Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowboys rain mod.....  (Read 1262 times)

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
Cowboys rain mod.....
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »

Hello Friends,
I risk you laughing at me, but I do not like the black sock rain guard over the filter housing chrome...  It reminds me of a Cuban hair net or something...   Now I am considering a four day run south with the Brothers to break in my CVO, and it is an iffy forecast of possible showers.  Now there is no way I am going to stop, dig around in the pannier boxes to find this Cok Sok Hair Net thing to put it on, and I hate the look of it covering the chrome looking like you did not unpack the bike yet... heh he... So here is my invention, the Harley Shop here loves it..

I am open to your comments... Good or Bad...  Another Cowboy invention..  One hole drilled in hair net center..

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:15:00 AM by Cowboy2 »

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

Re: Cowboys rain mod.....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »

Hello Friends,
I risk you laughing at me, but I do not like the black sock rain guard over the filter housing chrome...  It reminds me of a Cuban hair net or something...   Now I am considering a four day run south with the Brothers to break in my CVO, and it is an iffy forecast of possible showers.  Now there is no way I am going to stop, dig around in the pannier boxes to find this Cok Sok Hair Net thing to put it on, and I hate the look of it covering the chrome looking like you did not unpack the bike yet... heh he... So here is my invention, the Harley Shop here loves it..

I am open to your comments... Good or Bad...  Another Cowboy invention..  Two holes drilled in hair net center..

Genius...Looks good, just dont forget to remove it later...LOL

Hx3

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - Blue
    • CVO2: Not CVO - 2008 Crossbones
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:58:01 PM »

I like it.   :2vrolijk_21:  Simple solution that I may adopt for my Sturgis trip.

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »

Genius...Looks good, just dont forget to remove it later...LOL

Greg, why remove it later?  I am thinking just clean it off with a damp rag once in a while and make it permanent...  Cannot see a downside, and it is always there when you get caught in a shower...   :nixweiss:

Cowboy 

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »

Greg, why remove it later?  I am thinking just clean it off with a damp rag once in a while and make it permanent...  Cannot see a downside, and it is always there when you get caught in a shower...   :nixweiss:

Cowboy 
Hells bells ... I guess cause its HD ...  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

johna

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »

Cowboy it looks neat.
I am no expert but on mine I fitted monster ovals, SERT and a breather to try and cool it down. Even here in winter (mild days) the rear cylinder shuts down due to overheating in traffic.

With what you have set up will it restrict the air flow more and maybee make overheating worse??
Maybee someone else can advise.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »

Gas mileage sucks with it on so I would not run it all the time. Low cruising speeds you don't notice the difference much but I ran back and forth from Austin TX to Ft. Stockton TX using I-10 which has a posted speed limit of 80 so you can run 90. Got around 30 mpg. A few weeks later I rode the same road going to the Western GTG without the sock on and got 35~37 mpg.

I only use the sock when it is really heavy rain.

Your mileage may vary.

semperfi81

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5B #860 of 999
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »

Gas mileage sucks with it on so I would not run it all the time. Low cruising speeds you don't notice the difference much but I ran back and forth from Austin TX to Ft. Stockton TX using I-10 which has a posted speed limit of 80 so you can run 90. Got around 30 mpg. A few weeks later I rode the same road going to the Western GTG without the sock on and got 35~37 mpg.

I only use the sock when it is really heavy rain.

Your mileage may vary.

X2 :2vrolijk_21: I agree :coolblue:

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:37 AM »

See,
now that is the beauty of this Forum... Fuel economy, I did not even think of that.  But is that wet filter if you get caught in a shower going to cause more problems??   I still like looking at it bare chrome..  Maybe I will keep the sock in the glove box..   Oh well, I am going on a long trip tomorrow, and running a little rich on break in can only help cool it.  It is too lean that is the problem with overheating and all..  I will take it off when I get back...  Maybe just keep it in the glove box????

Tell you what Brothers, I will run a test myself, dry filter fuel economy, dry filter and sock on fuel economy... Later .....

Best regards from Australia...  On the road with the Cowboy.

sammy56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG Ruby red
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 05:12:56 AM »

Looks nice. Have a great trip.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 05:31:50 AM »

Cowboy, Your scooter looks great!

Happy Trails!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 06:11:18 AM »

Brilliant idea Cowboy, but that first post and description was some funny sh#t  ;D
Al

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 22 queries.