Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: XM Reception  (Read 20343 times)

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
Re: XM Reception
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »

What about channel 150 ;D :D

BTW, I have no issues with my reception and I too have the bar and shield trim piece.  Sounds like an issue with your antenna and location.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

SixGun

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Life is too short to drink out-of-date beer"
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 08:47:08 AM »

Move your antenna!  The folks that experience no problems live in an area where the satellite is more directly above them and probably have few trees. 

If your driving in a hilly wooded road with the satellite behind you, you might as well plug in your IPOD!

The 115 degree Satellite location should be off the coast of Mexico and the 85 degree location should be south of Florida around Cuba.  I'm not sure of the latitudes but I thought they were around 20 degrees or so which would put them south of the US a bit.  They could be higher than that but I'm not sure.  I think that they put them closer to the equator for some reason...I'm no Rocket Surgeon so I can't figure it out.

So depending on what satelite your channels are coming over you can figure out where your antenna would have to have line of sight to see it.
Unapologetically American!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 12:39:35 PM »

I've moved my antenna location a lot.  It's been to the east coast, west of the Rockies, to the Gulf coast and across the Canadian border.  In that one stock location inside the fairing it's worked in all those location  8) .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 12:43:09 PM »

I've moved my antenna location a lot.  It's been to the east coast, west of the Rockies, to the Gulf coast and across the Canadian border.  In that one stock location inside the fairing it's worked in all those location  8) .

Does the XM signal reception improve when it bounces off a metal plate in your head?   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 12:45:21 PM »

Does the XM signal reception improve when it bounces off a metal plate in your head?   :nixweiss:

It's a reflection/refraxion/regurgitation thing.    You lean over and hold your head just right.  It causes the signal to bounce off your dome, against the specially tinted refractory covering on the speedometer lens.  The signal than bounces back to your head in its new spread spectrum and beams forward toward the antenna where it pukes out all the music.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »

It's a reflection/refraxion/regurgitation thing.    You lean over and hold your head just right.  It causes the signal to bounce off your dome, against the specially tinted refractory covering on the speedometer lens.  The signal than bounces back to your head in its new spread spectrum and beams forward toward the antenna where it pukes out all the music.

Wow.  Guess I had better get a metal plate installed in my head pronto so I can get a better radio signal!  Small price to pay if the reception is THAT much better.  Thanks!

Wonder which type of metal plate is best - titanium or aluminum?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »

You been hangin' out with iski too much.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »

You been hangin' out with iski too much.

We have never been seen together and there are no pics to prove it, anyway.

I looked over my shoulder just to be sure.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 12:52:28 PM »

Wow.  Guess I had better get a metal plate installed in my head pronto so I can get a better radio signal!  Small price to pay if the reception is THAT much better.  Thanks!

Anything with a highly radioactive isotope is much cooler.  Not only will it power the radio when the bike is turned off, you can ride without a helmet and lean your head one way or the other to function as a turn signal.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 12:53:16 PM »

We have never been seen together and there are no pics to prove it, anyway.

I looked over my shoulder just to be sure.

Wasn't me.  I hear all the voices in my head right now and we're all by ourselves.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »

Anything with a highly radioactive isotope is much cooler.  Not only will it power the radio when the bike is turned off, you can ride without a helmet and lean your head one way or the other to function as a turn signal.

Are you wunna them thar greenie anti-electricity from batteries types?  Suggestin' I noocleerize my noggin is not something I would do, unless paid a small stipend by the Atomic Energy Commission for educational purposes only, of course. Radium would work, and as an added benefit, I would never need another hair cut.   :nixweiss:

A few years back I considered getting my teeth capped in a colorful array so I could grin and avoid unnecessary turn signal usage, but changed my mind, which disappointed my dentist somewhat. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 01:00:46 PM »

Wasn't me.  I hear all the voices in my head right now and we're all by ourselves.

I hear my voices and sometimes other peoples voices but never the voices in your head since they are not speaking to the voices in my head.

Have we successfully hijacked this thread at this point? 

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »

Chrome of course, was there even a question.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2007, 03:11:14 PM »

Chrome of course, was there even a question.

Thanks. Makes sense.   I suppose the radium idea was a bit far fetched.  I blame Don of course since it was his idea to go radioactive.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »

This thread has not been hijacked.  Or Lojakked.  It is instead now a post apocolyptic post nuclear environment inhabited by trolls and four year olds.  I am (proudly) one of the four year olds.  I am also naked beneath my clothes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 09:51:14 PM by Twolanerider »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.