Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: K&N Replacement Filter  (Read 1233 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
K&N Replacement Filter
« on: April 30, 2006, 10:17:32 PM »

I am considering replacing the stock air filter with a K&N instead of going with the SE air kit or Big Sucker.  I realize I may not get quite as much air flow but really how much difference is there?  When I take my stock air filter off there is an opening in the back plate where air obviously enters the EFI system and engine.  The opening is only so big.  How does the back plate on the SE air kit or Big Sucker increase that opening and allow more air?  Or is it that you are mainly creating more air flow by eliminating the stock back plate and it's 5 holes and beng able to breathe all the way around the filter?

I'm not after maximum performance, just a better running bike.  So what's wrong with just replacing the stock filter with the K&N, installing a set of Rinehart slip ons, a SERT and having it dyno tuned??  

Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:18:36 PM by dakotazeb »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: K&N Replacement Filter
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 10:57:42 PM »

Maybe those more mechanically inclined may be able to answer this better, but what comes to my mind is the following. You are letting more exhaust out, but you are not allowing more air in. Even though you are switching out the filters, which will be the same size (just better quality), but because backplate stays the same you aren't going to get more airflow into the engine. Therefore I think you will be still restricting the intake for the engine. Again this is just my impression, others may be able to give you more feedback.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »

I ran the HD-1499 (direct replacement) on mine when it was in stock form, bike ran good like that, but after deciding to change the pipes I figured I'd need to let more air in also.  Not sure on that new K&N, it seems big, a regular download might not be enough, a good Dyno tuner would be in order for that setup.  I just added a K&N HD-0800 to my SE Air setup and it seems to work fine, still gettin low-mid 40's for mileage.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 08:09:14 AM »

I'm certainly no expert, but have read enough on here about this subject to at least comment....from my understanding, the stock backplate is very restrictive, and although they make a direct (size wize) replacement for the stock filter from K&N, which might let a little more air in just because of the filter itself, it probably won't be more than the 10% range without the backplate.  Check out the thread on SE "Roll your own" AC...it gives the HD part numbers for the Chrome backplate and other parts without having to buy the "kit" which includes the crappy AC.  You wind up saving money this way, plus you get a chrome backplate.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I'm putting that on mine pre-delivery with the SE Pro Slip-Ons (not available after 5/31 from what I've read)...they're supposed to have a download for that setup without having to buy the SERT and do any dyno work.  My dealer said they would get the K&N for the "roll your own" set up mentioned above.  A couple of the guys on here run/ran the SE pipes and they're supposed to be a good sound, but not too loud, but better than stock.  BUT...this set-up will not give you the maximum power you could get out of the RH and the SERT, IF you know someone who can do the dyno work correctly and is familiar with the SERT. I'm not sure about the RH slip ons and how much they would differ in total scavaging from the SE Pro's, but I would think there would be some difference because they are louder...at least that is my understanding.  Whatever you do, I think the stock backplate would need to go because of the turbulance it creates going into the TB.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.