Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starter noise  (Read 1178 times)

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Starter noise
« on: September 30, 2020, 04:41:58 PM »

Just want to share my almost year long start-up noise troubleshooting. I could never find my problem on this forum. It is difficult to find old posts that I commented on or to find a previous post that has to do with my problem. lol could be just me. Anyway back to the problem. My 13' had a terrible noise mostly on first start-up. The posts I would find here all said compensator R2 but I wasn't sold on that. For me it had to be a running motor noise for a bad comp or on shut down. Mine was just on start-up. Long story short I finally found a you tube video with my exact problem. Sometimes it took me 2/3/4 tries to start the bike. It was embarrassing during rides with groups. After removing the starter and replacing the starter clutch the problem is gone!!!! So this is just fyi for anyone that has had this situation. Total fix time was 2 hours.....Eazy..Pezy..

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Starter noise
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 08:51:59 PM »

Just want to share my almost year long start-up noise troubleshooting. I could never find my problem on this forum. It is difficult to find old posts that I commented on or to find a previous post that has to do with my problem. lol could be just me. Anyway back to the problem. My 13' had a terrible noise mostly on first start-up. The posts I would find here all said compensator R2 but I wasn't sold on that. For me it had to be a running motor noise for a bad comp or on shut down. Mine was just on start-up. Long story short I finally found a you tube video with my exact problem. Sometimes it took me 2/3/4 tries to start the bike. It was embarrassing during rides with groups. After removing the starter and replacing the starter clutch the problem is gone!!!! So this is just fyi for anyone that has had this situation. Total fix time was 2 hours.....Eazy..Pezy..

Unfortunate it took so long to finally get it sorted but good on ya for keeping at it and finding the problem.  Compensators gave so much trouble for so long one can kind-of understand how they could get blamed for just about anything.  Noise?  Vibration? Start issues? Bird crap on the saddle?  It's a compensator...  It was just about that bad for a long time.

The starter clutches gave more problem on the starters a generation prior to yours but I've seen a couple of your era starters need the same fix.  The benefit to yours is that it is much MUCH easier to get the starter on and off.  Congrats on getting the beastie fixed :2vrolijk_21: .

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: Starter noise
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 09:32:27 AM »

Thanks Twolanerider...Yes I didn't have to mess with a jackshaft like my 2000 Ultra. The torque spec in the maint. book back then had me over torque it and snapped the bolt. Had to call the dealer to get an updated spec... :-X
I think my buddy with an 08' ultra having the same problem was waiting on me to figure mine out first then have me fix his..  lol
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:39:11 AM by ultra13 »

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 24 queries.