Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harley Paint Protection  (Read 6461 times)

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Harley Paint Protection
« on: July 01, 2016, 04:41:48 PM »

Did anyone purchase the "add-on" paint protection they sell you when you purchased your bike?  $500 seems steep for an application and the "insurance" which doesn't cover chips/etc. 

Does anyone know what they apply to the paint, etc?  What product?   Doesn't sound like it takes them long at all....so why not get the product and do it yourself? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Harley Paint Protection
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »

Did anyone purchase the "add-on" paint protection they sell you when you purchased your bike?  $500 seems steep for an application and the "insurance" which doesn't cover chips/etc. 

Does anyone know what they apply to the paint, etc?  What product?   Doesn't sound like it takes them long at all....so why not get the product and do it yourself? 

It sounds like something many car dealers sell, and if so it consists of a very high priced wax job.  Modern vehicle paint doesn't fade from UV exposure or any of the other stuff those products claim to prevent.  The urethane based clear coats most companies use are already highly resistant to airborne contaminants, so any claims about that are also bogus.

Did you get a brochure or any documentation for this "protection package"?  If so, see if you can scan it and attach it to a post so we can see exactly what you're talking about.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »

Nothing but "hype" (or another way to separate your $$$ from your wallet)... take that money get you some good wax, good liquor/beer (if you indulge) and spend an afternoon detailing (waxing) it yourself.... you will end up w/a better job and money in your pocket.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 11:41:40 PM »

As I have stated before on here, I have family members with 2 large new car dealerships, The HIGHEST profit point they have is the paint protection they sell for as much as $599.00 on larger vehicles. It costs them less than $50 and that inc the labor for the wash boys to rub on and off and slop some "fake" scotchgard stuff on the interior.
Why anyone in this day and age, with the internet available, would even consider this is just beyond me.
I have played with the stuff, it is not even a good quality wax, it is just crap. FYI.

n8schmitz

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:51:08 AM »

Completely agree with your statement.  I was wondering if anyone knew what product it was, buy it and then just apply it yourself. From what I have read, it might be Simoniz.  But no confirmation. Additionally, others are saying that's not that great of a product.

I'll be sticking to a good wax and leave it at that.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:56:20 AM »

It's a polymer paint sealant.  While it does enhance the "shine" and it'll make your paint as smooth as a new born baby's butt, you can get a gallon of it from just about any detail supplier for about $25.  I use Auto Magic.  Not available retail...you have to buy it from one of their distributors but the truck will come to you.

I use "#70 Seal It" but they have a number of really good products for a whole lot less than the retail products.  A gallon lasts me several years on the bike and truck.    http://www.automagic.com/products/

It's the same product that gives used cars that new "wet" look that most people can never seem to get back once they buy the used vehicle.  It's very easy application.  Put it on with a damp microfiber in a swirling motion, let it dry to a haze and just wipe it off.  It's not like applying a wax.....much, much easier to apply.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:02:03 PM »

I have to disagree with JC, we all have opinions. But to use a gloss enhancer that is developed to make a mistreated used car shine,  on a high value vehicle's paint that has no detoriation just makes no sense to me. Used car guys and new car dealers just want a chemical generated shine that will help sell the car/truck/bike. They could care less that the chemical's are really damaging the topcoat by causing accelerated breakdown to the clear. They only want a untrained wash boy to rub on-rub off a shine chemical.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 01:24:48 AM »

My point, if it's something you want....it's a hell of a lot cheaper to do it your self.

Not sure what you mean by "chemicals damaging the topcoat"?  There's been many members of this forum that's been in my home and saw my trophies, awards and placques and you don't get those with damaged top coat.  At least that's now how I got mine.  Hard to buy any product that doesn't have chemicals in it.

Car dealers (new or used....they all do it) and now motorcycle dealerships are offering the snake oil dance to line their pockets, just like Gary mentions above.

Like you said CVODon...we all have opinions and often they're not the same.   :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:28:29 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »

While some people in this world prefer to believe whatever salespeople tell them, others like me have the opposite attitude.  Trust me, I wasn't born with that mindset, I developed it over forty plus years through experience on both sides of the fence as a consumer and as a person who dealt with dealerships often in my line of work.  There was a time when car dealers made very tidy profits just on car sales and didn't sell all the snake oil products.  Then runaway inflation occurred in the 70's and this thing called sticker shock came into play when car and truck MSRP's shot upward and sales fell like a rock.  One response at that time was that manufacturers lowered the dealer discount (MSRP less Invoice) structure significantly in order to keep the MSRP increases in check while the manufacturers still increased their prices.  Overnight the dealers were making about half as much as before, and these days many small economy cars have less than 10% profit built in to MSRP.  Since the car business is super competitive and any customer with an internet connection can easily find dealer cost for a particular car, making the big bucks selling cars takes more work.  Enter the paint and interior protection packages, the add-on tape stripes and spoilers, the obligatory trip to the "Business Manager" during the sale to have financing, service contracts, etc. shoved where the sun don't shine, etc.  While I always say thanks but no thanks to all those various things, I at least understand why the car dealers do it.  Since Harley started replacing the old time motorcycle dealers with people from the auto sales business back in the 90's, more and more of them have brought those same business practices with them.  So it's not surprising that they throw some accessories on bikes in inventory and then jack up the prices well above what the bike is worth, push financing that includes a nice big commission for them, push ESP's that also pay them a nice commission, and now even the so-called protection packages that are more than 90% pure profit.

If people are lazy and just want a one stop shopping experience, they will pay dearly for that convenience.  Every one of those extra's, assuming they actually want them, can be obtained for less elsewhere if people care to take the time to arrange their own financing, wax job, accessories, service contracts, etc.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Asphalt_Cowboy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 04:38:34 PM »

I would be one of those that purchased the paint protection. However, I didn't pay what they asked.  I went back and forth with all the "add-ons" they offered me. When all was said and done, I got everything they offered me at 75% off what they originally wanted..

Here is the inside of the brochure of the Paint Protection.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »

AC, curious how long the coverage is good for?

West Coast GTG   

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 07:21:39 PM »

Also curious if anyone was successful in getting them to cover a pitting chrome wheel, footboard, etc. that Harley wouldn't.

Asphalt_Cowboy

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »

AC, curious how long the coverage is good for?

5 years.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 09:14:31 PM »

$500 (or 75% of that) still seems a relatively steep price for what's being described when the product is available for $25.

www.ebay.com/itm/121389779129

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »

JCZ, I didn't see the #70 Seal It in the site? TY, JC

It's a polymer paint sealant.  While it does enhance the "shine" and it'll make your paint as smooth as a new born baby's butt, you can get a gallon of it from just about any detail supplier for about $25.  I use Auto Magic.  Not available retail...you have to buy it from one of their distributors but the truck will come to you.

I use "#70 Seal It" but they have a number of really good products for a whole lot less than the retail products.  A gallon lasts me several years on the bike and truck.    http://www.automagic.com/products/

It's the same product that gives used cars that new "wet" look that most people can never seem to get back once they buy the used vehicle.  It's very easy application.  Put it on with a damp microfiber in a swirling motion, let it dry to a haze and just wipe it off.  It's not like applying a wax.....much, much easier to apply.

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 24 queries.