Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: XM Woes and Fix  (Read 3195 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
XM Woes and Fix
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:37:12 PM »

I was having issues with the XM cuttin in and out and the reception bar going from 1 to 3 to 0 to 3 etc

Took the bike into the dealer for this issue as I had heard there were a few issues with the 09 radios.

They took the bike for a ride and verified what I was telling them.  They then called Tech Services and they were told the new pretty Chrome window strip on our 09 Ultra's is getting in the way of the signal.    :confused5:

I asked them if we can move the XM antenna down on top of the XM box on top of the radio as that is not in the way and we did (remember to remove the magnets from the bottom of the antenna and leave them on the original mount)

Have about a 100 miles since the simple fix and no more issues.

If you remove the chrome strip the problem also goes away.   Would have thought the MoCo would have field tested something like this.

Side note: paid the 4 dollars a month to get the reprogramming on the bike to now pick up the Sirius Football and Nascar Channels they internally programmed at XM   :)  so my channels 118,119,120 - 124 are now the games.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:39:07 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: XM Woes and Fix
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »

I was having issues with the XM cuttin in and out and the reception bar going from 1 to 3 to 0 to 3 etc

Took the bike into the dealer for this issue as I had heard there were a few issues with the 09 radios.

They took the bike for a ride and verified what I was telling them.  They then called Tech Services and they were told the new pretty Chrome window strip on our 09 Ultra's is getting in the way of the signal.    :confused5:

I asked them if we can move the XM antenna down on top of the XM box on top of the radio as that is not in the way and we did (remember to remove the magnets from the bottom of the antenna and leave them on the original mount)

Have about a 100 miles since the simple fix and no more issues.

If you remove the chrome strip the problem also goes away.   Would have thought the MoCo would have field tested something like this.
Side note: paid the 4 dollars a month to get the reprogramming on the bike to now pick up the Sirius Football and Nascar Channels they internally programmed at XM   :)  so my channels 118,119,120 - 124 are now the games.

Would have thought the MoCo would have field tested something like this.

Probably the same guy spose to be checking sidestands.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:13:38 PM »

Speakin' of XM, has Sirius availability moved along yet?  I have the Sirius machine in the garage tuned to Channel 14 Classic Vinyl,, and they call themselves "Sirius Classic Vinyl XM" or something like that.  Leads me to believe that once Thump comes home, I can add Sirius Channel 14.  Seems like they were saying Sirius channel 14 and XM 46 are the same.  Any truth to that from those who have an operational SEUC  (unlike me)?   :huepfenlol2:

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 11:07:25 PM »

not moved on only select programming like nascar and football and howard stern :)
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »

Yeah, XM & Sirius better just merge the two music services w/o charging add'l. fee per month and hope that the existing subscribers don't let their subscriptions lapse......the stock is already selling for pennies and their debt. is going to be hard cover now.......it's going to be 'survival' time for Sirius with the auto sales in the toilet.  :toilet: JMHO.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »

Probably the same guy spose to be checking sidestands.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
UH-OH, what'd I miss with the sidestands?

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 11:30:52 PM »

UH-OH, what'd I miss with the sidestands?
yer good to go, dude.  that was an 09 challenge that's been addressed.   :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »

Yeah, XM & Sirius better just merge the two music services w/o charging add'l. fee per month and hope that the existing subscribers don't let their subscriptions lapse......the stock is already selling for pennies and their debt. is going to be hard cover now.......it's going to be 'survival' time for Sirius with the auto sales in the toilet.  :toilet: JMHO.  spyder

Yeah, that worries me a little, Spydy.  We have three sets, and love the Sirius stuff, but it is what it is.   :nixweiss:

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:38:13 PM »

not moved on only select programming like nascar and football and howard stern :)

figures.  hopefully soon. thx. 

CVOUltra09

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »

Unbalanced-

- What "chrome window strip" are you referring to?

Thanks,
JD

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 01:54:42 PM »

I have the HD B&S Chrome strip on my 08 and don't have any problems, can't see why the new "Rumble" version would be any different.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »

Unbalanced-

- What "chrome window strip" are you referring to?

Thanks,
JD

The one right below the windshield that is held on by the 3 bolts that also holds the fairing in place.

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »

Whenever I drive near trees mine cuts out..

Should I split the fairing and move it like you suggest or is that normal for XM to lose the signal in the trees?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 10:06:05 PM »

Should I split the fairing and move it like you suggest or is that normal for XM to lose the signal in the trees?
My XM antenna is under the fairing and I get better reception than I did when it was mounted on the GPS above the dash.  But, it still cuts out if there are a lot of overhanging trees or tunnels or tall buildings blocking the signal.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »

I've had satellite radios on my bikes for the last 3 or 4 years - the XM on my 09 SEUC does cut out more often than other (Sirius) unit I used previously. The Sirius radio was self-mounted and had an exposed antenna (mounted it on the tourpak behind the seatback)  That being said it is normal for satellite radio to lose signal when in heavy trees, under bridges, etc as it is line-of-sight signal. (Sort of like losing your home satellite TV service in a heavy rain)

Many satellite radios have a built-in way to build up and store signal so you don't notice this effect as much.  Unfortunately the unit used by the MoCo doesn't seem to have much signal storage built in.  

If you are happy with the radio most of the time then re-locating the antenna is probably more trouble than its worth.  Of course, the other solution is to move north a bit.  Here in VA there's no leaves this time of year to interfere with radio reception.<grin>

cheers
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.