Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to center mufflers ###  (Read 1513 times)

xcmoose

• CVO1: CVO O/B Road Glide
Trying to center mufflers ###
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »

Any tips on trying to get the muffler centered in left side opening thinking of some sort of offset?

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Scorcher
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 - Titanium
    • CVO3: 2009 FLSTFSE3
Re: Trying to center mufflers ###
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:43:05 PM »

Been trying since I bought my SERG...   Got them close, but not perfect.
V&H Power Duals, CFR's - basically stock

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »

Been trying since I bought my SERG...   Got them close, but not perfect.
Ditto.

Cross over pipe where it comes off the right side.  Loosen the frame clamp from the bracket and the muffler clamp at the right joint, and then back it out as much as you're comfortable.  Theres not much there, but it'll help a little bit.  And, then you got another joint at the left muffler to crossover where you may be able to get a little more canted shift accomplished.  Other than that, there may be some play in the saddle bag carrier that the muffler attaches to,  but trying to change anything there changes the saddlebags also.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:09 PM »

Is this something like what you're trying to do?

I should have new stainless steel brackets in a couple weeks.

Yes, some loosening of the rear crossover and some loosening of the front muffler clamps will do most everything you need to do.

I just haven't taken my prototype brackets off and drawn them up yet on AutoCAD to be cut out on the waterjet.

I tried to rotate them on the current brackets and that helped, but if you go to an aftermarket tip that has orientation to it, twisting is not an option.

In the picture I still needed about 1/8" on the right and the left was pretty close.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »

this used to bug the fire out of me, so, once I got them set in right to meet up with the heatshields correctly and then varified that the both protruded from the saddle bags equally, I then figured what CENTER was and what I needed from edge of fender to edge of muffler. then, with the clamp still loose and the top supports just slightly threaded on, I rotated as needed to achieve results. once I got one side done the other was easy. usually just rotate in reverse.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:39:17 PM »

this used to bug the fire out of me, so, once I got them set in right to meet up with the heatshields correctly and then varified that the both protruded from the saddle bags equally, I then figured what CENTER was and what I needed from edge of fender to edge of muffler. then, with the clamp still loose and the top supports just slightly threaded on, I rotated as needed to achieve results. once I got one side done the other was easy. usually just rotate in reverse.

Larry, that's all very true.  When I aligned mine the first time I did the same thing, but all I could was to match them side to side (as in left muffler to right muffler).  There was not enough twist/rotate room to actually center the mufflers.

Also like I said, if you have any type of oriented tips, twisting/rotating the mufflers is not an option.

With my almost done brackets, you just loosen up the front muffler clamps and push the tail end of the muffler inward to center and tighten the two 5/16" bolts in a couple slots in the bracket.  For my left muffler I had to loosen the crossover and get the front of the left muffler further inward to get the inward push I needed at the end of the bags/fender.  I got to thinking about this afterwords and loosening the crossover for both mufflers is probably a better solution.

Right now I just have 11ga hot rolled plate that I've cut on the bandsaw to a pattern I needed.  The final brackets will be cut from 11ga stainless so nothing has to be done to them.

Just looking at the SERG almost makes me cry because HD had an opportunity to do a great thing with this new bike and they just let the little things piss us off; seat gap, chrome issues on the mirrors (mine is 9 weeks old and I have three pits already on the left mirror), rusty water on the belt guard from the swingarm and the mufflers not centered.  It's the little things that people remember and it's just a shame HD didn't do a better job on the '09 SERG.  Now I've read here that the '10 SESG has the same seat issues and of course the mufflers are no better than the '09 SERG.

Sorry for rambling, but it does just grind me that HD let this happen.

:(  :(  :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

xcmoose

• CVO1: CVO O/B Road Glide
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:28:33 AM »

Thanks guys for tips, This is what I ended up doing my left side was main problem. I tryed cross over pipe deal not working, I ended up cutting 1/2 inch off muffler end of cross over and made up stainless 3/4 inch offset bracket  Thanks again

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:06:26 AM »

Larry, that's all very true.  When I aligned mine the first time I did the same thing, but all I could was to match them side to side (as in left muffler to right muffler).  There was not enough twist/rotate room to actually center the mufflers.

Also like I said, if you have any type of oriented tips, twisting/rotating the mufflers is not an option.

With my almost done brackets, you just loosen up the front muffler clamps and push the tail end of the muffler inward to center and tighten the two 5/16" bolts in a couple slots in the bracket.  For my left muffler I had to loosen the crossover and get the front of the left muffler further inward to get the inward push I needed at the end of the bags/fender.  I got to thinking about this afterwords and loosening the crossover for both mufflers is probably a better solution.

Right now I just have 11ga hot rolled plate that I've cut on the bandsaw to a pattern I needed.  The final brackets will be cut from 11ga stainless so nothing has to be done to them.

Just looking at the SERG almost makes me cry because HD had an opportunity to do a great thing with this new bike and they just let the little things piss us off; seat gap, chrome issues on the mirrors (mine is 9 weeks old and I have three pits already on the left mirror), rusty water on the belt guard from the swingarm and the mufflers not centered.  It's the little things that people remember and it's just a shame HD didn't do a better job on the '09 SERG.  Now I've read here that the '10 SESG has the same seat issues and of course the mufflers are no better than the '09 SERG.

Sorry for rambling, but it does just grind me that HD let this happen.

:(  :(  :(
i'm sure if you have some other muffler with an angled cut this can be a biotch,  I quess I was assuming stock mufflers, with mine, they centered up fine.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Scorcher
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 - Titanium
    • CVO3: 2009 FLSTFSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:39:16 PM »

I apologize, I'm not running stock cans on mine.   I've been running the Bassani Scallop cuts since I bought my SERG.  The slash up scallops don't allow any rotation to help with alignment.
V&H Power Duals, CFR's - basically stock

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.