Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From Drag Bars to Buckhorns  (Read 2614 times)

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
From Drag Bars to Buckhorns
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »

I decided that I wanted Buckhorn bars on my -4, so as to get a more comfortable ride and more use out of it.  It ended up requiring a little more work than I envisioned, but turned out well.

I wanted to keep the original riser clamp with the indicator lamps, but mount it on short Superglide style risers.  That left some ugly to be taken care of.

I took care of that by mounting a second upper fork bracket cover on top of the original one.

I was able to use the original switch wiring, there was plenty of slack to be found under the tank where the connectors are.  But the brake hose, clutch cable and throttle cables were all too short and had to be replaced.  All in all it came out well enough and is much more enjoyable to ride.

2010Convertable

• I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
  • Full CVO Member
Re: From Drag Bars to Buckhorns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »

Good looking bike Thermodyne... :2vrolijk_21:
There's more to me than just a handsome face...
I poured root beer into a square cup. Now I just have beer.
I have a 2010 Softail CVO Convertible and a
2013 Red Switchback

curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:58:59 AM »

I changed to buckhorns too but kept the original riser.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:38:10 AM »

My Bike too had drag bars. Looked cool but were a drag on long rides . I had stock Buckhorns onmy 89 FXR I bought new I 89. I put some on my FXR4 in 2008. There are many versions of Buckhorns.  Mine are wider at the base than yours but hey that's what makes all bikes different to fit the Rider. Enjoy your Ride! I definitely enjoy mine!

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »

My Bike too had drag bars. Looked cool but were a drag on long rides . I had stock Buckhorns onmy 89 FXR I bought new I 89. I put some on my FXR4 in 2008. There are many versions of Buckhorns.  Mine are wider at the base than yours but hey that's what makes all bikes different to fit the Rider. Enjoy your Ride! I definitely enjoy mine!

What kind of pipe do you have on it?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 09:19:49 PM »

The Muffler 2 into 1 was made by Stainless Specialties in Tennesse (400 bucks). 16 guage Stainlees Steel, The outer body is 3.5" the straight through core is 2.250" I beleive. Very throughty sound of a S&S V111. The headers are also 16 guage S.S. I bought a selection of bends and Flash Motor Works fitted and welded the pipes. The a 3 peice set of pipes. They are one of a kind S.S. stepped 2 into 1 pipes.
I am very pleased. The motor is in perfect tune as you can see only the first 2" of pipe at the exhaust ports have turned color due to the heat. Most of the pipes have turned a Golden almost yellow and it matches the paint sort of. If you pay a grand for pipes why not have a one of a kind! They sound great at Idle, 3000 (85 mph 6 speed overdrive) and 5800 RPM!!!!

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.