Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: 02 SERG OR 09 RG  (Read 7546 times)

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 serg
    • My company site
02 SERG OR 09 RG
« on: November 17, 2008, 08:11:37 AM »

Hey , this is my 1st post, so I hope its in the right place.  I have only 2 days to make this decision. MY neighbor is offering me his 01 serg with (get this) 1000 miles on it. for 18000. (maby even 17k).

My question is that after I read the review of the 09 "non" SE Road Glide in Motorcycle consumer news, they feel that the suspension upgrades are light years ahead of the previous FL frame, plus there are other enhancements in the technology area. If im not mistaken the 01 is even has carbs.   The motors are about the same size.

I would like the SERG because of the special nature of CVO plus all that nice chrome and stuff.  But is it a silly decision considering I can get a new bike under warrantee that the reviewers are raving about.

So, the question is do I go for a brand new Road Glide stock  or for almost the same price the older serg in almost new condition.
PS. I owned a 03 SEEG and wish i never sold it!
any feedback is much appreciated!!  Steve

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: 02 SERG OR 09 RG
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »

A few things

1)   You type 02 SERG in your subject header. NO SUCH THING!

2)   You ask what a 01 SERG is worth but tell us nothing (except mileage) about it.

3)   You ask about a 09 "non" S/E Road Glide. That makes no sense. It's either a R/G or it's a SERG. There's no such thing as a "non" S/E road Gide.

4)   If I had the choice of a SERG or a standard R/G for close to the same money. The SERG will be at my house. Even if the 09's ride great.

5)   03 SEEG?  There is no such bike. You may have bought it in 03 but it was titled 04 if it was a SEEG.

6)   Welcome to the site!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:24:35 AM »

Hey thanks for that fast reply.  Now that my kids are on the bus, I can concentrate better!

I had an 04 CVO electraglide the blue and black, it was awsome but a back operation put me out for a while and I sold it on a whim!

I did mean to say 01 SERG.  It has 950 miles on it because my neighbor rides his softail and thought he was going to take trips on the SERG but never did.  He is the second owner, but the 1st guy also had a few bikes and they are very tight friends so it never got rode ( sounds weird I know), He is not my next door neighbor but a guy around the block, so I dont really know him.

The bike looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday, and I know the dearlership it came from.

one thing that caught my eye was that I thought this bike had the same detenator wheels my 04 had, which were polished chrome all around. but this bike has a wheel that has a unpollished finish on certail sections. and then pollished on the sides. I guess I check the harley website to print out the exact specs.

hes got everything including the back support for the driver.

I never thought my 04 SEEG bike handled poorly or suffered from wobbling etc, but now Im reading reviews of the new frame and the reviewers are trashing the old frame, one guy even said that he rode a 07 CVO Electra glide and
couldn't keep it in a straight line going down the highway!  That guy must have had vertigo or something!!!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:28:48 AM by bakes »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:34:08 AM »

Hey thanks for that fast reply.  Now that my kids are on the bus, I can concentrate better!

I had an 04 CVO electraglide the blue and black, it was awsome but a back operation put me out for a while and I sold it on a whim!

I did mean to say 01 SERG.  It has 950 miles on it because my neighbor rides his softail and thought he was going to take trips on the SERG but never did.  He is the second owner, but the 1st guy also had a few bikes and they are very tight friends so it never got rode ( sounds weird I know), He is not my next door neighbor but a guy around the block, so I dont really know him.

The bike looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday, and I know the dearlership it came from.

one thing that caught my eye was that I thought this bike had the same detenator wheels my 04 had, which were polished chrome all around. but this bike has a wheel that has a unpollished finish on certail sections. and then pollished on the sides. I guess I check the harley website to print out the exact specs.

hes got everything including the back support for the driver.

I never thought my 04 SEEG bike handled poorly or suffered from wobbling etc, but now Im reading reviews of the new frame and the reviewers are trashing the old frame, one guy even said that he rode a 07 CVO Electra glide and
couldn't keep it in a straight line going down the highway!  That guy must have had vertigo or something!!!

Bakes

Try to get a picture of the 01 SERG so you can post it.

You sold your 04 on a whim?  I bet that a decision you have regretted many times over.

The wheel thing on that SERG is a little strange.

As far as the handling of the 09's, they are great. I'm not saying the previous was bad just that the 09's are that much better.

If the earlier SERG is in good shape, you will never regret buying it.

Keep us informed.

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 10:06:45 AM »

Couple of thoughts.

Yep, ya got your years screwed up. OK.

New Road Glide $20,000+ time it's said and done. You get a 1" bigger motor w/ a 2 year warranty. New taller frame which is superior to the '00/'01. It really is a better bike. You'll want to buy a tour pak and lowers so there's a couple of more thou.

'00 / '01: Class. Great bike w/ a lesser intake system. Assuming it's mechanically sound (sitting around for 7 or 8 years isn't a good thing) you'll have a great ride that will take you across the county and back. I briefly had an '00 and if H.D. hadn't come out w/ the SERG this year I'd still have it and be proud to ride it - anywhere.

If you're going to ride the wheels off it I'd go for a newer bike because of the warranty. If you intend to stay close to home I'd think real hard about the used one.

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 10:18:21 AM »

I sold my 04 SEEG with only 4500 miles, after I owned it for close to three years!

Im im really only going to use this new one with the same or less use.  I just dont have the time with two little ones around the house.  MY wife and I usually just take a 10-20 mile cruise on the weekends.   If I take 1 trip from LI to americade or something , thats about it.  So, I think im looking at the chrome and paint and having a unique ride.

Steve

JackLINY48

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »

Sounds like a decent price if its as nice as you say with those miles.  What color......blue or black/charcoal ?  I would love to see a pic too.  I own a blue one for almost 4 years.....a great bike, I doubt you will regret getting it.  Good luck !

Jack

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »

Here is my "logic".  You can always buy a std RG anywhere, anytime just like everbody else.  Today you will even get a great deal on one. However you will not find a low mileage 01 SERG everyday.  If you can buy it for $17 K (a decent price but not great) then I would get it.  You know the history of the bike and there is comfort in that.  It would be an easy decision for me.  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:28:37 PM »

Several months ago I would have said the price on the 01 was on the high side; even with the low mileage.  Mileage that low on a bike that old is actually a service concern.  But that's a separate issue you just have accept going in if you buy something like that.

However.....  With all the interest the new SE Road Glides have attracted and the way they've sold (even with the economy on a slide) I've noticed used prices on the classic SERGs rebounding.  The new SERGs are having a positive effect on the classic SERGs.  So now the price is probably closer to high average rather than just high.

Doesn't sound like you're going to ride either one a great deal anyway.  Nor do a tremendous amount of tinkering.  Just ride it around the neighborhood and enjoy it mostly.  That being so your choice is simple.  It's not about over the road reliability nor about balls out performance nor really any other factor other than which makes you feel better.  So...  which one makes you tingly in your special place when you look at it?  Figure that out and buy that one.

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »

I would have to go with the 09 RG.  The new frame and handling are fantastic.  The 01 SERG would be nice but only 950 miles I would say the seals will go if you start riding it.  Just my opinion.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 05:07:37 PM »

hmm, the opinions are coming in!!

Where let me add this info, I wont have a picture because I dont think ill see the bike again unless I pull the trigger. 

Also, its the black one!!

I wonder how much better the new Brembros are then the 01 brakes

good news is that I got my wifes blessing to buy either one. its alot better than just showing up at home with one, like I usually do!!!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:10:54 PM by bakes »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 05:13:13 PM »

My  Brembos work great. Like the CD better then cassettes too.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »

hmm, the opinions are coming in!!

Where let me add this info, I wont have a picture because I dont think ill see the bike again unless I pull the trigger. 

Also, its the black one!!

good news is that I got my wifes blessing to buy either one. its alot better than just showing up at home with one, like I usually do!!!!

Let me answer that.
I have the 01 and the 09.
It's a world of difference!
But I still love my 01 SERG!

You say the 01 SERG is a black one?  Like in Black and Gray?
If it's solid black it's not a SERG, , , unless it's been repainted.

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans

bakes

• Junior CVO Member

• My company site
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:01:16 PM »

black and grey with the eagles painted on the side. CD exchanger in the tour pac,
its got those fish hook or whatever you call them exhaust tips which I dont think are stock , but I know the exhaust is often the 1st thing to go when someone buys harleys .

I dont think there are any shenanagins (spelling ) here!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 06:06:51 PM »

black and grey with the eagles painted on the side. CD exchanger in the tour pac,
its got those fish hook or whatever you call them exhaust tips which I dont think are stock , but I know the exhaust is often the 1st thing to go when someone buys harleys .

I dont think there are any shenanagins (spelling ) here!

Sounds like a real 01 SERG.
Exhaust tips like those are called "Shark Fins"

Let us know what you decide!

:2vrolijk_21:

2018      Goldwing   
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 21 queries.