces the faring to tilt noticeably forward/upward.  Not the look I wanted.  And third, I had to slightly bend the metal attaching bracket in the mounting kit to match the new contour of the fairing against the top triple tree.

I'm pretty pleased with the look, and had fun doing it.  The only downside is the loss of my small tool bag that attaches to the top tree.  The opening of the fairing looks like it will allow a small leather pouch of a different shape but about the same volume however, so I'm looking for one.

It's cloudy down here today--too bad because I love that red in the sun. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:28:25 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

Re: Visor/Headlamp fairing for FXR's.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »

A closer look from the side,

omgtkk

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »

Red, I like it.  With that bikini fairing you can now join the Sons of Anarchy.  May have to give up the arresting red for vivid black though.

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:17:44 PM »

Red, I like it.  With that bikini fairing you can now join the Sons of Anarchy. 

Funny you mention that show because although I haven't seen it, I read on another forum about the number of bikes used in it that have these headlight fairings installed.  I guess I should watch an episode.

Heck, I was trying for the "back in the day" look of the FXR Warbird kits, but so far I haven't found the accompanying chin fairing.  Apparently everyone who made those for FXR's stopped production some time back.  At this point, I'm watching ebay and thinking about how much I want one.

Abbynormal

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 yellow
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »

That looks very sharp!  How did you get to be so clever?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »

Mike, that totally changes the look of the bike, man!  You come up with the neatest mods! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

You did a great job on it Mike, but you know what I have to say about fairings! So to be nice to you, all I'll say is great job! :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »

...you know what I have to say about fairings!

Even one that little? :nixweiss:

;D ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:22:37 AM »

Even one that little? :nixweiss:

;D ;D

No discrimination here! ANY fairing. I don't even want a windshield, but it's a necessary evil for touring. None of my street bikes will ever have a W/S or fairing though! Nothing personal, or any disrespect intended. Just how I like my rides! ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:30:23 AM »

Just how I like my rides!

Cool.  That's what's great about these things.  Make 'em what you want.  Then make 'em something else that you want.  Every time I think I'm "done", I think of something else.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »

Funny you mention that show because although I haven't seen it, I read on another forum about the number of bikes used in it that have these headlight fairings installed.  I guess I should watch an episode.

Heck, I was trying for the "back in the day" look of the FXR Warbird kits, but so far I haven't found the accompanying chin fairing.  Apparently everyone who made those for FXR's stopped production some time back.  At this point, I'm watching ebay and thinking about how much I want one.

like this one ?
http://www.corbin.com/harley/warbird/wbfxrchin.shtml

or this one ?
http://www.chopperscycle.com/page/VTS/PROD/46-75/28836

here's the warbird tail
http://www.corbin.com/harley/warbird/wbfxrtail.shtml

be sure to INCLUDE pics when you put this on !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »

like this one ?

EEEWWW!!! :nixweiss:

or this one ?

Not too bad if an oil cooler goes behind it. ;)

here's the warbird tail

Not on my BLUE3!!! :o

HeHe!!! ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 02:21:48 PM by Hoist! »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »

well, everyone has different taste .... the're interesting to look at, but you won't see any of that on my '4'    .......... I'm just sayin'
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 02:39:13 AM »

It's always tough to tell how "paint' specifically looks in a photo as compared to seeing such in person......but from your photo the paint looks awesome.......personally I am not a huge fan of that "fairing" look....just not my taste, it's amazing how such a minor change can really change the appearance of a bike.....Looks like you did a quality "modification"......

Congrats.... :2vrolijk_21:

Arresting red is such a beautiful color.....

Mike thanks for sharing about your modification......it's always fun to see what everyone is doing with our bikes......

Regards,

Tim

RedFXR2

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 07:03:46 AM »

like this one ?

Nahh.  I've seen those and they're not what I was looking for

or this one ?

That one's more like it.  Those were made by Rifle, but they've been discontinued.  I would have liked that one because it kept the voltage regulator out in the breeze.  Not available, though.  Along with every other one of the smaller ones like this--I've looked and been on the phone..

here's the warbird tail

That's just plain going too far--never wanted that piece.  Maybe on another productiion FXR but not my "2".

Bottom line is that I've pretty much stopped looking for a chin spoiler at all.  I might surf ebay once in a while, but even if I saw one I'm not sure I'd buy it any longer.  Kinda done with the enthusiasm for that project, although I still like the visor fairing.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 24 queries.